First track day - NJMP 5/1

Hey folks. Just thought I’d introduce myself. Joined N2 around the holidays in anticipation of attending my first-ever track day this spring.

Well, it’s finally here! I’m beyond excited. We leave tomorrow for south Jersey (from Brooklyn) so we can be ready bright and early on monday morning.

I’ve been “threatening” to do a track day for the past 15 years or so. But excuses always seemed plentiful. I’ve been to NJMP several times for AHRMA races, and last year I helped my buddy at a track day. The bug bit me hard!

So I bought a Ninja 300 dedicated for the track. Needed a ton of love, but worked on it over the winter and she’s all buttoned up and ready.

I’m looking forward to listening and learning, and just generally getting the feel for the track. Really appreciate all the info I’ve gotten on here - and I’ll be attending with my buddy (many years of track/racing), so I know I’m in good hands.

Hope to meet some of you there!

scott

bmart

Control Rider
Excellent choice on org and bike! You'll have a blast. I wish that I was going to be there with you. Have fun. Be open. Take your time.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Welcome Scott!
Make sure to come back after the last session of the day and tell us all about how it went. :cool:

Thanks so much for the warm welcome folks.

We made it down in torrential rain the night before and were greeted with sun and a nearly dried track in the morning. At the riders meeting it turned out I was going to be the only new rider assigned to control rider Omar, who would lead me around the track. seemed perfect!

Unfortunately I only got the first run in and then my bike flaked out. I intermittently felt throttle/power hesitation, starting around lap 3 of that first run. But I rode through it (by raising the revs higher than called for - not ideal!) and made it back to the paddock at the end of session 1.

I tried to get the bike sorted, but still had inconsistent idle and bogging. Checked as much as I could there at the track and did a few slow test runs on the far side of the paddock area. No luck. Still rising and falling rpm at idle, and cuts/bursts of power while under load.

So I opted to call it for the day - knowing that being on track with an unhealthy bike would be a danger to others and myself.

So, obviously I was super disappointed that I didn’t get to do more laps, learn the lines better and work on track skills.

But looking at it half-full, we met some cool guys who tried to help with the fix between sessions, and I did get the chance to get the most anxiety-inducing parts out of the way. “Where do I go? Who do I talk to? Where do I line up? Will it be crowded on track? Will I be nervous?”

I’ll get the bike squared away and get back to the track soon. I’m sure of that. Even one run was enough to keep me hooked. So much to learn!

It was a shock to see it running across the track in front of Omar. And I knew that once the damn thing had gotten a foot from safety (after Omar passed it), it was for sure going to decide to run back across the track in front of me.

Figured it must be some special N2 "don't get distracted" lesson :)

Just wanted to swing back around and let you know that I got the bike squared away, and attended the N2 day at NJMP yesterday.

It was an amazing experience, and would you believe it, the bike ran like a top the whole day. Whew!

Many thanks to all the N2 staff, and particularly Omar who displayed the patience required to get new track riders comfortable with the track, and Chris who ran an informative and safe day.

The weather was gorgeous, and the experience laid out just exactly how much there is to learn! But I’m well and truly hooked. Hoping to get to try a few other tracks this season.

Appreciate all the encouragement folks. Ride safe!

Well, proximity will play into it since I’m tied to my buddy who has the truck/trailer…for now :)

Chris raved about pittrace. I’d like to ride that track just based on his enthusiasm. But that’s a pretty decent haul from brooklyn. Possibility that we could hit Summit next Monday. Surprisingly only a 5 hour drive from here - or 12 hours depending on NYC traffic!

If I’m not mistaken this coming weekend will be the “Main” layout/course? Seems to be fewer turns and more straight-centric compared to the Shenandoah course.

How do you all like that track?