Flippin Tires

Hitman954

Just a question, Whats the low down on flippin tires. I've heard people talk about this and I'm assuming there's nothing to it. I was wondering if they wear faster once you flip them or if you wont even know the difference. I've run Blackhawk a lot and thrown tires away that still had the left side. Now I have a tire changer and all thats about to change (throwin away tires) Any feed back is appreciated Thank you Brent Sudduth

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Flip them and flip them often. No adverse reaction other than when it's wet. The directional groves are for water dispersement only. I've flipped almost every brand and they work fine either way. The best thing to do is flip them before the one side is too far off. I've even flipped them to run backwards and then flipped them back to the original direction before discarding them.

Meat

I haven't had to flip a front tire, but I would if I needed to. I haven't tried it so there might be a different feel, just not sure.

But, I don't notice any difference when I flip the rear.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
No, I have never flipped the front. I've never worn out a front to even warrant flipping it. I only replace them because of age. Never because of wear.

Hitman954

cool thanks guys. I figured there wasn't any secrets to it. just thought I'd ask first. Thank you Brent Sudduth

alphamale

I generally agree with Thunderace, but some people will say otherwise. There are a multitude of potential reasons, one of which being the carcass of the rear tire not designed for load in a different direction because of construction. I don't know of a particular tire that has that characteristic, but I have heard rumblings in that regard.

Dave561

Control Rider
Manufacturers will tell you no but I'm a cheap bastage and have flipped just about every rear tire made and not had an issue. Of course your mileage may vary

jtsgsxr6

I used a set of bt-016's last season both put on new at the same time, I wore the front out first! So I guess flipping the front is a judgement call.

BigKid

the one thing everyone is forgetting here is if you flip a tire the side that normally has less wear is the side that is now going to have thin rubber on it and hence will not retain heat. So when you go into the left handers at BHF or Putnam you may be surprised to find you have cold tires and less grip than anticipated. SO at a minimum flip the tire well before it gets too bad.

NickMcCoy

Some tires can be flipped and others can not, make sure that you ask your tire guy if the model you have is directional. If it has 90 degree plies it should be fine but some tires are only to be used in one direction. Dave Moss mentioned in one of his shows that most Dunlop race tires can be flipped but the new 211 spec tire can not, this is a good reason to make sure beforehand instead of listening to people who advise you to flip any tire.

Hitman954

NickMcCoy;136077 wrote: Some tires can be flipped and others can not, make sure that you ask your tire guy if the model you have is directional. If it has 90 degree plies it should be fine but some tires are only to be used in one direction. Dave Moss mentioned in one of his shows that most Dunlop race tires can be flipped but the new 211 spec tire can not, this is a good reason to make sure beforehand instead of listening to people who advise you to flip any tire.
Thats why I'm askin :D

Matt

NickMcCoy;136077 wrote: Some tires can be flipped and others can not, make sure that you ask your tire guy if the model you have is directional. If it has 90 degree plies it should be fine but some tires are only to be used in one direction. Dave Moss mentioned in one of his shows that most Dunlop race tires can be flipped but the new 211 spec tire can not, this is a good reason to make sure beforehand instead of listening to people who advise you to flip any tire.
One dunlop tire guy said it wasn't a problem to flip the new 211GPA.

I forgot to ask the ones I really trust the last time I saw them.

I have heard that Dunlop is changing the molding process on the new 211GPAs.. might change things.

Trent1098S

I forgot all about flipping my tire at Blackhawk, and roached a 209 rear. When I put another one on, I've got TONS of tread left on the left side, but the right side is paper-thin (and it promptly took that odd concave shape I've seen before.. on the one that tried to highside me at Autobahn last year...)

Which brings me to the next question.. is it ethical to sell roached DOT race take-offs to street riders?

gkotlin

Trent1098S;136141 wrote: I forgot all about flipping my tire at Blackhawk, and roached a 209 rear. When I put another one on, I've got TONS of tread left on the left side, but the right side is paper-thin (and it promptly took that odd concave shape I've seen before.. on the one that tried to highside me at Autobahn last year...)

Which brings me to the next question.. is it ethical to sell roached DOT race take-offs to street riders?
Roached, no. Ones that are at the wear indicators. As long as they know what they're getting.