Going back to I group from A group - Any Advice?

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
So as the title states, I am looking for advice on whether I should go back to "I" group from "A" group. I started riding with NESBA in 2008 and rode a fair amount from 2008-2010 during which time I went from B to I to A. Late in 2010 my wife and I found out we were expecting our first child to add to the first home purchase that was already planned for 2011. These two events combined led to no track days in 2011 and I even sold my track bike since I wanted to upgrade anyway.

I bought a new bike in late 2011 and returned to the track in Spring 2012 after not riding for 18 months. It was a little daunting to jump back into the A group after that long of a hiatus and riding a new-to-me bike although I think I did pretty well overall although I never got comfortable since I didn't do that much riding. I did 4 days in 2012, of which I had warped rotors the 1st day, was taken out by another rider the 2nd day, wrecked my 3rd day due to damaged MC from being taken out, and then finally had a good day on my last day. However since I was only able to get to the track 4 times it felt like every day was just trying to shake the rust off and never really got comfortable.

Early 2013 found out we were expecting our 2nd child and also did a massive house project, so that led to no track days in 2013.

So now it is 2014 and once again I am looking to get back to the track. However I have not rode on the track since Sept 2012 and I've never had the opportunity to really gel with my bike. While I know I am significantly slower than I used to be, I still feel I am predictable and fairly smooth.

So should I go back to the "I" group given I am not even close to running "A" pace? I have no ego in this at all and being in "I" vs "A" doesn't make a difference in how I feel about anything. I want to first and foremost be safe to myself and the riders around me, secondly improve my riding, and thirdly have fun.

Any thoughts/advice?

booboo1

I think it's great your willing to put ego aside, which is hard in this sport. Your probably doing the right thing. Sure the heck can't hurt. You will get back in the groove and bump back up when it's the right time. At the end of the day we are out there to have fun!!!! And be safe.

Godfather

Agreed

Yeah brother, what Booboo said...

Go out and just have a good time.:D

Usually we know what's best for us more than others know what's best for us? :confused:

Welcome back to the fold and congrats on the kiddies!

Nothing wrong with re-polishing your skill especially after a leave of absence. You're not out to win money/contingency in track days, either.

After a month or so you'll be right up to speed.

Do it right, for your family's sake.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
If you're apprehensive about holding people up in 'A' (which you're not) then move to 'I'. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Plus it'll be more fun with people to pass. Just remember you can't bump yourself back up. But I think you'd have more fun getting back to speed in 'I'.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Nate, I give you credit ~ it’s good to see you’ve put your ego aside and realize that safety is more important! You have your priorities in check and if you feel strongly about going back to I group there’s nothing wrong it, especially if you’re getting reacquainted with you riding skills. You’ve earned the bump to A and you may not be as bad as you think ~ after a good day I think you’ll be back up to speed. Ultimately the decision is yours and whatever makes you most comfortable go for it…We’ll see you out there.

ceptorman

If you're a little rusty, and getting used to a new bike, you will be somewhat slower than you previously were. I think you would be safer getting back to where you were in the "A" group. So what you'll be a little slower, you will be passed easier in "A" than "I". I think just the fact that you're willing to go back down in class makes you an "A" rider…you'll be fine.

erick1670

I did this in the beginning of 2012 due to not expecting to ride much as well, I did the right choice IMO; I know that no one in A group is pushing you or hustling to keep a pace as long you are consistent on you lines and not all over the place, but I trying to keep the pace and to try to be in no body's way that I was messing with my own ride. I was not having fun...

I went back to I group and I started to have fun since I dint put pressure on my self to be fast. I know I can run lower-mid pace A group, but I feel that taking my time through the day to get to my pace at my own pace. I have more fun that way and the reason we go to the track is to have fun.

I feel that in order to be at A pace we need to put the time at that pace to get used to the speed; with 3-4 days a year not worth it to me...

My 2ct :D

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Good point, ceptorman. Just because you're in 'A' doesn't mean exempting from help or a tow. Any CR (or A rider) would be happy to ride around with you. Just explain what you're looking for. I still learn from the fast guys. Orange shirts don't mean we've got nothing left to learn. Like he said above, the fact you are considering bumping down is an exemplary attitude. I'll ride with you anytime.

andykurz

I would also add, try to come out early in the year. Everyone runs a bit slower the first time out until you get your mojo back. It's been a long winter...

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
My 2 cents..before you make the decision to go to I group, give yourself a chance to see how you feel, how the bike feels....like maybe your first day ride the full day.

If by lunch it feels terrible and you're not having fun, then ask the Director to move you to the I group.

(BTW..check your PMs).

LOrtega

Control Rider
I took off a long time as well, and when I came back to NESBA, I put myself in "I" group the first time I rode.

I could ask for a tow in "A" and as far as I know I was smooth and predictable but their is something to be said about a large difference in closing speeds.
I was honest with myself in knowing I was going to be way off pace, not hitting my markers, and not at the level i belong and I could put myself and others in real danger. If you are over thinking things because everyone else around you is moving at such a faster pace, you are doing yourself a disservice.

If you got the bump to A once you will get it again. I don't regret my decision to do a day in "I" group, plus it was a big kick when a new CR (who will remain nameless) pulled me off the track and told me he was gonna bump me "A"..

Ahhh how I chuckled:haha:

You know who you are :dunno:

I'm doing the same thing Nate, after 2 seasons off and a new bike. Do whatever makes you comfortable so you can concentrate on your riding and getting back to your A form.

ceptorman

andykurz;299807 wrote: I would also add, try to come out early in the year. Everyone runs a bit slower the first time out until you get your mojo back. It's been a long winter...
Excellent point.

Ruhe52

Going back to I group from A group - Any Advice?

What a great attitude about this I think the best thing is for you to feel comfortable. If you want to come out and roll first session lets go ride and see how you feel out there. If after you want I GROUP we can move you.

Doubt you will be that much off pace you might have been out of one of those days. If you prefer to go I right out of the gate lets see what you feel
You need to work on. welcome back look forward to seeing you out there.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
First event come chat with me and we can figure out where you need to be. If you want I'lleven go ride with you and give you a fair assessment and we can go from there.

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
I appreciate all the feedback. I'll continue to mull it over, but I know in 2012 when I rode a few days, although I feel my riding was smooth and predictable I do believe that the closing speed did cause some difficult situations for myself and other riders. At this point given all the feedback I'm leaning towards bumping back down to "I" group just to slow things down a little bit. As Lenny used to say..."sometimes you have to go slow to go fast."

Slinky001

Nate,

I just took 2 full years off like you are describing and came back to the track very apprehensive.

The first few sessions out on the track I thought that I was going to get run over by everybody and when I came in to the pits I was so tensed up from gripping the bike hard that I needed to take a walk to relax to get rid of my nervous energy.

As the day wore on I picked up a brake markers more cleanly, rode better (quicker) lines with less effort and toward the end of the day I was tired, but elated to once again feel that beautiful rhythm that keeps you coming back for more!

Take the time to ease back in and your pace will come to you whatever it is. If it an A group pace, then good for you. If it is I group then so be it and who cares, because that is where you have found your rhythm and THAT is what puts the smile on your face and why we all love to ride!

Good luck!
Brian

denbsteph

Dave561;299844 wrote: First event come chat with me and we can figure out where you need to be. If you want I'll even go ride with you and give you a fair assessment and we can go from there.

Now thats freaking cool. Director giving you a tow and aiding to the cause to get you where you want/feel you should be.

I ponder that myself after my off road excursion that became my fault during the mechanical error.

In my opinion, if what you are asking is " I " safer than " A " ? Nope. I don't believe any " A " group rider will give you static if you are a tad bit slow your first couple of track days as long as you are consistent.

Slower is faster, consistent lines, and predictability making passes is what gets US to " A " group in the first place. It's not because you are Dane Westby fast, it's because the CR's seen you with what it took to get you to " A " group.

Take the tow from Dave, who knows, you could learn something new..................:adore:

LOrtega

Control Rider
denbsteph;299894 wrote:
Take the tow from Dave, who knows, you could learn something new..................:adore:
:popcorn:
I'm just waiting for the wiseass that's going to knock this underhand lob into the upper deck.....

Hahahahahahaah