Helmet question

dudette

Jul 21, 2008
Does anyone know what AGV helmet Marco was wearing when he crashed and his helmet came off? :dunno:

I'm asking because I need to get another helmet for the season and I do like the AGV GP Tech and the AGV Grid helmets.

I thought about the Sheoi RF1100 or another Suomy to replace the one I have used for the last 3 years. But when tucked in corners I have some issues looking into the turn with the Suomy. It seems the Suomy comes down just over my eyes and have to push it up to see throughout the corner.

I started track days with Arai and know the Arai's are awesome but tried some of the new ones and they didn't feel right. I tried the Shoei FR1100 and it fits. Both the Shoei and Suomy are snug and comfortable. I like the Suomy and AGV graffics better. I know this isn't most important thing but if paying $500 and up I want something I like all around.

I have a long narrow shaped face and wear an Xsmall.
Any advise is very welcomed and look forward to getting out there soon. :D

Donna
07 cbr600rr "I" #626

slowpoke

May 18, 2009
I suggest that you don't use Marco's accident as a factor in your decision. Unfortunately, there are rare crashes (like Marco's) that make helmets almost irrelevant, crashes that are just plainly not survivable. Additionally, what GP riders actually wear is often not available to the masses.
IMO, and just for me, it's Arai or Shoei - otherwise I won't ride in another lid. Good luck and keep in mind that any Shoei or Arai can have pads swapped out for a better, more customized fit.

Wawazat

Aug 22, 2011
Go with what fits and protects you. Ventilation and wind noise are tie-breaking qualities. If you are concerned about the cost at all, go with a solid color. ...my two cents. (Even though I only get a penny for my thoughts. Where's this tax going?)

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Irish01

Jul 11, 2008
Are you in a location where the motorcycle show hasn't come around too you yet? Or can you get to a place that caries a decent variety of lids you can try on? I am with Slowpoke in terms of brands, Arai or Shoei, but you should try them on first. Good food for thought is if you can barely get it on then it fits. The better brands have various shapes to their different models so each shape of head has a chance to be happy!

R1Baby

Control Rider
Jul 16, 2008
I would recommend getting yourself fitted by an expert. Found out last year that I had been wearing the wrong size helmet. After some measurements and changing cheek pad size, now have a helmet that fits perfectly. The folks at The Service Pavilion that were at the NYC international motorcycle show are true professionals. Believe they are located in PA.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I also wear an x-small, Arai, and had the problem of the helmet sliding down over my eyes, too. It needed different pads. I finally had one custom fit at the NY motorcycle show by The Service Pavilion. Different cheek pads, different pad on top of the head, with extra padding put in at the forehead. Finally I know how a helmet should fit. Bummer the show was January, as they are at the show. They're in New Holland, PA. They put the different size pads in that you need, so you don't have to spend extra money guessing at what thickness pads to buy. Are there any places near you that carry pads that would swap them in and out to see what's best?

Ah, R1baby beat me to it. www.theservicepavilion.com

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Oct 20, 2008
NJ
+1 what Chris said Arai or Shoei...although I've bought a NEXX from Markbuilt and can't wait to try it out. It has more peripheral vision than any helmet I've seen so far.

Gorilla

Control Rider
Feb 3, 2009
Been wearin Shoei since the 90s the last two were X-11s but couldn't see 750+ for a X-12. Found a great deal on a Bell Star and couldn't be happier plus it comes with a sweet ass helmet bag and the breath guard is the best I've ever used.

dudette

Jul 21, 2008
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Chris, I was asking about Marco because AGV is stating the helmet was designed to come off in certain circumstances. I think I want my helmet to stay on in any crash.

Didn't know about "The Service Pavillion" I wish I had seen them, might have to go see them in Pa. Triing to go to different stores and try on helmets.

I did go to the NYC show and talked to Arai and Shoei. The Arai rep did measure my head and suggested the xsmall but didn't fit well. He didn't change out any pads which I know you can do. The Shoei rep was much better and the xsmall fit and felt much better. I should have bought it there for I could have saved some bucks but like most people, jan bad time to spend more money after xmas shopping.

I have used Arai, Shoei, Suomy and Agv in the past and had no serious problems with either. All those have saved my head. Now also looking at ventilation and noise in making a decession not just price.

Thanks for all the advise..but know Arai is out. I'll still do some research...I have some time to find something.
Donna
"I" #626

slowpoke

May 18, 2009
dudette;233278 wrote: Thanks everyone for the replies.

Chris, I was asking about Marco because AGV is stating the helmet was designed to come off in certain circumstances. I think I want my helmet to stay on in any crash.

Didn't know about "The Service Pavillion" I wish I had seen them, might have to go see them in Pa. Triing to go to different stores and try on helmets.

I did go to the NYC show and talked to Arai and Shoei. The Arai rep did measure my head and suggested the xsmall but didn't fit well. He didn't change out any pads which I know you can do. The Shoei rep was much better and the xsmall fit and felt much better. I should have bought it there for I could have saved some bucks but like most people, jan bad time to spend more money after xmas shopping.

I have used Arai, Shoei, Suomy and Agv in the past and had no serious problems with either. All those have saved my head. Now also looking at ventilation and noise in making a decession not just price.

Thanks for all the advise..but know Arai is out. I'll still do some research...I have some time to find something.
Donna
"I" #626
PM Lortega - he's the local shoei rep and a CR. very knowledgable - not about selling you something as much as being a good resource and an overall good guy. as for noise, wear ear plugs: wind and bike noise will destroy your hearing regardless of the helmet.

LOrtega

Control Rider
Jul 13, 2008
slowpoke;233289 wrote: PM Lortega - he's the local shoei rep and a CR. very knowledgable - not about selling you something as much as being a good resource and an overall good guy. as for noise, wear ear plugs: wind and bike noise will destroy your hearing regardless of the helmet.
Thanks for the kind words Chris...

Please if you have any questions feel free to PM me...