Evaluating your riding

Fastguy

What plateaus have you overcome to become faster?

Mine is, if your not on the gas you should be braking and if your not braking you should be on the gas and definitely no coasting. Easier said than done :adore:

Im also working on improving my use of reference points

I also need clarification on "looking ahead". I understand what has to be done but I'm unsure of how to execute this one.

Yours?

Mikey75702

Fastguy;184855 wrote: What plateaus have you overcome to become faster?

Mine is, if your not on the gas you should be braking and if your not braking you should be on the gas and definitely no coasting. Easier said than done :adore:

Im also working on improving my use of reference points

I also need clarification on "looking ahead". I understand what has to be done but I'm unsure of how to execute this one.

Yours?
Bout the same and a bunch more... jiggy helped me a ton with the looking ahead thing... when in the corner try to touch the center of your chin to the top of your shoulder... it forced me to turn my head enough to look a good bit ahead.

Fastguy

Mikey75702;184857 wrote: Bout the same and a bunch more... jiggy helped me a ton with the looking ahead thing... when in the corner try to touch the center of your chin to the top of your shoulder... it forced me to turn my head enough to look a good bit ahead.
Thats head position but where are you looking in the turn? I have wandering eyes

Mikey75702

As far as I can... since I'm not great at it, I don't want to give specifics, but if I can see the entry to the next corner from the apex of this one, I'm trying for that whkle using my peripheral vision to see my markers in between. Someone much better then me should be along to give proper advice soon.

Fastguy

Mikey75702;184861 wrote: As far as I can... since I'm not great at it, I don't want to give specifics, but if I can see the entry to the next corner from the apex of this one, I'm trying for that whkle using my peripheral vision to see my markers in between. Someone much better then me should be along to give proper advice soon.
Thanks ;)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Fastguy;184859 wrote: Thats head position but where are you looking in the turn? I have wandering eyes
Yeah, me too. I've been told you should be looking at least a reference point ahead, maybe a turn ahead. As you see your turn-in point, then look to the apex, as you head to the apex, then look for the exit. I have trouble with this, too. I'm used to street riding and constantly scanning, to that makes me have "wandering eyes", too.

Fastguy

HondaGalToo;184866 wrote: Yeah, me too. I've been told you should be looking at least a reference point ahead, maybe a turn ahead. As you see your turn-in point, then look to the apex, as you head to the apex, then look for the exit. I have trouble with this, too. I'm used to street riding and constantly scanning, to that makes me have "wandering eyes", too.
Is this looking far enough? :dunno:

PJZOCC624

Looking ahead

Rob- here's my process of looking ahead. I'll use Beaverun as an example:

As I come down the front straight I'm looking for my brake marker, lets say it's at the 400' mark. The instant I pop out of my tuck, my eyes immediately shift to the apex of 1 as I apply the brakes. As soon as I begin to tip into 1, I scan ahead to my turn in point for 2. Once I hit the apex of 1 and start to pick the bike up, I'm looking through 2 and visualizing the arc through 3...

As you brake, look for your apex. As you apex, look for your exit. As you exit, look for your brake marker.

If you're looking at your brake marker while you're on the brakes, or looking at your apex as you're hitting the apex, your're not looking far enough ahead.

That's MY take on it. I could be wrong.

As far as hitting plateus, I won't give you advice as I seem to have been riding on one for what seems like two years. I will say that it has to do with the vacuum of air between my ears...

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
It's not just about looking ahead. It's about THINKING ahead. I'm always thinking 2 or 3 turn segments ahead (entry, mid, exit).

My biggest time drops came when I learned how hard you actually can accelerate while leaned over. To build on PJ's Beaverun example, in turn 9 (or 10, the one going up the hill to the water tower) on the exit I'm in 2nd gear pinned with knee still on the deck.

Another one that helped me was the idea of going "fast in the fast turns and slow in the slow ones." Slightly higher speeds through the fast turns will drop times more than the same gain in a slow turn.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
PJZOCC624;184873 wrote: R

As you brake, look for your apex. As you apex, look for your exit. As you exit, look for your brake marker.

If you're looking at your brake marker while you're on the brakes, or looking at your apex as you're hitting the apex, your're not looking far enough ahead.

That's MY take on it. I could be wrong.

ninjamansc;184880 wrote:
It's not just about looking ahead. It's about THINKING ahead. I'm always thinking 2 or 3 turn segments ahead (entry, mid, exit).

