Enclosed Trailer Advice

dbarufaldi

Yeah - so when I mentioned spending the difference on aerodynamics, v-nose wasn't what I had in mind - most of the folks I've spoken with said it didn't seem to make a huge difference. The areas to focus are are, as Meat said, between the truck and trailer, and also the back end of the trailer. There are diffusers you can buy for the back of the trailer, and there are some fiberglass bulbs that can be added to the front, between the vehicles. I've been toying with a few other possibilities, but nothing solid to report, yet.

The height of the trailer is very important. If you can stand in the trailer, it's going to feel like you're pulling a barn through the wind. On days with a headwind, it actually feels like someone is applying the trailer brakes. Kills the mileage, especially as you try to go faster.

Dan B

Meat

Sorry Dan that I didn't see your post about aero being more important than weight. I just opened the thread, saw Ron mention it and commented.

Not that it is that big of a deal.

dbarufaldi

Meat;238517 wrote: Sorry Dan that I didn't see your post about aero being more important than weight. I just opened the thread, saw Ron mention it and commented.

Not that it is that big of a deal.
No worries - happy to have your input.

What do you know about those diffusers that get put on the back of a trailer, to lessen the negative pressure behind the trailer? I read conflicting reports - some say they work, some say no difference. These are the curvy v-shaped pieces you put in a row on the roof and/or sides.

Dan B

Rydell

Just my 2 cents, get a 7 foot width. 6 foot won't be wide enough to work on the bike inside the trailer if you wanted. You'd be tight on space with 3 bikes in there as well. Additionally, if you wanted to put cots down to sleep in there, you could mount them on the wall to fold down. If you did that, the 7 foot width comes in handy. You definitely want a v nose, little extra pocket space but mainly being more aerodynamic cutting through the wind resistance. A vehicle with the towing power or not, it will help gas mileage. More stable with crosswinds, too. Also consider electrical. You'll likely want an ac unit or heater in there when it's cold. Lights, drills, laptops, any number of reasons you'd really want electrical. Black in color attracts sunlight and can heat up fast at the paddock. But it looks better. Insulation can help. You don't need dual axles if you are simply towing bikes. Single axle is plenty, you'll still be at half capacity and they turn better too. Get electric brakes, makes the towing experience much better. Get a vent for your ac unit. Get a handle on the inside door so you can close it all the way at night, and open it in the morning (you'd be surprised at how few trailers have this) Get a rear ramp door.... obvious reasons. Built in lights on the inside are awesome, worth every penny I spent on them. Consider a window of some sort, somewhere. It gets a little claustrophobic with everything closed in a 7x12 black pitch box.

That's the sort of stuff that would have helped me to know when I was shopping :cool: I ended up with a 7x12 v-nose, black, vent, insulated (I work on the bike during winter and don't have a garage), single axle, rear ramp door, electrical hookup with 2 120v ceiling lights and standard electrical outlets, no windows :-(, no handle on the inside door :-(, sealed all the wood inside, carpeted the floor, etc etc

Good luck :cheers:

EDIT: wow. Just noticed the OP date.

Meat

dbarufaldi;238520 wrote: No worries - happy to have your input.

What do you know about those diffusers that get put on the back of a trailer, to lessen the negative pressure behind the trailer? I read conflicting reports - some say they work, some say no difference. These are the curvy v-shaped pieces you put in a row on the roof and/or sides.

Dan B
I haven't seen them. On aircraft we put little vortex generators near the trailing edge, but in front of the control surfaces, but that is for lowering the stall speed if it is needed, but they produce a small amount of drag.

I am curious about these pieces you speak of. Without seeing them I would be rather skeptical that they help, but they might.

When I am worried about the gap between my truck and trailer being too big for the air to get past it, I just speed up. ;-)

noobinacan

I'm psych'd about this since delivery date is soon...
already picked up the flooring (Kobalt Hexagon tiles) and debating weather to paint the walls white or light grey???
I'm staring to think light grey cause white will probably show dirty in no time ? thoughts welcome

and is this overkill ? plans plans plans..hah.

trailerBuild.jpg

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
noobinacan;239532 wrote: I'm psych'd about this since delivery date is soon...
already picked up the flooring (Kobalt Hexagon tiles) and debating weather to paint the walls white or light grey???
I'm staring to think light grey cause white will probably show dirty in no time ? thoughts welcome

trailerBuild.jpg
Aman,
if you don't mind post some pics when you're done...

not many people mention an 8-8.5 wide trailer that extra foot makes a huge difference on the inside and the outside isn't much different since they all use about the same width axels . the fenders over the wheels are on the inside of trailer instead of the outside . I have a 8.5 x 18 and i also have used it a few times to trailer a few different cars .I would definetly check your towing capacity of your truck first . My trailer is rated at 7,000 lbs but thats figuring in the weight of a car .You can register it at a lesser weight if your only using for it bikes and gear . hope this helps

matt2212

noobinacan;239532 wrote: I'm psych'd about this since delivery date is soon...

trailerBuild.jpg
Amen,
I would use an exterior semigloss white on the walls. It seems to reflect light well and make it not so claustrophobic, also it is washable and with you camping in it I think it will brighten it up a bit especially at night.

I have seen some bug screens that have velcro arround the edges.. maybe??

And if it makes you happy then it is never overkill... I am on my 2nd trailer and i learned a lot about how i wanted it set up the 2nd after loading and unloading the first many times. Maybe take the list and check it off little by little so you have time to refine it as you go along

good luck, congrats and post some pic's

dbarufaldi

matt2212;239736 wrote:
And if it makes you happy then it is never overkill... I am on my 2nd trailer and i learned a lot about how i wanted it set up the 2nd after loading and unloading the first many times. Maybe take the list and check it off little by little so you have time to refine it as you go along

good luck, congrats and post some pic's
This is exactly right. Still on my first enclosed trailer, and still re-working how it all goes together. Even though it's a work in progress, I carry so much more of what I want to have at the track, and get it all loaded and ready to roll way faster than the open trailer I used to use. A place for everything and everything in its place.

Dan B

dudette

I have a 5x10 vnose thule alluminum trailer with a window. It's 5'6" inside height with no ceiling vent...hence the window. I can put a window a/c unit in. It needed to fit in my single garage...it's why it's so short plus I got the barn doors. I like my BARN DOORS. Takes up less space and nice to put easy up next to trailer. And if it's warm you can open one side to let the breeze through. I do wish they enclosed the wheels to make it alittle wider but it works for me.

I have a 10"x 6'board to load the bike and I store it on one of the doors..simple. Fits 2 bikes and gear. Sleep 2...cots side by side.

Put extra lights and some outlets in for a heater or a/c, tire warmers, radio, hook up ur laptop or run exterior lights(ez up).
Donna
07 cbr600rr "I" 626

noobinacan

pics please ^ :)
the 10x6 board idea is pretty awesome...may do just that.

that is exactly the reason why I went with barn doors...as I do this, I'm learning that this trailer thing is like setting up your living room. apart from basic stuff, each one is going to be setup different.

Progress so far.
walls are done, went with light gray, I like it more over white IMO.
flooring is 2/3 done...

2012-04-29190023-1.jpg

2012-04-25170045.jpg