Front Brake Master Cylinder?

GCBC

So my new ducati monster 821 has the same rotors and calipers of the hypermotard SP but has a crappy master cylinder that ive been having problems with since I got it last weekend. Been to the dealer and there ordering a new one. If that doesnt fix the lever feel then I think ill be forced to get an rcs19 external res or similar.

I like short levers and maximum lever power vs modulation, (one finger and grabby I prefer more than 2 finger and better modulation) so I would want the biggest ratio of lever travel to piston pressure possible, what setup would I want? Also not wanting to spend $400+, Doesnt have to be the absolute best thing on the market but id like something thats on the same level as my 1190r adventure (but I cant find out what model it is).

Any recommendations? Id consider used as well, but I want something with zero initial take up (pre travel slop) and then a lever thats so solid and stiff it doesnt move.

Thanks

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'll take a stab, but my info is based on what I know about Brembo master cylinders. I assume your calipers are 4-piston, and you have dual brake discs? If so, most who switch to a Brembo use the 19mm piston. The choices are:
19x18 - more lever travel, better modulation. Most seem to prefer this for the track
19x20 - less lever travel. This seems to be what you're after.

If you end up with the Brembo RCS, that would be the best of both worlds, as you can switch between 19x18 and 19x20. That way, you can decide what's best. If you also use your bike on the street, this is the best option, as it includes a switch for your brake light. (For the other models you'd need to install a pressure switch, as they have no accommodations for the stock mechanical switch. From personal experience, they aren't safe on the street - too much pressure is required to activate the brake light).

Other than 19x18 and 19x20, I am not aware of any other Brembo ratios that are recommended for 4-pot calipers with dual brake discs. The other ratios are for 2-piston, or bikes with a disc on one side. If you have one of these options, search on the Brembo site for recommendations. You can get Brembos with standard or shorty levers.

Good luck!

GCBC

T
I'll take a stab, but my info is based on what I know about Brembo master cylinders. I assume your calipers are 4-piston, and you have dual brake discs? If so, most who switch to a Brembo use the 19mm piston. The choices are:
19x18 - more lever travel, better modulation. Most seem to prefer this for the track
19x20 - less lever travel. This seems to be what you're after.

If you end up with the Brembo RCS, that would be the best of both worlds, as you can switch between 19x18 and 19x20. That way, you can decide what's best. If you also use your bike on the street, this is the best option, as it includes a switch for your brake light. (For the other models you'd need to install a pressure switch, as they have no accommodations for the stock mechanical switch. From personal experience, they aren't safe on the street - too much pressure is required to activate the brake light).

Other than 19x18 and 19x20, I am not aware of any other Brembo ratios that are recommended for 4-pot calipers with dual brake discs. The other ratios are for 2-piston, or bikes with a disc on one side. If you have one of these options, search on the Brembo site for recommendations. You can get Brembos with standard or shorty levers.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply,
I need provisions for the brake light so looks like the RCS is my best bet. Can I still put aftermarket levers I already have onto the RCS? Or are its levers proprietary?

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Judy is right, your best bet is the RCS as you can change from a 19x18 to a 19x20. The RCS comes with a switch for the brake light unlike other Brembo masters. You'll have to get a different lever as the one on the RCS is different than the other Brembo levers. But I would wait until you tried the lever it comes with as its a really nice folding lever, also changing the lever could change the feel....

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
As mentioned, you'll need Brembo levers. I think Pazzo also may make a lever specific to the Brembo, but I'd stick with the Brembo brand.

So no, the lever you have for a stock master won't work.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I will throw a whole other wrench into the mix, and ask you if you've thought about changing pads? A simple brake pad change can make a world of a difference.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I'll post the obvious....are you absolutely sure the lines are properly bled? Here's a trick I've tried with good success....Un-mount the calipers and tie them up overhead of the master. Place a wooden shim between the pads to hold them in place (approx. the same width as the rotor). Then bleed the brakes. This allows the smallest of bubbles to float up to the caliper in the direction that the fluid is traveling. Admittedly this is a PIA but the results are worth it if you're having spongy brakes.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Does the HyperMotard come with steel lines and the Monster Rubber lines?

Did you bleed the lines to ensure there's no air in them?

Everyone that's chimed in before me here has made those points, and I'm saying them again just to be redundant.

Anyway.....

Best price you'll find on an RCS is probably through Rider's Discount.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=288013

Be a little wary of the 19x20 ratio...it's pretty touchy. 19x18 is a little more forgiving. Both will stop you on a dime and give you back 4 cents change,
but the 18 will smile while it does it..the 20's a little rude about it.

18's also going to give you a finer touch for trail braking. A 20's more of an ON/OFF best used when the bike's straight up and down.

And brakes are like any other system..it's not one component that's key..it's how all the parts come together.