general suggestion for the BBS opinions welcome please read/post mods/admin espcially

toptaz1000rr

general suggestion for the BBS opinions welcome please read/post mods/admin espcially

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is my suggestions... take it as you want... i mean no attack on anyone at all (other than scammers/thiefs and crooks)

with the ecconomy as it is, i believe that we will be seeing an increase in bikes that are stolen.... that being said the crooks naturally will be coming to the "bike" boards to pawn off their bounty as they know most of us prob dont make millions ...

that being said 99.9 of us when we see a great deal .. we buy it/jump on it .. etc... its human nature-ish

i was wondering if in light of this 'ecconomy/situation' if it would not be prudent to put in to place some 'stricter' selling rules/guidelines; for no other reason ... for safety of the board at large.

what are your feelings/suggestions on this ?

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
well...any recommendations? being that a percentage of trackbikes have a salvaged title and subsequent owners "lose" the title...i'd reckon over 1/3 track bikes on the track/racing forums are sold wihtout titles. So not sure if title status is a good way to monitor scams.

One way could be post count/senority...i.e. no first time posts being for sale posts.....

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I don't personally think that it should be the responsibility of Nesba to monitor what is sold and bought on the bbs. If someone is selling something that is in poor taste, I'm sure they would delete the post. I think it is the responsibility of the buyer to make sure he is not buying stolen property. I personally will only buy a bike with a title. There are plenty of deals out there and maybe I just need to wait for the one that works for me. If your scruples are less than average, it may be ok for you to buy, but it's not for me to tell you otherwise.

Just like Ebay or Craigslist, it's buyer beware.

Burnall4

just do what my Forum does 600rr.net, you must have x amount of post and be a member for 60 days. Solves a lot of problems on our forums, don't really read about how people get ripped off etc...that often

i think its a novel idea!

vanbreezy

I agree with Jim. I don't feel it's Nesba's responsibility to police the BBS. While i'm sure they pay close attention to whats going on. People would try to make them(nesba) liable for getting scammed. If they felt nesba was responsible for what is being sold.

jls223

Burnall4;43822 wrote: just do what my Forum does 600rr.net, you must have x amount of post and be a member for 60 days. Solves a lot of problems on our forums, don't really read about how people get ripped off etc...that often

i think its a novel idea!
Agree. R6 forum does the same. No sales before you're a member for 60 days. :agree:

Burnall4

vanbreezy;43828 wrote: I agree with Jim. I don't feel it's Nesba's responsibility to police the BBS. While i'm sure they pay close attention to whats going on. People would try to make them(nesba) liable for getting scammed. If they felt nesba was responsible for what is being sold.
I would have to disagree they don't need to police what is going on, however, by having a post count requirement and a time for membership requirement, it means that the person has to post and become aquatinted with the board members before they sell anything. Also, as it stands one could argue, if they cared that much, and had time, that NESBA is responsible for the sales that go on through the board. Also, if you put a statement in the agreement that you check when you sign up, you waive all your rights to hold NESBA being held accountable. So, what is there really to lose? The board I am developing already has this in place :dunno:

Burnall4

I would love to see this happen on our forum, I mean its a tight community as it is, and we all kind of know everyone through the six degrees of separation. Which might be a fun game to play...anyway I have been ripped off to many times, and I am not saying that NESBA members have anything to do with it, but I would love to know the person for a while before I buy something, and it would put my mind at ease, especially as i get more wrapped up into this, and move into racing as the years roll by.

I don't know, just my .02 but what do i know, lol!

vanbreezy

Seems to me you have answered your own question. There is a post number next to our names once we join the BBS. I have been a nesba member for a number a years and have been preceptive enough to notice in the off-season you get a bunch of people with low post numbers coming to the board to sell things, and i have always looked them diffrently than people who have been members for sometime.

Burnall4

i understand what you are saying but I point out two things, and I don't even know why I keep responding to the thread. I am bored, I should be writing a software re-engineering paper I have due tomorrow, oh well...

1. I have been a member of Honda-Tech since early early early, I think my member number is in the thousands digit range. Anyway, I have a post count of 20K + so it still says I average like 4 post a day even though I have not been on that site since 2003ish. So, if I were to suddenly start to go to that forum again, someone might mistake me as a regular and trust me based on post count and join date. They should have no problem, but I know some people on there you can't and they are in the same position as me. This point is in support of your thoughts Austin. So, I totally understand what you are saying...might not come across that way though.

2. It is always buyer be ware, and the buyer needs to take responsibility as much as the seller, and the medium the product or service is sold through, however I look at it the same way I looked at buying my gear. I bought "the best" I bought the right stuff even though something "could have done". the reason was to better my odds during a get off. So, if you can better your odds, level the playing field, is that not the right thing to do? I mean you can't make it always have the odds in your favor but if you are going in with a 50/50 chance thats better than going in with a 30% chance. So, by trying level the odds against a scammer, it will in fact help the buyer out.

