Happy Holidays (at least here in PA)

Motofun352

Control Rider
Yahoo, best holiday of the year...Grundsow Day! (That's Groundhog Day to you somewhat illegal aliens :alien:). Drink beer, speak Dutchy and expect 6 more weeks of winter. :rofl:

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
After that disappointment I'm sure D-Zum will lock and load on every groundhog that he sees, with enjoyment! haha

tdelegram

Control Rider
Great holiday and movie! Now that PA has approved auto loaders for hunting, my AR might get some cracks at ground hogs in the horse pasture.

Winter is over in 2 weeks thanks to Dave.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
6 MORE weeks? Did we even have a winter? I can't remember the last time I saw snow on the ground. Why the hell do I own a 4-wheel drive truck?

Oh yeah, to pull Darrin's trailer to Florida to go riding!

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
F groundhogs, they are mess up my lawn all the time.......DAMN did that just make me sound old or what? Dzum bring Alex up to my place and you guys can have some fun with a ton of groundhogs lol

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I can shoot from my side patio. Or my back door. Or garage doors. I agree with Emerson. Friggin groundhogs on my property get to meet .204 Ruger.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Always wanted to set up a 22-250 for 300yd+

There's no more on my parents 11 acres thanks to my .22mag. Fun little gun

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
The .204 is really similar to the 22-250, except it hits a little harder and faster at longer ranges. But really not much. About 1 inch less drop at over 400yds. And it's just slightly less energy at short ranges - but it uses less powder, and doesn't heat the barrel up as much. It's a friggin ridiculously fast round - and either one of them takes care of groundhog problems with ease. I've got a .22 mag also - but the problem is that at anything over about 50yds, those groundhogs are tough and they can survive. The .204 does away with that problem - period. I will say, however, the .204 has a crazy penetrating crack when it fires.

I have more than 11 acres, but am right next to a large farm - so it's impossible to permanently eliminate groundhogs. The dumb SOBs keep coming over. The bigger problem than what they do to my "yard" (the acres I cut with a Kubota finish mower) are the holes they make even in other parts that are just plain dangerous. Used to have horses here, and you know what those holes can do to the leg of a horse.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
The .204 is really similar to the 22-250, except it hits a little harder and faster at longer ranges. But really not much. About 1 inch less drop at over 400yds. And it's just slightly less energy at short ranges - but it uses less powder, and doesn't heat the barrel up as much. It's a friggin ridiculously fast round - and either one of them takes care of groundhog problems with ease. I've got a .22 mag also - but the problem is that at anything over about 50yds, those groundhogs are tough and they can survive. The .204 does away with that problem - period. I will say, however, the .204 has a crazy penetrating crack when it fires.

I have more than 11 acres, but am right next to a large farm - so it's impossible to permanently eliminate groundhogs. The dumb SOBs keep coming over. The bigger problem than what they do to my "yard" (the acres I cut with a Kubota finish mower) are the holes they make even in other parts that are just plain dangerous. Used to have horses here, and you know what those holes can do to the leg of a horse.
We raised cows evevery year so yes. Interesting never heard of the .204 before but now I'm interested. I went for head shots at 100-150yds with the .22. Anything less is not lethal. Good thing is they're not incredibly smart.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I've played with the idea of getting a 17HMR for groundhogs. While I celebrate GH day, I much prefer them in GH heaven or Punxsutawney than in my fields or woods. :)

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
That was on my list as well. This silly 2 wheeled obsession has hindered my budget for other diversions :D

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I've never shot the .17. I like the idea of it, but it's hard for me to justify since a .22Mag is relatively close and it's limited to short distances. I have to contain my tendency to pick up new toys.

Dave, the .204 became somewhat popular back around 2005. It's a little more expensive to shoot in terms of ammo than the 22.250 and it's a little harder to find the ammo. But the kinetic energy is amazing. It's pretty popular for the guys out west because it's got some pretty long legs on it. For me, when I'm having to shoot between trees and only have a small window to even see the gh, it hits fast and hard. Up in these parts we've got these things called hills and trees, and our groundhogs are the size of what them southern guys call deer. :)

Motofun352

Control Rider
Some of you may remember my last dog, Casey. A gentle dog if ever there was one...except for groundhogs. She was able to tree the SOBs...made target practice much easier.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Have you ever shot one with a bow and arrow. You gotta lob it up in the air. It makes for a fun challenge. Plus it's a riot to watch them turn around to bite at the arrow.

itz5001

does anyone wanna buy any ammo? lol. I have a case of 204 ruger, like 4-500 rds of 17hmr, case of 20 gauge, a few boxes of 22 hornet. Don't have any guns to shoot these rounds out of haha...

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
does anyone wanna buy any ammo? lol. I have a case of 204 ruger, like 4-500 rds of 17hmr, case of 20 gauge, a few boxes of 22 hornet. Don't have any guns to shoot these rounds out of haha...

Later this year if you still have it and are going to one of the weekends I'll be at, I might be interested in the .204 ammo.

The .17 is a nice, flat shooting varmint gun. Shoots nice and flat, but any wind affects it. I love mine. I'll be at Road Atlanta in April and would take all of the .17 rounds, itz5001, depending upon price.