GP shift question

nodakgus

How involved and/or expensive is it to change a bike from GP shift back to standard shift?:dunno:

Steve

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
depends....if you have a dynojet or bazzazz...yes, it is expensive. if you just want to turn your elbow joint around, ya got GP shift.

TeamBeer

Just flip it around. If you have a Bazzaz you will need to swap out the sensor for $250. Mine was GP when I bought it, but I need to learn to ride it first.

j_fuggin_t

Depends on the bike, some bikes you have to get rearsets or make silly mods to get it to work. Zuks are the easiest. I think r1's you have the shift rod going through the frame so it makes it tough. Most are simple fixes though.

JonnyZ!

As for the bazzaz .......power commander switch.

Post up a desire to trade..you may be surprised.

Swapped out a standard for a GP within 2 days of posting...

Twiztedjester55

If you don't have any kind of quickshifter and its on a GSXR all you have to do is unbolt the linkage on the end of the shift rod where it goes on the transmission and flip it 180 degrees. literally only takes about 5 minutes.

TeamBeer

I have a Bazzaz and switched mine without changing the sensor, but I don't use the quick shifter yet. It ran fine, but I will have the new sensor on before I get it back on the track. It is in the garage waiting for this cast to come off of my arm.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Gus,
I know it's personal preference, the GP shift is much more fun once you get use to it...:cool:

nodakgus

I just picked up a 2007 ZX-6R w/ the GP shift (the "flip 180 degrees" variety) and I think I will try to learn it. Heard too many positive comments not to try...Thanks! :D

Steve

dbakerpa

What isnt cool is when you accidentlly GP shift your street bike @ 12000 rpm -and it isnt GP. Does anyone know how to convert a Katana? it doesnt have clearance to flip the knuckle. Talk about embarrasing.:doh:

TeamBeer

Exactly why I switched mine back to standard. Once everything else is more natural I will try GP again. Right now I just have too many other things to concentrate on.