GPS Lap timers

dc21811

I want to get a GPS lap timer for my track bike. Can anyone give me their 2 cents worth on this. Which is easiest to use? Which is better? Etc.... I found an AIM SOLO for $379???? This is all foreign to me. Thanks for any input.

davidkump

I'm in the same boat, and I want a lap timer that can give me on board times while providing segmented times for each part of the track. Anyone?

Ex. 39

GPX pro by XT racing. Owned and operated in atlanta, ga. I've had one since they came out with them several years ago. They're former racers themselves, and most all of tje pro teams use them. Customer support is second to none as well. Www.xtracing.com

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk

Jiggy

Control Rider
GPX Pro by XT. Great product for the price, but what keeps me a customer is their support and also their repair services. Alot more affordable than Starlane too.

nikk777

Control Rider
Another vote for XT's GPX!!! I had a starlane and hated it! GPX is by far the simplest to use! Turn it on and hit the track, that's it.

USMC_10

I'll throw a plug for the Starlane, although I haven't used the GPX Pro. I found the Starlane to be super easy to use...turn it on and hit the track. Also, the Starlane is about $200 cheaper than the GPX Pro.

nikk777

Control Rider
With your starlane, do you have to set up the intervals and finish line on the first lap? With mine you did so I wasted a lap doing that and most of the time it didn't register for whatever reason so then I would try again... then I just said screw it and got no lap times. Hopefully they have improved that process. With the gpx, I can go to a new track and literally just hit one button to turn on the power, it does the rest... Later I can adjust the intervals, finish line, etc either on the timer or on the computer.

noobinacan

GPx pro is not just GPS laptimer...its much more. its a fully functional dash with data acquisition.

If you're looking for just a GPS laptimer, there are cheaper options out there.

Rmcaninch600

Control Rider
trackmaster is a $10 app that turns your smart phone into a gps lap timer. it works well and you can put a lot of splits. down side of coarse your phone is on the bike. I have a commando which is a rugged phone and has survived 2 100mph crashes.

USMC_10

nikk777;274553 wrote: With your starlane, do you have to set up the intervals and finish line on the first lap?
No, not any more. A firmware update eliminated that process and it now automatically determines finish line and intermediaries.

June 2012 Firmware update note:

-Introduced the innovative feature SAFD (Starlane Automatic Finish line Detection) developed by Starlane to allow the automatic finish line positioning on the main straight without any operation by the driver, also on unknown tracks.

It takes approx 2 laps for the GPS to learn the course and then it's automatic from there. Turn it on and run.

Ex. 39

USMC_10;274590 wrote: No, not any more. A firmware update eliminated that process and it now automatically determines finish line and intermediaries.

June 2012 Firmware update note:

-Introduced the innovative feature SAFD (Starlane Automatic Finish line Detection) developed by Starlane to allow the automatic finish line positioning on the main straight without any operation by the driver, also on unknown tracks.

It takes approx 2 laps for the GPS to learn the course and then it's automatic from there. Turn it on and run.

So you still can't go in after your session and cut up the track to see different splits? The gpx can, it also allows you to tie in several data aquisition points as well. I have rpm, temp, and throttle position tied in on mine, and there's many others you can do as well (suspension, gear, ect) overall, even at $200 more than the starlane, the gpx does sooooo much more, its well worth it, and can you call up starlane and actually talk to the guy that designed and developed the software when you have issues? Thats
customer service ya just can't put a pricetag on.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk

nikk777

Control Rider
Starlane was first on the scene... GPX came in a bit after but did it better I think. Took Starlane a few years just to catch up to where GPX started at it seems? And as mentioned, the GPX does a great deal more than just timing...but even at just that, there's so much you can do with the GPX timing on the computer! I bought my starlane new for $700+ several years ago...sold it used for $400 and bought a used GPX for $350. :D Very happy with the final result. I think you can get the GPX for $600-$700 new? Not sure what the current price on the Starlane is?

Ex. 39

nikk777;274607 wrote: Starlane was first on the scene... GPX came in a bit after but did it better I think. Took Starlane a few years just to catch up to where GPX started at it seems? And as mentioned, the GPX does a great deal more than just timing...but even at just that, there's so much you can do with the GPX timing on the computer! I bought my starlane new for $700+ several years ago...sold it used for $400 and bought a used GPX for $350. :D Very happy with the final result. I think you can get the GPX for $600-$700 new? Not sure what the current price on the Starlane is?
the AIM solo, which the OP is asking about, retails for $399.

This is the retail pricing on the GPX, depending on which one you get:

GPX Pro 4 $659
GPX Pro 8 $769

Ex. 39

Oh yea, XT Racing even has a forum that the owners/developers are always surfing, to give customers/potential customers a place to ask questions for everyone to see and compare notes on. Easy way to get info out there to more people. LoL, yea, i know ive said it before, but you cant beat their customer service.

http://www.xtracing.com/forums/index.php

Rmcaninch600;274566 wrote: trackmaster is a $10 app that turns your smart phone into a gps lap timer. it works well and you can put a lot of splits. down side of coarse your phone is on the bike. I have a commando which is a rugged phone and has survived 2 100mph crashes.
I've been wanting to do this. The downside is that most phones are insuffient when it comes to their GPS frequency and you need to buy an external bluetooth GPS for it to be effective.

polarpc

jaren warren;274702 wrote: I've been wanting to do this. The downside is that most phones are insuffient when it comes to their GPS frequency and you need to buy an external bluetooth GPS for it to be effective.
True, but for less than $100, depending on the model, you can pick one up that works great and just use the phone as a data logger. I bought one of the Q-Starz for about $60 and it worked great with the track master app when I used it.

I've suggested to several folks that lap timers might be a good thing for someone (cough, cough , NESBA, cough ) to rent out at the track.

moto1320

California Superbike School did this. You paid 20 bucks, they taped a sensor on your bike and recorded all of your lap times. At the end of the day you could go by and get a printed copy of all of you sessions.