Grips?

jfeagin

I like the Progrip gel grips. $12/pair and you get color choices.

Tip on safety wiring: turn the tag end of the wire into the grip. That way it doesn't catch on your gloves or anything.

sideburn34;175629 wrote: Completely off..Maybe, but I had a throttle side grip slide down and bind against the barend on a stock clip-on. Released the throttle and it stuck. Made for a real panic/pucker moment. I've Safety wired them since then.
Ahaaaaa . . . . def a "oh-shit" situation. Next mod: safety wire.

fitz

OK, got the grips and the clip-ons on.

Removing the triple, the OEM clipons and installing the new clipons was easy, installing the new grips was NOT. I had a heck of a time trying to get the grips on, and I tried everything! Until I tried blowing some air under them and zoink they went right on. :)

I put the Superbike grips on first, the other grips are VERY gripy compared to what I'm used to, I'll try them at a later date.

I tried 1,000,000,000 different variations with the clip-ons, I think I have them set for what feels the best (probably exactly in the same position as before :doh: ).

Do you need to lube under the throttle sleeve?

Do any of you use the Motion Pro throttle kit, what do you think of it?

fitz

IMG_8090.jpg

noobinacan

HondaGalToo;177663 wrote: Lube under the plastic throttle sleeve, between it and the clipon? Nope.
I do...very very small amount and just barely enough.
I think it helps...cause the throttle seems to snap back quicker.
same for the housing..just a litty bitty thin coat.

the bad part..it will attract dust and probably need cleaning once a season.
but that's what off season's for :asleep:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
noobinacan;177875 wrote: I do...very very small amount and just barely enough.
I think it helps...cause the throttle seems to snap back quicker.
same for the housing..just a litty bitty thin coat.

the bad part..it will attract dust and probably need cleaning once a season.
but that's what off season's for :asleep:
:notsure: I'd think that lubing the throttle cables would help the throttle snap back quicker. One of the few maintenance items I actually do neglect...

MikeyR6

I've never seen it mentioned before, but last season I tried the grip tape/solvent used for putting grips on golf clubs. You can get the supplies at any sporting goods store or golf store. Roughly $10 will get you enough stuff to re-grip about 40 times.

Wrap the tape around the clipon/throttle tube so it looks like a candy cane with an extra wrap or two at each of the ends. Wet the tape and inside of the grip with the solvent, and it will slide right on. Let it set over night, and PRESTO! Grips that won't twist!

You can use a razor blade to cut the grips off, and if you don't go all the way through the tape, you can peel it all off in one piece, and there's no mess to clean up. I just replaced my grips last night, and it took less than 5 minutes to have the old grips and tape off ready for new tape/grips.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
MikeyR6;184028 wrote: I've never seen it mentioned before, but last season I tried the grip tape/solvent used for putting grips on golf clubs. You can get the supplies at any sporting goods store or golf store. Roughly $10 will get you enough stuff to re-grip about 40 times.

Wrap the tape around the clipon/throttle tube so it looks like a candy cane with an extra wrap or two at each of the ends. Wet the tape and inside of the grip with the solvent, and it will slide right on. Let it set over night, and PRESTO! Grips that won't twist!

You can use a razor blade to cut the grips off, and if you don't go all the way through the tape, you can peel it all off in one piece, and there's no mess to clean up. I just replaced my grips last night, and it took less than 5 minutes to have the old grips and tape off ready for new tape/grips.
That's a cool idea, thanks for sharing.

MikeyR6

HondaGalToo;184033 wrote: That's a cool idea, thanks for sharing.
You bet! I have good ideas once in a while... Usually some time between unscheduled departures, when I'm trying to figure out an quicker/faster/cheaper/safer way to do fix something. :eek:

Gorecki

betarace;177675 wrote: Haven't tried them but will soon

Spidergrips.com
I'm a little late in the game on this, but I have those on mine right now. Pretty gummy/grippy.

Learning the hard way, DO NOT use brake cleaner to put these on! Mine started to basically melt away instantly. :doh:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Gorecki;184051 wrote: I'm a little late in the game on this, but I have those on mine right now. Pretty gummy/grippy.

Learning the hard way, DO NOT use brake cleaner to put these on! Mine started to basically melt away instantly. :doh:
Yeah, I did that once, too. I've used Honda contact cleaner in the past, which worked, but I grabbed brake cleaner by accident once. Some grips also seem more resistant than others. So far, hairspray's been working fine for me. With safety wire, too.

Gorecki

HondaGalToo;184054 wrote: Yeah, I did that once, too. I've used Honda contact cleaner in the past, which worked, but I grabbed brake cleaner by accident once. Some grips also seem more resistant than others. So far, hairspray's been working fine for me. With safety wire, too.
As I understand it, a lot of grip compounds will do just fine with the brake cleaner, just seems the gel/gummy types don't. But man, once they're on, THEY ARE ON! :D

Steve

I'm not sure about this, but I heard hairspray is water soluble, so if you ride in the rain alot, it could get washed away.

I just rolled the stock grips off and used air to install them on my woodcraft clipons, plus safety wire.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Steve;184060 wrote: I'm not sure about this, but I heard hairspray is water soluble, so if you ride in the rain alot, it could get washed away.

I just rolled the stock grips off and used air to install them on my woodcraft clipons, plus safety wire.
Hairspray is water soluble. I'd imagine rain/moisture could certainly dissolve it. Hence the safety wire! :)