Entry, Apex, Exit: Orange Cones Mean Something?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agree with Dzum as usual. I'm the snail in A group, but I'm consistent. Your comment about chilling in I group gave me a chuckle. Nesba I group is damn quick! Your good attitude and willingness to learn will take you far safely. In spite of code using beemers, I still think a 600 is better for the track. You'll be able to focus on technique rather than managing all that power. I think you kind of realize that now. As far as motors lasting on prepped bikes, my advice is to go with a stock engine, rather than a built engine, for example, a super sport spec build or some such.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, stock is the way to go on the motor for longevity (usually). I keep the TZ set around stock settings. You get more miles before a rebuild, if everything goes well ;)

BZ

ZeroBahamutxRR

Pseudolus;246327 wrote: I don't even want to make it to A group. I figure it's impossible to not progress through the levels over time but I would be happy just chilling in I group indefinitely.
No to reiterate what others have said but having a open and humbled mind like yours is the key to this sport. Your story reminds me of times that CR's had to tell me to notch it down a bit and focus on more important things like body position (thanks Jim). Never the less, I've always been of the opinion of striving to be the best at what ever I do. The simple fact that :i: group consists of fresh :b: riders and almost :a: riders can make it rather congested at times, but this in turn will teach you much more. Being able to ride three wide through a turn while all three knowing each other is there and respecting each others line will put a bigger smile on your face than most other things. If you strive to be great at this sport then NESBA and their awsome CR's will defiantly get you there.

mjkuhno

D-Zum;246538 wrote:
My 2 cents on schools...Never done a Code School..but I just did YCRS and it was AMAZING. NO BS levels..they teach it to you then and there in those two days. You're overwhelmed by lunch on day #1.
+1

YCRS was awesome and my head is still buzzing from it.

beevan217

D-Zum;246540 wrote:

Making A group is where the REAL learning just begins..I promise you.

If you made A group, you've learned to be a safe, clean and relatively consistent Track Day rider. Speed/pace are part of the equation..but only part of it. You're probably pretty consistent..so faster guys can trust what you're doing to get by you..and you're probably confident enough to get around anyone slower...which RARELY happens to me..so I'm definitely one of the pretty consistent riders out there. ;)

I know I haven't stopped bugging my friends that are CR's now...they're still teaching me every weekend.
When Rude Boy first got bumped to "A" a few years ago, he said it was like "being in B group all over again". I got bumped back in July 2010. HE IS 100% CORRECT!!! I'm learning more in A than I did on the way to A. Like DZum said, the CR's still teach no matter the group.

Pseudolus

noobinacan;246520 wrote: they're there for you to knock em down...until someone comes over the PA and goes

"I & A riders, stop knockin down the cones"

-

30 mins later

"I & A riders ...stop kockin down the freakin CONES"

-
30 mins later

all cones are gone....ROFL!
LMAO!!!!!!!!

moman;246522 wrote: I'm planning on replacing track GSXR 750 with my S1000RR end of the season. Going to get another BMW for the street, maybe we should talk :cheers:. There's a large part of me that also feels the s1000 needs to be tracked and in its purest form (no race plastics, Motorrad colors etc...). But I think I also answered my own question. CSS has a two to one student teacher ratio so definitely easier to learn with that kind of attention. I'm now heavily leaning towards the 675R.:D

D-Zum;246540 wrote: First off...love your attitude...just keep it all about learning and having fun and you'll go far with this sport for a LONG time.

Making A group is where the REAL learning just begins..I promise you.

If you made A group, you've learned to be a safe, clean and relatively consistent Track Day rider. Speed/pace are part of the equation..but only part of it. You're probably pretty consistent..so faster guys can trust what you're doing to get by you..and you're probably confident enough to get around anyone slower...which RARELY happens to me..so I'm definitely one of the pretty consistent riders out there. ;)

I know I haven't stopped bugging my friends that are CR's now...they're still teaching me every weekend. thank you sir! besides the speed, the most intimidating thing about A to me is how nonchalantly the crashes are treated. Half the time I don't know it even happened until they're announcing there's more time left in the session so it's clear a cleanup occurred. I am hearing a lot of similarities between this hobby and martial arts. We used to say, "the first three and a half years (until black belt) just prove you can listen to your teachers. The next three and a half years are where you actually perfect the technique."

HondaGalToo;246591 wrote:
Agree with Dzum as usual. I'm the snail in A group, but I'm consistent. Your comment about chilling in I group gave me a chuckle. Nesba I group is damn quick! Your good attitude and willingness to learn will take you far safely. In spite of code using beemers, I still think a 600 is better for the track. You'll be able to focus on technique rather than managing all that power. I think you kind of realize that now. As far as motors lasting on prepped bikes, my advice is to go with a stock engine, rather than a built engine, for example, a super sport spec build or some such.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks HondaGal. I definitely agree with everything you said! And believe me I am not sleeping on I group! I've tried to keep up with two guys right before they were bumped and they left me in their dust within 4 turns! That is what kind of helped me understand that I wasn't navigating the track correctly. "couldn't be the bike, must be the rider!"

