Have you guys ever...

Blaise

Me too... Agreed!

I really don't see much of a discrepancy between people's heads and their riding ability since I've been riding in Intermediate. In B group, however, things were very different. Some people came in riding way slower than they needed to (just ask Pascal about my first trackday), and others way over their heads who crashed out on their first or second session.

Of course I'm ignoring how things were when I used to ride on the street. Sigh... big egos and zero gear lead to some bad stuff.

sobottka

benprobst;38461 wrote: Have you ever met a bunch a B/I group and slow A group guys who think they are fast enough to laugh at guys coming into racing and talk about how the new guys will get smoked by other (not them) fast guys? Yeah its really funny, just think, after 3 years of trackdays they are still THIS slow, amazing.

:saythat:

:D
he he he

I actually dont see the problem with skipping the track days before racing for some. my first time racing (early 90) there was no such thing as track days. my second "career" I only did 1 track day before my first race.
...and a little smack talk never hurt anyone

snikwad

slow_honda;38492 wrote: Dude, there was this one guy asked a bunch of weird questions and thought he was all that. What was his number??? 777 maybe? :D
hahahah, :p never that, lol

avizpls

#11-A
Uh...I'm one of these guys who thinks he's going to just come on in and be fast on the first day. I wouldnt want to pay so much freakin money (you guys do know this is an expensive "waste" right?) to get on the track if I thought I was going to be afraid to go fast and have fun and get better. But of course I think im fast. of course I think i can ride well. That said proudly, I have no hesitation about listening to pointers, following faster guys, working on one section at a time, etc.

There's not a problem with thinking you're fast. Theres not even a problem with being cocky about it. The guys you talk about are just assholes, plain and simple. nothing to do with racing OR riding.

avizpls

#11-A
and if you cant back it up, be humble enough to recognize it, learn, and practice until you CAN back it up.

steph1000

perfect...nesba is sooo easy going that they let me sign up as a control rider for my 1st day with them..gotta love the trust..look out for the pink vest boys...:saythat:

riddler

Weren't we all like that once? :dunno: I remember talking to a guy that raced when I first got interested in trackdays. It was 98 and I had the hot brand new 98 R1. I had signed up for Code's Cali Superbike School at RA. He told me he would lap me on his 600, and I said I know I am inexperienced but wouldn't I make it up on the straights will all that horsepower? He laughed :haha:
I had the most humbling, but great time that day, and started looking for track orgs immediately after.

PS - Much of the humbling experience was being passed like I was standing still by a young Roger Lee Hayden. I think he was 15.

PPS - Still trying to milk another year or 2 out of the 98 R1!

snikwad

riddler;38564 wrote: Weren't we all like that once? :dunno: I remember talking to a guy that raced when I first got interested in trackdays. It was 98 and I had the hot brand new 98 R1. I had signed up for Code's Cali Superbike School at RA. He told me he would lap me on his 600, and I said I know I am inexperienced but wouldn't I make it up on the straights will all that horsepower? He laughed :haha:
I had the most humbling, but great time that day, and started looking for track orgs immediately after.

PS - Much of the humbling experience was being passed like I was standing still by a young Roger Lee Hayden. I think he was 15.

PPS - Still trying to milk another year or 2 out of the 98 R1!
i never expected to go the track and be exceptionally fast, and i def didnt think then, nor now, that im race ready.

I knew i wouldnt be at the back of the pack, but for sure i knew i wouldnt be upfront either.

daddyo

Im one those boneheads that wrecked on his first track day. My only track day. . I vowed trackside to keep doing this until it aint fun no more!
I realised that I learned more in that 7 hours on the track than in the last 10 years on the street. So I bought a track bike to learn how to ride a sportbike the way it was intended!!!

P.s. The CR told me we would start out slow. Aparently he was joking!

rk97

RICKYROADRACER;38525 wrote: It's not Bragging if you can back it up!! MUHOMAD ALI.
didn't he also say "it's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." I like that one better :D

crewnutz

i know of a FEW people who came in from the street and instantly showed they had a natural talent.......most have to really train & practice though

however i do also meet a lot of street riders who talk a lot of smack, its all fun though, i enjoy meeting everyone that loves to ride whether theyre street squids or professional racers

Snow

I remember my first TD, it was with a different organization that starts out really slow and gets faster as the day continues. Those first couple of setions where not what I had expected, almost disapointing, I thought this track thing is going to be easy. Later on in the day they opened up passing and I just happened to get behind a CR that wanted me to follow him, I thought no problem. We went throght a couple of turns picking up the pace to the point where I knew I was out of my comfort zone. Apparently he wasn't, we took a nice sweeping left hander, as we where going through the apex I saw him drop his left hand and drag his fingers through the corner like it was nothing. At that point I knew I wasn't all that.