How do you get thru winter!?

Eddie

Hey Guys!

Did my first ever track sessions (Intro Group), at summit this past September. What a great group of people to meet. Everyone was super helpful, welcoming, and seemed to understand how nervous and intimidating this day can be. Les ('ol beat up kawasaki mahn!) even lent a few tools and advice before we even got through tech. The morning was a bit damp, but it was still a memorable time. I had a blast.
Since then, I've been driving my family crazy I think, they're tired of me talking about it! I just can't wait to do an entire track day for the first time. I've been acquiring some new gear, putting new bits on the bike, learning how to safety wire, watching videos, etc., etc. I've even taken the bike out to a secluded parking lot just to do some turns. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Come on April 3rd!!

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Glad you had a great time and memorable experience, Eddie. There is no easy way to get through winter, but dirt bikes and mountain bikes help a bit. See you out there next year!

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Welcome to the addictiono_O I totally get how you feel. My wife got me a track day for my birthday last year. In hopes that I would get it out of my system. Let's just say she was wrong, again. I spend my winter time with a calendar. I write down every track day on its date, the location and time/distance from me. Then I go back to see what dates I can make considering the time it would take to get there and making sure I don't have anything else on or near those dates. Also think back to the first time you came to the track and think of all the things you needed but didn't have with you so next time you will be more prepared. I'm just new to this too, but I would suggest a simple tool kit that contains all the bits you might need to do some work on your bike. A pop up canopy for shade and a couple of folding chairs. Also I recommend water. Good drinking water is very important. I bring a couple of gallons with me when I go. I get the jugs right off of the grocery store shelf and leave them in the shade of my canopy so I will drink more between sessions. One final thing I wouldn't practice too much by myself. Without the trained eye of a CR to help point your mistakes you might end up teaching yourself a bad habit. Not saying that you will, just something to think about. And finally read the rider manual it will answer most questions you might have.

prplppleatr239

Saving $$$ or paying down credit card bills, whichever applies.

Also work on fitness. Anything is better than nothing as far as exercise goes, but you'll have a much better experience if you're in good shape.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Hey Guys!

Did my first ever track sessions (Intro Group), at summit this past September. What a great group of people to meet. Everyone was super helpful, welcoming, and seemed to understand how nervous and intimidating this day can be. Les ('ol beat up kawasaki mahn!) even lent a few tools and advice before we even got through tech. The morning was a bit damp, but it was still a memorable time. I had a blast.
Since then, I've been driving my family crazy I think, they're tired of me talking about it! I just can't wait to do an entire track day for the first time. I've been acquiring some new gear, putting new bits on the bike, learning how to safety wire, watching videos, etc., etc. I've even taken the bike out to a secluded parking lot just to do some turns. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Come on April 3rd!!

Prep the bike for the following spring, hoard every penny you can so you can do more track days, and watch your old gopro videos from the previous year! You got a special case though, I'd be losing my mind if I only got a taste of the track right before the season ended. Luckily for me, I started riding on one of the first TD's in the spring time so after my first weekend, I just went home and signed up for more later in the month!

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Something that most of you should do is go over your bike. I took the last couple weekends and took my bike down to the frame and engine. I have taken everything apart and cleaned everywhere. This is the first time that I have gone this far since I bought the bike in 2007. I've gone as far as rebuilding the calipers, new wheel bearings, new chain & sprockets, new head bearings, new swingarm bearings, greased everything in sight, new fluids everywhere and even replaced my subframe. Upon taking it off, I found out that it was tweaked to the side and one of the mounts had broken off. I probably would not have seen this without taking things apart.

And don't forget about maintaining your trailer as well. I plan on cleaning and greasing the wheel bearings and going over the whole trailer just to make sure it's in tip-top shape.

Motofun352

Control Rider
This may be counter intuitive but try not to get in so deep that you get burned out. Me, I ski race in the winter. Lots of parallels to MC like apexes, leaning plus the speed thrill. I imagine mountain biking would be similar, it just never hit my radar screen.
Plus 1 to what Jim said. Get all the big maintenance done when you're not in a rush so as to avoid stupid mistakes.