Greeting NESBIANS - First Timer Looking for Guidance.

Ducati Pete

Hello All,

I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Pete from North Central WV and I'm an OLD man in the sportbike arena at 49 and looking for my first TD adventure. Before all you youngsters start rolling your eyes at Mr Mid-life Crisis........... keep in mind I've been riding two wheeled machines longer than your daddy's been alive. (I mean all this in good fun of course..... poking at myself more or less).

I have to say, I'm a bit intimidated, even at my age, regarding the unknown of track riding. I have the great fortune of living and riding in the twisties of the Appalachian Mountains but I doubt anything can prepare someone for the track day differences.

I am hopeful some of you can chime in with a little help. I kind of picture these events with 100's of riders on the track but I doubt that's the case? I take it the CR's are there to baby step newbies into the new world of TDing and present proper speeds and to teach lines, etc...? Although my friends and I ride lots of crazy mountain roads, getting on a wide open track simply seems surreal.

I'm coming at this from a slow-to-start pace and build over time as my skills and bike improve. I've ridden powered two wheeled things for 43 years and have never had a serious injury and plan on keeping it that way. I am a very calculated rider who knows his limits.

What advice do you give someone giving this a wholehearted try? Also, it appears there are openings for the upcoming BeaveRun and Summit Point days? Would you recommend one over the other or just jump in and ride both?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting some of you. Is there anyone willing to do a little mentoring to get me, and hopefully my riding buds, started off on the right foot? Let the CR's do the track stuff but some help in understanding everything surrounding these events would be hugely appreciated.

Be Cool,
Ducati Pete

02SV

Welcome Pete. Being a track noob myself and only a few years younger than yourself. My advice... Find a Track date, register and find out very quickly that you should have been doing it this way a LOOOONG time ago. After I went to VIR on Jun 30th. I will be signed up for 3 more dates come this Thurs. Summit on Aug 5th is one. Hope to see you there!

Meat

I agree with 02SV in that you just need to sign up for a track day. You will need things like a canopy, full riding gear, more Gatorade (or similar) and water than you think you could possibly drink, air pump, tire gauge, gas, a chair and umbrella girls if you have some to spare.

Make sure you read the member guide / rulebook or whatever it is called. That will let you know what you need to know about preparing for your first track day.

As time goes on there will be more things that you will want but I personally think it is wise to start off simple and add items as you see the need.

Get to the track early and introduce yourself to various people in the pits, letting them know it is your first track day. Nesba members will give you all the help and info that is desired (not everyone is interested in information).

I was super nervous for my first 20 track days or so and the first one was surreal. Just come out to a track day and try to relax as much as possible. You will be much happier the lower your anxiety is.

Welcome to nesba!!!!! Sounds like you have the right attitudes to really enjoy your new sport (track riding).

Ghost Cracker

Ducati Pete;247906 wrote: Hello All,

I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Pete from North Central WV and I'm an OLD man in the sportbike arena at 49 and looking for my first TD adventure. Before all you youngsters start rolling your eyes at Mr Mid-life Crisis........... keep in mind I've been riding two wheeled machines longer than your daddy's been alive. (I mean all this in good fun of course..... poking at myself more or less).

I have to say, I'm a bit intimidated, even at my age, regarding the unknown of track riding. I have the great fortune of living and riding in the twisties of the Appalachian Mountains but I doubt anything can prepare someone for the track day differences.

I am hopeful some of you can chime in with a little help. I kind of picture these events with 100's of riders on the track but I doubt that's the case? I take it the CR's are there to baby step newbies into the new world of TDing and present proper speeds and to teach lines, etc...? Although my friends and I ride lots of crazy mountain roads, getting on a wide open track simply seems surreal.

I'm coming at this from a slow-to-start pace and build over time as my skills and bike improve. I've ridden powered two wheeled things for 43 years and have never had a serious injury and plan on keeping it that way. I am a very calculated rider who knows his limits.

What advice do you give someone giving this a wholehearted try? Also, it appears there are openings for the upcoming BeaveRun and Summit Point days? Would you recommend one over the other or just jump in and ride both?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting some of you. Is there anyone willing to do a little mentoring to get me, and hopefully my riding buds, started off on the right foot? Let the CR's do the track stuff but some help in understanding everything surrounding these events would be hugely appreciated.

Be Cool,
Ducati Pete
first two are right. Let the peeps around you know its your first trackday, ask for help if you need it, cause everyone there is there to have a good time, just like you. I just did my first one on 23 June, and was signed up for the next possible one within three days after, it is that much fun. And just ask someone to explain how to go through reg and tech. After that is the meeting, then just listen for your group to be called. This past weekend I shared my canopy with someone id never met and had an awesome time, even though he wrecked after lunch. youll be fine and you will definitely have a good time

andykurz

It sounds like you have a good attitude, so just come to the track and try to relax.

At my first track day, I didn't know where to park (actually went to the wrong track at NJMP), who was in charge, etc. Ask questions, listen to the announcements, and talk to people around you -- all will be willing to help.

On the track, just ride your own ride and don't do anything you aren't comfortable with. Since you have been riding on the street for a long time, try to remember that there are some things that you do on the street, but don't do on the track. Understand that there will be differences, just follow instructions and have fun. You will ;)

Remember that, with NESBA, everyone is there to help you, not just the staff.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome, Ducati Pete! Here's a link to the Riders' Manual that Meat mentioned: http://www.nesba.com/Info/Downloads/manual.pdf
There's a lot of good info in there to get you started. Details on required gear and bike prep for starters.

No "youngsters" are going to roll their eyes at a "mid-life crisis". In fact, you'll find there's many members in your age group, and above! More than a few of us running around with gray in our hair! :) You won't find a more welcoming, helpful group.

You'll love the track. Don't be intimidated. With your attitude and years of street experience, you'll have a blast. You'll learn a lot, too. Just focus on being smooth and relaxed. Forget about speed, it'll be a by-product of good technique. Get with a Control Rider (CR), let them know you're new. They'll go over stuff with you. Sign up for the Beginner (B) group. They have an extra meeting in the morning and again at lunch to discuss all things track riding!

Depending on the length of the track, there could be 40-50 people on track at a time. NESBA runs three groups: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, in rotating 20 minute sessions. Riders in B and I are sent out single file in smallish groups behind a control rider. There are passing and other rules, it's definitely not a free-for-all. One thing I like about NESBA is you have to be promoted or "bumped" to the next group. Makes for better skill sets than some other orgs that let you ride in whatever group you think you should be in. And yes, the CRs will show you the proper lines, body position, etc. They line up at pit in at the end of the session and chat with those they observed. If you think you aren't getting enough attention, just find someone in an orange shirt and ask them to ride with you. Have something specific to work on....i.e. lines, body position.

It's learning, not a race, and your attitude is perfect!

BeaveRun is a good first track, as is Summit Jefferson. Summit Main would be ok, too, it's just got a longer high-speed straight, whereas the other two tracks are smaller. But, folks down south cut their teeth on big, fast tracks like Road Atlanta. Given your years of street riding experience, any should be fine.

I'll be at the Summit Point Main dates on Aug 5th and 6th. If you decide to do those, I'd be happy to help you get through the off-track stuff surrounding the event; getting through registration and tech, etc.

As mentioned, keep it simple, but bring plenty of water and gatoraid-type drinks, snacks, and a canopy for shade. I assume you're trailering to the event? Bring a 5 gal can of gas, and a chair. If you don't have these things, post up, I'm sure someone at the event you attend will share their shade. They do have gas pumps at the track, but it's expensive.

If you have any other questions, post 'em up!

Welcome!

denbsteph

TRACK CRACK........ TRACK CRACK....... TRACK CRACK........... TRACK CRACK................ TRACK CRACK............. TRACK CRACK at 49 is not old, I'm 49 and this is my first full year of TRACK CRACK............. TRACK CRACK................. Everyone here has given you excellent advise, it's not a race. It's about getting faster by the way of being smoother. Come with a plan on what you want to accomplish, things YOU feel you have to work on ie: throttle control, body position or JUST PLAIN HAVING FUN!!!

Welcome to the addiction. TRACK CRACK............ TRACK CRACK............ TRACK CRACK...........TTTRRRRRAAAACCCCKKKKK CCCCRRRAAACCCCCKKK.

DFlowe

Duc Pete,
You're certainly not too old. I started doing track days at 48 to be with my two sons. Now, I'm there regularly and they attend sporadically with both having families.

If I make it the 8/10, I'll be 57 and I'm having a very good time. To put it in track terms, I plan to "carry it in deep" regarding age, as long as I feel good and can be competitive. Also, I’m now a Control Rider in the Southeast and I hope that you’ll attend some of our events.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
denbsteph;247950 wrote: TRACK CRACK........ TRACK CRACK....... TRACK CRACK........... TRACK CRACK................ TRACK CRACK............. TRACK CRACK at 49 is not old, I'm 49 and this is my first full year of TRACK CRACK............. TRACK CRACK................. Everyone here has given you excellent advise, it's not a race. It's about getting faster by the way of being smoother. Come with a plan on what you want to accomplish, things YOU feel you have to work on ie: throttle control, body position or JUST PLAIN HAVING FUN!!!

Welcome to the addiction. TRACK CRACK............ TRACK CRACK............ TRACK CRACK...........TTTRRRRRAAAACCCCKKKKK CCCCRRRAAACCCCCKKK.
When was your last trackday? You, my man, are having serious withdrawals. Damn. LOL. :D

dt4629

DFlowe;247955 wrote: Duc Pete,
You're certainly not too old. I started doing track days at 48 to be with my two sons. Now, I'm there regularly and they attend sporadically with both having families.

If I make it the 8/10, I'll be 57 and I'm having a very good time. To put it in track terms, I plan to "carry it in deep" regarding age, as long as I feel good and can be competitive. Also, I’m now a Control Rider in the Southeast and I hope that you’ll attend some of our events.
That;s impressive and encouraging.

Ducati Pete

Hello All,

Thanks for all the awesome feedback and encouragement. I swear, I just sat here for two hours watching YouTube vids of BeaveRun and Summit. Lots of people having lots of fun. BUUUT, I must say even the B groups seems to run at a hefty pace. I dare say I've never run triple digit speeds before and normally stay under 90 with hopes of remaining Law Man Interface Free. Stepping it up to a taller pace will take time. Like I noted in my introduction, I plan on staying healthy too. But I also don't want to be a hazard...... but then again, passing people is a lot of fun so I'll be the one to give joy to many.............. at least I hope they see it that way. LOL

I need to clarify something. I've been riding bikes for 43 years............ ALL off road less an occasional borrowed Harley or the like over the years. I built my Ducati (another story, another time) and put it on the road a year ago. It is what brought me to NESBA in the first place. I've done a lot of riding over the years and my near pro level dirt riding allowed me to pick up road riding with ease. I also feel the dirt riding has allowed me to be comfortable and loose on the Duc. I don't freak in the least when slipping n gravel, dodging oppossums, etc...

Anyway, I ordered up race gear today, a one piece suit, gauntlet gloves and a few other goodies. Tomorrow, I'm getting together with my riding friends and will talk about coming as a group. Judy, I'll be writing you with a few questions next.

Thanks again everyone. I hope to find you guys (and gals) at the track. Look for a really good looking guy with greying hair riding a naked black Ducati and stop in to say hey. Hope to make BeaveRun and positively Summit.

Be Well, Be somewhat safe.
Pete

Ducati Pete

Meat;247910 wrote: I agree with 02SV in that you just need to sign up for a track day. You will need things like a canopy, full riding gear, more Gatorade (or similar) and water than you think you could possibly drink, air pump, tire gauge, gas, a chair and umbrella girls if you have some to spare.

Make sure you read the member guide / rulebook or whatever it is called. That will let you know what you need to know about preparing for your first track day.

Welcome to nesba!!!!! Sounds like you have the right attitudes to really enjoy your new sport (track riding).

Thanks Meat..... I appreciate the advice. I have already read the NESBA Handbook.... about 8 times. It spells out a lot for sure and an excellent guide. I was surprised how little bike prep there is for TDing. Groups B and I barely have to change anything from their street set ups, if anything at all..... will have to read the handbook for the ninth time to be sure.

By the way, I'm from WV............ I doubt you will want me to bring any umbrella girls........... Hardy har har.

Be Cool
Pete

Ducati Pete

HondaGalToo;247938 wrote: Welcome, Ducati Pete! Here's a link to the Riders' Manual that Meat mentioned: http://www.nesba.com/Info/Downloads/manual.pdf
There's a lot of good info in there to get you started. Details on required gear and bike prep for starters.

It's learning, not a race, and your attitude is perfect!

BeaveRun is a good first track, as is Summit Jefferson. Summit Main would be ok, too, it's just got a longer high-speed straight, whereas the other two tracks are smaller. But, folks down south cut their teeth on big, fast tracks like Road Atlanta. Given your years of street riding experience, any should be fine.

I'll be at the Summit Point Main dates on Aug 5th and 6th. If you decide to do those, I'd be happy to help you get through the off-track stuff surrounding the event; getting through registration and tech, etc.

If you have any other questions, post 'em up!

Welcome!
Judy,

A HUGE thanks for all the info and a bigger thanks for your willingness to show me/us (however it works out) around at Summit. After watching some videos tonight, I'm really intimidated by the track and the speeds. Running at 80 and 120 are two very different things. But, I will settle into my comfort zone and there I will stay until that zone expands.

ANYWAY Judy, You seem like the go to girl for many people. (I have previously read a lot of your posts with the most interesting one revolving around the Liter Bike vs 600 machine with the subsequent post regarding a fella by the name of Trent who has a death wish. Very interesting read for sure. AND I agree with you on horsepower. It is a rare person who can take a 600 to it's fullest potential, let alone a liter bike.) Oppps....... fell off subject there for a moment.

Back to my big question.............. and I have a real weird one for you. My two most interested riding buddies have been Harley boys for the last decade yet each have sportbike riding experience from years ago plus they too have loads of dirt riding under their belts. This past winter each of them performed a frame off restoration of vintage Japanese bikes which they converted into cafe style racers. They want to do track days but feel no regular track day eventor will allow their participation due to the age, slower speeds and potential mechanical failure issues of their old machines. Can you positively answer the question of........ are they allowed to run at NESBA events or Not? If you cannot answer this for me....... do you know the Power-To-Be person whom I need to consult?

Once again, thanks for all the info and I will get back to you on the direction I/We take. At the very least, I plan on buying $500 in credits to open a membership and schedule three TDs here in the near future. If my friends cannot join me, too bad...... go buy real bikes and come have fun with the rest of us.

Be Well
Pete

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Ducati Pete;248029 wrote: Judy,

Back to my big question.............. and I have a real weird one for you. My two most interested riding buddies have been Harley boys for the last decade yet each have sportbike riding experience from years ago plus they too have loads of dirt riding under their belts. This past winter each of them performed a frame off restoration of vintage Japanese bikes which they converted into cafe style racers. They want to do track days but feel no regular track day eventor will allow their participation due to the age, slower speeds and potential mechanical failure issues of their old machines. Can you positively answer the question of........ are they allowed to run at NESBA events or Not? If you cannot answer this for me....... do you know the Power-To-Be person whom I need to consult?

Be Well
Pete
I'm afraid I can't answer that positively. What year are the bikes, and how big are the engines? The only thing currently disallowed on all but the small tracks are single cylinder supermoto bikes (basically dirt or dual-purpose converted over to street tires) that are under 500cc. They just don't obtain the top speeds of regular bikes. There's been a ton of debate on that, as bikes like the TZ125 two stroke are allowed, as are other lower horsepower bikes. But I digress...

My personal feeling is that if they are mechanically sound with no leaks, nothing rattling off them, and have twin or 4 cylinder engines, I would think they'd be ok. I mean, there's vintage racing and stuff:) But I can't give you the answer.

The place to get the definitive answer is to email info@nesba.com

Additionally, you could look up the two mid-atlantic directors on here....screennames of Kubricky and Dave561. If they don't accept PMs, they may have an email address in their signatures.

Ruhe52

Judy good call on running it by Kubs or Dave. We did have a gent run a suicide shift Harley in B class at VIR North last year. Cannot imagine grabbing a shift mid corner but hey whatever floats it right.

Welcome aboard Pete. No worries about comfort zone and triple digits. We show you the line work with you and slowly ( depending on how you want to roll) pull you just a little over that line. Walk up to pace don't sprint.

You have a great attitude. Keep in mind it is a hell of a lot of fun being an older guy in the paddock.
One of my riding buddies that got me interested in the track was a pretty fast guy at 68.
As Dave Brown says when the visor drops the bulls&$@ stops.
I look at it this way. Leathered up full face lid you are a rider could be 16 could be 75 for all I care. You having a safe , fun day learning techniques that improve that fun and safety are our priorities.

Enjoy your first track day like many other firsts in your life you'll never forget it.

Ducati Pete

Bubba Zanetti;248059 wrote: Hello and welcome Toecutter.

BZ

Hey Bubba........ Good to see you again. I thinks we can do some damage at these Track Days. Lots of free fuel when nobody's lookin. Swipe some parts too.

In reality Bubba, I picked up the Toecutter pic a while back when I named my Ducati conversion Mad Max. My Duc has a Mad Max evil appearance. Everyone that sees it agrees the name fits, then we ride and Toecutter came to mind. HAHAHA

See you at the track.
Ducati Pete AKA Toecutter

Ducati Pete

Ruhe52;248044 wrote:

I look at it this way. Leathered up full face lid you are a rider could be 16 could be 75 for all I care. You having a safe , fun day learning techniques that improve that fun and safety are our priorities.

Enjoy your first track day like many other firsts in your life you'll never forget it.
Thanks Ruhe52,

I agree. Being young once I thought I was the S**t and had my a** handed to me more than once from an "old guy". One of the best off road riders I personally know is 60 and few can hang with him to this day. There is no better thing than experience to make one fast.

I was taught a LONG time ago when learning to snow ski that if you start slow, work on your technic, the speed (and safety) will come naturally. Hence my approach to road riding and now track days.

The reason I am going to start doing track events is that my road skills are getting me into dangerous territory. Everything on the road moves way too slow any more and I'm pushing the envelope too far. It's time to leave the road behind and take it to the track. I fully expect in a year's time, the Duc will be taken of the road and twisted up or sold for a better Duc or ????? Time will tell.

See you at the track,
Pete

Ducati Pete

HondaGalToo;248035 wrote: I'm afraid I can't answer that positively. What year are the bikes, and how big are the engines? The only thing currently disallowed on all but the small tracks are single cylinder supermoto bikes (basically dirt or dual-purpose converted over to street tires) that are under 500cc. They just don't obtain the top speeds of regular bikes. There's been a ton of debate on that, as bikes like the TZ125 two stroke are allowed, as are other lower horsepower bikes. But I digress...

My personal feeling is that if they are mechanically sound with no leaks, nothing rattling off them, and have twin or 4 cylinder engines, I would think they'd be ok. I mean, there's vintage racing and stuff:) But I can't give you the answer.

The place to get the definitive answer is to email info@nesba.com

Additionally, you could look up the two mid-atlantic directors on here....screennames of Kubricky and Dave561. If they don't accept PMs, they may have an email address in their signatures.
Thanks Judy,

I had read a post regarding small single cylinder bikes and cannot personally make a call on that issue as I have been to track days yet. At this moment though, I feel if a person wants to ride, bring what you have and run the B group.

My friends have real vintage stuff. Mid 70's CB500 (quad), a KZ750 (triple) and a GT380 (triple two stroker). These are rippin bikes. They took them to a vintage drag a few weeks ago and the GT380 took third overall. Impressive, especially considering the GT was being ridden by the 17 year old son of my friend.

I want my friend to bring his son to track days as the boy has amazing talents but I feel he needs a more up to date machine and shouldn't be learning life long skills on an old bike. Track days under the guidance of CR's would teach him more than the three of us could otherwise.

I will look up the people you suggested and get their input. Hopefully, all three (or four) of us will see you at the track. I'm going to make a point of finding you to say thanks in person. You have no idea (or maybe you do) what it means to me to have a go to person.

Be Well,
Pete