Bubba Zanetti;246592 wrote:
Yeah, stock is the way to go on the motor for longevity (usually). I keep the TZ set around stock settings. You get more miles before a rebuild, if everything goes well ;)

BZ
Thank you!

ZeroBahamutxRR;246601 wrote:
Being able to ride three wide through a turn while all three knowing each other is there and respecting each others line will put a bigger smile on your face than most other things..
It's funny you say that. I think every turn I enter, I wonder if I'm on the race line or doing something unpredictable. And when I am following another rider, we always seem to be braking differently while on the same line.

Not suprised you, me and others are braking in different parts of the track. Watching A group riders they don't brake in the exact same spots. So many different types of bikes, braking systems, and skill levels.

I would say braking, out of all the riding skills on the track, is in the end the REAL art to learn. The CR's will start giving you advice (they have already I know) but the braking advice when it makes sense really will help you go faster. If I am braking how am I going faster!? you ask? You'll see what I mean.

CR Barry Gunning kept telling, or more yelling at me: "Dan, braking is your speed control". The bike I ride has two great strengths, corner speed and braking. When I started to focus on those two items much of what Barry tried to show me came alive and I had a small lightbulb moment with the brakes. I've been building on what he and others said since :).

My last track day going into turn one at T-Bolt a fellow I rider (different org, I'm a B rider with NESBA still) on a 600 went to out brake me going into turn one. He showed me a wheel at brake marker 5 and just kept TZ pinned. He slammed on the brakes at marker 3 and I still hadn't touched mine. After that session me and the other rider were talking and laughing and he said "I know what you are on, and should have known it was a loosing battle". We had a good laugh but it was hard to explain that its more than the bike I am riding. Its the comfort level in hard braking and knowing what happens when you brake early, late, hard and just barely and how to interpret the feedback the bike is giving you with all of it. Much like "when can I get on the throttle" in a turn? It has its basic answer then there is the small changes that make one rider a second faster than another.

I hope someday to go to the Yamaha Champions School because every rider I know who has gone through that class learns some of the ultimate braking techniques. CSS will teach you to be comfortable using the throttle in a turn (Fun school, have done it myself). Seems like YCS teaches that with the brakes.

Can't wait to ride with you!

BZ

Oh and D-Zum, HondaGalToo and some others in this thread whom I know are some of the best people I have ever met in the track day universe. Judy (HondaGal) hooked me up big time one track day when my buddy left early, but took my lunch by accident because it was in his toy hauler fridge! I saw Judy, asked :Hey Judy, Curt took off with my lunch, can I bum something to eat"? She totally hooked me up without question. NESBIANS like her and D-Zum is one of the main reasons I have stuck with NESBA.

Wait till you meet D-Zum (Darrin) LOL! First time I met him at VIR I said "Your D-Zum"? LOL! He looked a lot different than I expected :popcorn:

BZ

Meat

Bubba Zanetti;246738 wrote:

Wait till you meet D-Zum (Darrin) LOL! First time I met him at VIR I said "Your D-Zum"? LOL! He looked a lot different than I expected :popcorn:

BZ
I felt the same way. You don't expect someone that sexy to be riding a motorcycle!

Pseudolus

Bubba Zanetti;246736 wrote: Not suprised you, me and others are braking in different parts of the track. Watching A group riders they don't brake in the exact same spots. So many different types of bikes, braking systems, and skill levels.

I would say braking, out of all the riding skills on the track, is in the end the REAL art to learn. The CR's will start giving you advice (they have already I know) but the braking advice when it makes sense really will help you go faster. If I am braking how am I going faster!? you ask? You'll see what I mean.

CR Barry Gunning kept telling, or more yelling at me: "Dan, braking is your speed control". The bike I ride has two great strengths, corner speed and braking. When I started to focus on those two items much of what Barry tried to show me came alive and I had a small lightbulb moment with the brakes. I've been building on what he and others said since :).

My last track day going into turn one at T-Bolt a fellow I rider (different org, I'm a B rider with NESBA still) on a 600 went to out brake me going into turn one. He showed me a wheel at brake marker 5 and just kept TZ pinned. He slammed on the brakes at marker 3 and I still hadn't touched mine. After that session me and the other rider were talking and laughing and he said "I know what you are on, and should have known it was a loosing battle". We had a good laugh but it was hard to explain that its more than the bike I am riding. Its the comfort level in hard braking and knowing what happens when you brake early, late, hard and just barely and how to interpret the feedback the bike is giving you with all of it. Much like "when can I get on the throttle" in a turn? It has its basic answer then there is the small changes that make one rider a second faster than another.

I hope someday to go to the Yamaha Champions School because every rider I know who has gone through that class learns some of the ultimate braking techniques. CSS will teach you to be comfortable using the throttle in a turn (Fun school, have done it myself). Seems like YCS teaches that with the brakes.

Can't wait to ride with you!

BZ
Thanks Bubba. Those are great insights. Truly appreciate it! My brother and I have committed to do a school a year (at different tracks each time:D) so we'll definitely try YCS!

And I couldn't agree more about the quality of NESBIANS. Just amazingly helpful folks (yourself included!):)