F4i Replace Chain and Sprocket: Suggestions??

cbrf4rider

Hello Guys,
I need to replace the chain on my 2002 Honda CBR F4i.

Can you please recommend a chain and sprocket? And guards if needed?:dunno:

I ride mostly track days and a little street here and there, I'm no racer and do not want anything high maintenance.

Thanks!!

AnneMarie

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Cool! On motomummy's site, he lists which are the strongest chains. My rear sprocket is hardened aluminum, but they have started making light weight steel ones which may last longer. As far as saying you want low maintenance...all chains need to be maintained, and I'm not aware of any that require less maintenance when compared to any others. A cleaning and lubing at least every 500 miles, or after it's rained. I wipe mine down with WD40 and then apply a chain lube when warm. I like Maxima Chain Wax, or the PJ black label.

Your stock chain is probably a 525. You can replace it with the same, or get a 520. Just make sure when ordering that the chain and sprockets are all for the same size chain, no mixing and matching sizes (you may already know this)! And I strongly suggest a rivet master link, not a clip style.

What tracks do you usually go to? See you out there next year, maybe.

Steve

AnneMarie,

I think I was pitted next to you at NJMP a few weeks ago. I have a cbr60rr now, but I had a ’99 F4 a few years ago. I used AFAM sprockets and a DID chain, but only because that was what the NESBA parts supplier was selling at the time. IIRC, I went down 1 tooth on the front sprocket and up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket from stock. I think stock was 16/46, front/rear on the F4, and I think the F4i is the same :dunno: . It worked fine on the street and helped most corner exits on the track.

The only chains that require more maintenance than normal (see Judy’s post) are non O-ring chains. These are the cheaper chains, but they’ll wear out quicker. I also agree with Judy’s recommendation of a rivet master link and the chain/sprocket sizes.