My biggest time drops came when I learned how hard you actually can accelerate while leaned over. To build on PJ's Beaverun example, in turn 9 (or 10, the one going up the hill to the water tower) on the exit I'm in 2nd gear pinned with knee still on the deck.

Another one that helped me was the idea of going "fast in the fast turns and slow in the slow ones." Slightly higher speeds through the fast turns will drop times more than the same gain in a slow turn.
:agree:

slowpoke

some good stuff in here already.

I'm committed to improving my riding this year which to me, means three things: faster laptimes, better/longer tire wear, and less physical effort per lap.

Going faster for me: All of my improvement in laptimes has come from getting on the gas sooner rather than braking later. When I try to brake later, I end up being so preoccupied with making the corner that I pick up the throttle too late. As a result, my primary focus as I get through the corner on a track I know well is: Where is the exit?
Riding tracks like NJMP where I've done so many laps, I shouldn't have to focus too hard on hitting an apex so my eyes are absolutely fixed on finding the exit. As soon as I see it, my next goal is to roll on the gas to full throttle as quickly as possible making sure I get to full throttle (feeling the throttle stop). On the exit of each corner, I take a mental note if I used all the track and throttled out to the rumble strips. If I don't hit the apex exactly right, I make sure to not be as aggressive on the gas and focus on not repeating the mistake on the next lap. My reward for hitting the apex is getting on the gas earlier and harder.
I definitely brake later and trailbrake a lot more than I used to; however if I'm going to push my comfort zone, it's going to be with picking up the gas sooner.

Better tire wear for me: This is all about my body position and getting off the bike more w/ lower body and making sure my head is off the inside as Mikey quoted Jiggy's advice to him. Most important for me w/ tire wear is standing the bike up as I get on the gas. In other threads, folks like Ron Hix describe this as "the move" a la YCRS. at the apex, I roll on the throttle to load the rear tire, weight the outside peg, drop my head as low as possible on the inside, and stand the bike up so I'm on the meat of the tire.

Riding easier: All about reference points to me, and I'm finally making a stronger commitment to using them more vs riding by feel. Using reference points for me becomes a game of connect the dots and keeps me much, much looser on the bike which leads to much less fatigue AND improves consistency. When correctly stringing reference points together and looking way down the track, I tend to have very few tight or "oh shit, am i going to make it" moments. Like Steve said, I'm always trying to think at least 2 segments ahead (if approaching entry, looking for apex and preparing for exit). Reference points elminate a lot of the guesswork which leads to less fatigue for me personally.

Rob - grab me anytime at the track if you want to put some of these things into practice. 99% of us are working on similar things b/c it's all about the fundamentals - we're just doing so at our own pace.

My 2 cents - hope it helps.

slowpoke

Fastguy;184855 wrote: ..........Mine is, if your not on the gas you should be braking and if your not braking you should be on the gas and definitely no coasting. Easier said than done :adore:
...............Yours?
Rob - this is a good overall thing to work on, but be sure to break it down by corner. If you're coasting into a corner or timid on the throttle, focus on why. what is it about that corner that you are having a hard time with? Might be your line, might be you're not using all the track, might be you need to improve your braking skills, etc

I used to hate when guys would tell me more gas and less brake. In fact, I still hate when they tell me that:banghead:

Break down each section to figure out how you can approach it better AND grab CRs at the track.

erick1670

ninjamansc;184880 wrote: It's not just about looking ahead. It's about THINKING ahead. I'm always thinking 2 or 3 turn segments ahead (entry, mid, exit).
My biggest time drops came when I learned how hard you actually can accelerate while leaned over
:agree:

this is true for me also, always look into your entry as soon you are ready to hit that you should'll be already looking at the exit or farder depending on the turn..... and as far as loosing time, my problem corners are left handers, I know that I can go faster but am not confy :dunno: but I work on them each time

Fastguy

Another question, we've all heard that we need to be smooth. Is being smooth also mean having a smooth consistent predictable riding?

slowpoke

Fastguy;184939 wrote: Another question, we've all heard that we need to be smooth. Is being smooth also mean having a smooth consistent predictable riding?
i don't fully understand the question. my impression of being smooth means predictable and progressive inputs. No sudden inputs (stabbing brakes, hamfisted throttle, etc.) -