P.S. Even the hacker forum/group I am a member of has regulations like this, its ironic for a forum of people who's goal is to skate legitimacy but I guess even there is honor amongst thieves. And I am a member for an entirely different reason, its part of my job, so don't get any ideas :p

RyanITV

Admin
I despise postcounts as a requirement to sell, here's why...

I bought a car once from a moderator on one of the Honda forums - ripped off, not in said condition, no refund or concession made - the guy vanished with my money.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, after lurking on a forum devoted to a type of car for 2 years, I bought a car from a dealer. I posted 2, maybe 3 things on that forum in total - mostly tech questions. I ended up selling the car within 9 months, and had a couple thousand dollars in aftermarket parts left over to sell. Because I didn't have enough posts, I wasn't allowed to sell the parts. I proceeded to reply to random crap just to bump my postcount up - once I hit the threshold, I posted the parts for sale. Some asswipe moderator didn't feel my posts were sufficient, removed my replies and deleted my threads. I ended up pitching the parts.

This is a pretty tight community (and alot of the stuff is in person), but anything over the internet between private parties is "buyer beware". If I was only active here on the forum, I can provide my eBay username with 186+ feedback over the past 10 years. I can provide my business PayPal account with a 19k + rating. I can easily do what it takes to make someone comfortable with a purchase, whether it be personal references or Internet stuff.

We've got a trader rating system implemented - that helps. My PERSONAL opinion is that the system should police itself. The for sale areas are provided free of charge - do your homework when buying and use common sense. In the year that this new version of the forum has been active, I think there was one complaint, and it was a transaction on another forum where the finger pointing and name-calling carried over to here.

Just my $0.35 ...

Ryan

JRA

I don't understand why all of the sudden we need to be more "aware" than normal just because of the economy. Do you think people who steal bikes are going to all of the sudden ramp up their efforts just because we are in a down turn? I think they are going to steal bikes no matter what and sell the parts through whatever channels they might use regardless. Is it possible that some people who might not otherwise steal a bike would do so if they lose their job? Sure it is, but they might also decide to steal from their employer or steal by some some other means.

People get ripped off on the internet every day, but I would guess that the vast majority of transactions are legitimate and both parties come away satisfied. When you buy something sight unseen from somebody on a message board you are taking a risk. You can minimize that risk by buying from people who have had a presence on that board for a length of time and seem to be known, but it shouldn't be mandatory for someone to have X number of posts or to have been a member for for a certain period of time. That's no guarantee.

Good economy, bad economy, whatever....there will always be scammers and thieves no matter what steps are taken to try and prevent it. People (forum moderators) have enough going on in their own lives without have to police another aspect of the message boards they moderate. At some point they are going to just say "You know what? No more classifieds, it's too much trouble."

My opinion would be that if you are more worried than normal about getting ripped off, or possibly supporting a criminal element, then you should stick to local classifieds where you can complete a transaction face to face.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Just to throw this out there, by setting a post limit, you set a barrier, just like you said Ryan. You had to sit there and post X amount of times in order to post in the classifieds. The psychology of someone trying to make a quick buck is not going to take the time to post up X amount of times just to throw up a bogus ad. To add to this, by setting a 'trial' membership period of say 60 days, would compound the heartache of a scammer to just post X times in one day and then post his/her illegitimate item.

And, it is not a heartache on the mods, as it could be set up as a default and the mods would not have to do anything.

Setting up a restriction default does not place blame on NESBA anymore than just having the classifieds section.

Last time a did a transaction face-to-face was back in the '90s. Heck, I even had my shock and forks sent out to different people, reworked, and set to my weight without even meeting (face-to-face) either one of them.

JRA

Bonobo;43905 wrote: JRA for class president!!! WTF is with you making sense all the damn time? :D

What? This is common sense stuff. The classifieds benefit us all and I would hate to see restrictions being put in place that would make sellers less likely to post their items. We would all lose if that were to happen. :D

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
JRA;43943 wrote: What? This is common sense stuff. The classifieds benefit us all and I would hate to see restrictions being put in place that would make sellers less likely to post their items. We would all lose if that were to happen. :D

Funny thing about common sense, is that it really isn't that common.

Bonobo;43905 wrote: JRA for class president!!! WTF is with you making sense all the damn time? :D
JRA;43943 wrote:
What? This is common sense stuff. The classifieds benefit us all and I would hate to see restrictions being put in place that would make sellers less likely to post their items. We would all lose if that were to happen. :D
John, I was agreeing with you. Sorry if my attempt at humor obscured it. :notsure:
Actually, it was intended to be a compliment.... but since your being overly sensitive:flipoff: