Group question

Kruizen

Control Rider
So I've been running with TPM and am switching over to NESBA in July. I'm in intermediate with tpm, and am wondering where to sign up with nesba.

I was just at beaverun and after lunch I was consistintly running 1min 12-16 laps with little to no traffic. I do know I was hitting the apexes in turns 1-4 early, part of that was just getting used to the track as I had never been on this track before.

Ready signed up for the 2 days up at beaver in July.

Thanks in advance
-Eric

avizpls

#11-A
Beginner I'd say? Just going off BeaveRun times. I got my bump to I while doing 1:10's and I wasnt having traffic trouble in B either. I think you'll be fine to start in B and then move to I.

Of course, if youre willing to be honest with yourself, you could sign up in I and yhou'll know right away if youre not in the right place. you can always go to B from I right?

ZeroBahamutxRR

My opinion would be to let NESBA make the decision. Sign up in :b: and like Noobinacan said, if your ready, you'll get the bump. I'm not trying to bash other companies with what I'm about to say but I've seen from my personal experience that NESBA :i: guys usually fall into the advanced group of other companies. Maybe not ones fresh from :b: but you'll hear more and more about how fast some if not most :i: riders are. Enjoy the ride and welcome to NESBA.

flyR6

ZeroBahamutxRR;246603 wrote: My opinion would be to let NESBA make the decision. Sign up in :b: and like Noobinacan said, if your ready, you'll get the bump. I'm not trying to bash other companies with what I'm about to say but I've seen from my personal experience that NESBA :i: guys usually fall into the advanced group of other companies. Maybe not ones fresh from :b: but you'll hear more and more about how fast some if not most :i: riders are. Enjoy the ride and welcome to NESBA.
I did not think you even had a choice unless you have a current expert race license so you could ride with the advanced group? At least that was what I was told the first time. They did get me bumped by lunch so it was no big deal and the B group had some pretty fast guys as well.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
flyR6;246616 wrote: I did not think you even had a choice unless you have a current expert race license so you could ride with the advanced group? At least that was what I was told the first time. They did get me bumped by lunch so it was no big deal and the B group had some pretty fast guys as well.
Nope..you're correct. The ONLY way to get to A group automatically is by holding a current CCS/WERA Expert License at the very minimum.

This question's been asked before and hashed about over the years.

My 2 cents (not that anybody wants it..but oh well sucks to be ALL of you).

You can only be bumped by twice..and it's a GREAT feeling to be told by a Control Rider it's time for you to move up..then that reward of the new sticker..and more liberal passing privileges...so why people want to rob themselves of a sense of accomplishment, however trivial it may be, is beyond my understanding.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Know I'm definitly not advanced by nesba standards. will prob go with b group, will be there for 2 days.

Reading the beginner rules they seem pretty strict? How do the control riders differ between tpm and nesba, when actually on the track? If this question makes sense? They obviously can ride.

My last day at beaver was an open day, really cool. Being able to pass inside and anywhere in the turn, and having the experience of being passed on the inside.

Domenic

D-Zum;246623 wrote:

You can only be bumped by twice..and it's a GREAT feeling to be told by a Control Rider it's time for you to move up..then that reward of the new sticker..and more liberal passing privileges...so why people want to rob themselves of a sense of accomplishment
:agree:

andykurz

Kruizen;246627 wrote: Know I'm definitly not advanced by nesba standards. will prob go with b group, will be there for 2 days.

Reading the beginner rules they seem pretty strict? How do the control riders differ between tpm and nesba, when actually on the track? If this question makes sense? They obviously can ride.

My last day at beaver was an open day, really cool. Being able to pass inside and anywhere in the turn, and having the experience of being passed on the inside.
Passing in the B group will be restricted to straights only. Later in the day, rules may open up a bit. You won't be inside passing. They will explain the rules clearly, which can be different from other groups - and even different from other nesba days, so it helps to listen.

You will find that the CRs are part instructor and part traffic cop. Both are a great resource to you. As traffic cop, they will keep slower riders separated from faster riders, and they do a great job managing that. As an instructor, that really depends on you. If it's a busy day, they can't work with everyone - so you seeking advice is the best way to get it.

You will be pleased with the difference vs. TPM (IMHO).

Kruizen

Control Rider
That was really where I was going with that question. How they control the different paces of the riders, with the limited passing areas.

andykurz

If you are fast, you'll get around. In the B group, on a crowded day, you *might* have to wait a bit. For reference, I am a B rider and over the past couple of days (all crowded days!), have been easily able to get around slower folks.

Depending on what you ride (I am on an older, stock 600), you may be a bit nagged trying to pass someone on a bigger bike on the straights. Usually you can set them up enough that passing isn't a problem. If that doesn't work, pit out, get some space, and you'll be amazed at how much open track there can be even with 30-40+ riders on the track!

The CRs really do a great job managing. Try to work with one or more of them as early in the day as possible, and you will have a great experience.

Dave561

Control Rider
The CRs suck. They ride around all day with one hand on the bars, looking around at traffic. They're all the time making you try to change your body position so that you wear out your shiny new knee pucks. Plus all that hanging off makes your legs hurt. Who wants that? They also make you change you're line so that you can't go off into the grass to go pick flowers. I wouldn't trust anyone wearing an Orange shirt. :D

moman

I ride with both groups and I can tell you the NESBA "B" group moves at a faster pace. Contrary to what I've heard from the other group the NESBA CR's do not make you stay behind them all session. If you are on their pace they WILL wave you past. Took me over twice as many track days to get bumped with the other guys as it did NESBA.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Funny, funny, good to hear about hem waving you past.

Hated beaver for the first few sessions now I think it's a great fun track.

I need some help dialing in my suspension before hand, my rebound is not correct. The front edge of my treads are raised/bumped up, does that mean I should increase or reduce rebound for beaver, as this this the track it presented on,

thanks

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Mark Rozema from Markbilt Racebikes is the trackside support for NESBA in our region. Next NESBA event, enlist his services to help you with any suspension issues you may be having.

It's not a lot of money for his time..but it will make your bike handle a LOT better, and you'll save money in tires because you won't be chewing them up because of a poorly performing suspension.

Ghost Cracker

Agreed,

My first time on the track on 23 june. Once i was on pace the CR's waved me past everytime. And i think being in B group will belp you become a smarter rider because you have to plan your passes and manage your speed. Out of turn five I got a lot of passes going all the way to the strip with a lot of throttle. 10a will teach you to pass on the brakes if your good on them. I didnt hear until later that the CR's consider the area in between 1 and 2 to be a small straight, that will help me out greatly next time cause 1 is such a fast turn. Youll have plenty of fun in b group, I had a knee on the ground damn near every corner and that is with the CR's telling me i had good body position after every session.

JRA

This is why we don't allow inside passing. You might think it's cool and all but this video is a text book example of what happens when a rider on the inside suddenly realizes he is too hot. This video will get its own thread in the near future but for now this is a good opportunity to make the point.

The rider on the inside stands the guy up to his outside, and then promptly looses the front and takes them both out. There is absolutely no reason why this should have happened. It's clearly an illegal pass, and the guy crashes because he panics when he realizes he's too hot and grabs a big handful of front brake. He's barely even leaned the bike over when he tucks.

This is what happens when a rider without enough experience to handle the situation gets inside of you and panics. A rider with better skill could have easily completed that turn with one hand on the bar while looking over his shoulder.

We have rules because there is a wide diversity in rider ability. In the beginner and intermediate groups there are some who could handle this situation but there are clearly others who can't. We can't have one set of rules for a more experienced B or I rider and another set for a lesser experienced rider, so will always err on the side of caution by restricting all riders ability to take another person out like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40DMdNIsO5w&feature=context-chv

Kruizen

Control Rider
John, I can appreciate that.

So a couple of newb questions about services:
1. Is there always tire service? At least mounting, buying tires? Who do you order tires from?
2. How can I confirm that mark will be at beaver in July?

I had my suspension dialed in for vir N, but the bumps on the back straight and a couple of areas really showed some interesting issues on my tires after I started hitting a better pace.

stkr

Lots of good info in here. :cool:

That video is a perfect example of what "can" happen when when people "think" they have it all down already. It only takes a small lapse in judgement to ruin a track day.

B-group is a great place to start. It sorts itself out pretty quick and those that are ready, find themselves bumping up. The bump to "I" just means you're ready to start the learning process all over again. The same thing happens with the bump to "A" and even when you get to the CR position.

All of us are always learning no matter what sticker we have on our bike. That's what it's all about. Learning and having fun.

Plus, if you don't start in "B", then you can't make a progressive sticker like this one on my old bike. ;)

62906378-a3e3-2a72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk