Hey advanced group riders

unclepaulie

Are there any of you that run street/trackday tires when the temps are going to be cooler?
Say when the temps are only going to be in the 60's for the high. Just trying to figure out if this would be a good option in the spring and late fall. When its really chilly in the A.M. and the temps only reach 60 or so. Thanks for any feedback

dlockhart5x

Yep. I have a set of plain old Diablo street tires for just such a occasion. (cold, cloudy, damp, ugly days) They also fit the too dry for rains and too wet for slicks nitch. The other plus is they are not that expensive. I'll probably be using Rossos in this application this season.

unclepaulie

Thanks lockhart. Where do you draw the line for whats too cool to waste a good set of race dot's and whats too hot for hypersport tires? 60-65 degrees and below = hypersport tires and anything above good enought to bust out the race tires?? This is all of course given that it's an advanced pace. Thanks again.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I don't use a street tire ever. I've used SC Pro's almost exclusively. They have been on the track at 30 degree and 104 degrees. When you're riding in colder weather, typically your speeds are slower as well. The key is to read what your tires are telling you. After a track session look at the wear on the tires and make adjustments accordingly. They may be mechanical adjustments or riding technique adjustments. I'd rather take it down a notch on a colder morning and save my tires for the warmer afternoon any day. I also have rains for when it's wet. But I've only used them once since the beginning of last year. Now that is some fun riding!

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Hey Big Jim! Thats some good advice. Trust me when I tell you folks that Big Jim KNOWS not to give the bike too much throttle when its cold out there!:doh::adore:

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I should have reached up and yanked you down had I known you were going to throw that back in my face as much as you have. I think I'm going to have to take back my epoxy from your windshield! :rolleyes:

Matt H

Well the DCIII is street/track tire, and I've run it not only when it is cold, but also in the middle of the summer. So they are always a viable option. If you are looking at it from the standpoint of it being too cold for a race tire, well as said before you need to listen to your tires. I've run slicks in the wet at 40 degrees (NOT the best option, but just that it doesn't inherently cause you to crash or anything) - you've just got to feel things out. For me (personal opinion), I like it to be high 50's/about 60 degrees and dry before I feel like really pushing a tire at all. Below about 60 degrees, I don't feel like I'm pushing a tire nearly enough (nor is the track nearly hot enough) to make the DCIII start to over work; nor am I pushing a tire enough to use the kind of extra grip a race tire provides. You can run anything at anytime though.

dlockhart5x

unclepaulie;40421 wrote: Thanks lockhart. Where do you draw the line for whats too cool to waste a good set of race dot's and whats too hot for hypersport tires? 60-65 degrees and below = hypersport tires and anything above good enought to bust out the race tires?? This is all of course given that it's an advanced pace. Thanks again.
60 degrees and sunny is a lot different than overcast, 60 or less, and intermittent drizzle.

I started carrying the "street/track day" tires with me after riding at Freddys with Wink when it was snowing and in the 30's in Las Vegas. The tires on the school bikes worked remarkably well.

I have seen some of our tallented CRs go darn fast on the "wrong" tires and CR Wink can often be seen on bits of steel cord that have some rubber on them.

You need to decide that "crossover" point, just like deciding when to go to rains.

See the 2 bike thread, if a weekend is looking sketchy, you can set-up your second bike ahead of time.

ta2kutz

heck i know im slow but i run dc3's only.
still get them for 260 a set so i think ill stick with them