Finished my MotoGP paint....

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
...and just have to show someone. It's not perfect, but came out waaaay better than I thought. Color was done with rattlecans, clear with spray gun. I wasn't going for an identical replica, more like a translation to the ZX6R. What do you think?

No numbers on it yet, Thanks for looking.

pearsonm

I’d love to do something like that. Did you have someone shoot the clear for you? Do certain rattle cans work better than others? How ‘bout primer?

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I shot the clear. I've done spot repairs on a few cars, so I knew how to work a gun. There's a few runs, but it's not a show bike so no big deal. The primer and color were cans from Color-rite. Getting the right green was vital to pulling off the look. The clear was Eastwood Co's "Euro clear". 3 cans green, 1.5 cans black, and a full quart of clear. Painting was the easy part. Prep and masking all the green off was the real PITA.

Meat

Dude, I think it looks sensational in the pics. I have been looking into doing a very similar design, based on the MotoGP Kawi, but I have a green tank.

Have you been able to compare the colorite kawi green with the factory kawi green on another bike? I don't want to get my entire bike repainted, but I need to touch up some green where Barber took some off when I wasn't paying attention.

Again, I really love the look!

pearsonm

Another question, if you don’t mind. How did you deal with the cold? Did you have to heat up your garage to X temperature every time you wanted to shoot or are rattle cans not that sensitive?

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Thanks on the complements everybody.

Meat, I borrowed a panel from my buddy's 08 ZX6R and as far as I can tell, it's dead on. I'd think doing a spot repair color match thing is more difficult because the colors are right on top of each other. Plus it depends what color you're spraying onto. But holding the panel up, I couldn't tell a difference.

Pearsonm, I actually got lucky. The mech contractors I hire for my company let me use their shop over the weekend. Just had me put plastic over some of the equipment. Temp was about 65-70F (not ideal, i know) but just took a little longer to dry.

I've got a can of the green left over and would be willing to part with it for substantially less than I paid. Lemme know.