How dumb would it be to do a track day on Pilot Roads

Alpine 318is

Little background on me and my track experience.

I did 2 nesba days back in Seattle Washington on a 1991 FZR 600 both in the B group.

I since have moved to Philly for school and have purchased a a 2003 Suzuki GSX-R 600 and signed up for NJMP on May 15th. Here is the kicker. The Gixxer has pretty much brand new pilot roads on them. Now I would prefer to be out on the track with a more race oriented tire like a diablo or a power or a dunlop qualifier but i cant justify dropping $400 + for tires and install.

I'm not trying to go out there and rip out like Valentino Rossi at Mugello but Im also trying to have a good time without having poor tires slow me down.

Any advice would be great. Or any questions about my ridding ability and experience feel free to ask.

Thanks guys,

Seppi

Jiggy

Control Rider
This would all depend on your pace. Those Pilot Roads are designed for temps under 170degrees, anything above that and it starts to get slick(referencing how slick my PP 2CTs got at Jefferson after I left them on my R6 right after purchase :doh:). If you are running warmers and can maintain a mid-I group pace, I'd recommend pulling the roads and selling them so that you could have some money for a more suitable track tire. If you are running a slower pace, they might just last a weekend or two. :dunno:

Alpine 318is

Jiggy;48069 wrote: . If you are running warmers and can maintain a mid-I group pace, I'd recommend pulling the roads and selling them so that you could have some money for a more suitable track tire. If you are running a slower pace, they might just last a weekend or two.
No warmers, Mid-upper B-group

Jiggy

Control Rider
If you think you will continue to mentally question the performance of your tires while on the track, I'd say make the move to a new track tire or take-off. That way you could focus on bettering your riding ability rather than thinking you are being held back by questionable road tires being used on the track.

Me personally, I'd say run 'em at that pace..... but bring enough money for Moon to swap them out at lunch if you still are mentally questioning your tires during the morning sessions.

Alpine 318is

Jiggy;48076 wrote: If you think you will continue to mentally question the performance of your tires while on the track, I'd say make the move to a new track tire or take-off. That way you could focus on bettering your riding ability rather than thinking you are being held back by questionable road tires being used on the track.

Me personally, I'd say run 'em at that pace..... but bring enough money for Moon to swap them out at lunch if you still are mentally questioning your tires during the morning sessions.
But I dont have the tools nor the skills to take my wheels off, wouldn't that both jack up the price and the time to get that done?

Jiggy

Control Rider
If you can ride a motorcyle, I believe you possess the skill to change your tires. If you are in my region, I can give you a crash course at an event. As for the tools, you'd need front and rear stands. The rest of tools you could find available from almost everyone in the pits. If you get up to the track the night before, you could borrow my stands and pull your tires off so that you can be first in line once the Nesba trailer opens up in the morning. It is probably cheaper to be a heroin addict then provision your garage/trailer with track tools, so good look with your addiction path. If you are looking to pick up some stands, keep your eyes on the Parts section here and check out some other forums for deals during the day( WERA,CCS,GSXR sites,ect).

Motofun352

Control Rider
Just as a counter point. I used to ride the pilot roads on my '00 R1. Did maybe a thousand road miles and my first trackday (at JC ). They worked allright for me then. I wouldn't dream of going back to them now, however.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Alpine 318is;48077 wrote: But I dont have the tools nor the skills to take my wheels off, wouldn't that both jack up the price and the time to get that done?
As Jiggy said, folks will help, NESBA's like that! However, if you plan on continuing with trackdays, making it the addictive hobby the rest of us have, it would be good for you to learn to do the basics on your bike. Get front and rear stands, and a decent set of tools (Craftsman, etc.) Find out all the socket sizes you'll need, a basic socket set will work, then buy the larger ones you'll need for your larger axle bolts separately. Get some waterproof grease to lube the axles. Also important, get the service manual for your bike.

Things for you to learn at minimum: Oil/filter change, wheel removal/replacement, brake bleeding, brake pad replacement, chain adjustment, coolant replacement.

Get someone to help you at first, especially with the brakes!

You'll save a lot of $$$ doing these few things yourself, and it's always good to learn about your bike.

:)

tcontradiction

I agree with doing things yourself.

If you take the tires off yourself and give them to the guy at the track it will cost you less then three hundred dollars.

I replaced both tires and the front brakes, it took less then a hour including getting the tires balanced.

DO NOT BUY THE BRAKES AT THE TRACK. Both tires cost me 277 (Dunlop Qualifiers) A set of front brakes was a hundred. Buy the brakes before you get to the track... You will need a front lift a back lift and the tool pouch that came with your bike, and a cotter pin.

Alpine 318is;48063 wrote: Little background on me and my track experience.

I did 2 nesba days back in Seattle Washington on a 1991 FZR 600 both in the B group.

I since have moved to Philly for school and have purchased a a 2003 Suzuki GSX-R 600 and signed up for NJMP on May 15th. Here is the kicker. The Gixxer has pretty much brand new pilot roads on them. Now I would prefer to be out on the track with a more race oriented tire like a diablo or a power or a dunlop qualifier but i cant justify dropping $400 + for tires and install.

I'm not trying to go out there and rip out like Valentino Rossi at Mugello but Im also trying to have a good time without having poor tires slow me down.

Any advice would be great. Or any questions about my ridding ability and experience feel free to ask.

Thanks guys,

Seppi
IMO you will be on a 'new to you track' and you are not out to set some B group lap record, then just use the Pilot Roads.

My first track day my bike had Metzler Z6's on it. They worked fine. The most important thing, as you probably know, is being smooth and consistant. I was actually suprised how well they worked. I ran 29 psi in the front and 30 psi in the rear at the time.

Melt the Piolet Roads off on the 15th and save yo nickels for for another set of tires.

My 2 cents.

BZ

Pascal

I believe the pilot road is a sport touring tire (correct me if I'm wrong). It's not "the best" - then again, few people can take advantage of "the best". I have worked with quite a few folks in B that were running sport touring tires and the last worry they had was tires. At the pace you will be riding these tires will be just fine, down the road if you plan to do more days or engage in more spirited track riding a tire like the qualifier will be a good fit - you don't need warmers and you can double them on the street.

If you are in the B group you should be working on lines, smoothness, form, throttle/brake control, etc.

There were some comments on brakes - not all brake pads are the same - again, it depends on what you are looking for in your brake pads. NESBA sells VESRAH pads which are absolutely stellar brake pads. Can you find cheaper? sure, but (in my opinion) few pads can compete with the feel and performance of the VESRAH Pads.

kd83

I think you will be fine on the pilot roads, people ride Pilot powers up into A group so you should be able to run a quick B pace and still have plenty of traction out of those tires.

Alpine 318is

First of, thank you guys for the quick respones and the good info.

HondaGalToo;48096 wrote: Get front and rear stands, and a decent set of tools (Craftsman, etc.) Find out all the socket sizes you'll need, a basic socket set will work, Also important, get the service manual for your bike.

Things for you to learn at minimum: Oil/filter change, wheel removal/replacement, brake bleeding, brake pad replacement, chain adjustment, coolant replacement.

I have a rear stand and service manual. I can and have done oil and filter change and coolant replacement. Also replaced the stator cover but that was easy.

Pascal;48122 wrote:

If you are in the B group you should be working on lines, smoothness, form, throttle/brake control, etc.
What I understand about race takeoffs is they have already been through a few heat cycles and will I even be able to bring them back up to heat in the B group? Then I'm suck buying brand new tires. I've only signed up for one track day for a reason. As much as I love the track I don't really have the time this summer as I am still in school to do more than one track day. I'm just trying to go out there, get a quick fix, learn about my new bike, have fun and be safe by "taking it to the track." Not set land speed records or try to get into hardcore trackdays/racing. That will all come in good time. So I guess my real question is will the road be ok with this or will the throw me if i try to push it past 20 degrees.

track4me

I ran 3 track days in "B" group on my Ducati Monster 1000 @ beaver and 1 day at Nelson and never once had a problem with them. Not the track day tire of choice but for "B" group I think you will be fine. Like others have said, you will be working on lines and consistency so these tires "should" work fine for you. As you progress or when the $$$ allows you can upgrade your rubber!!!!

arshishb

I ran 3 track days last year on the same set of Pirelli Diablo stradas which are similar to the Pilot Roads; they are sport touring tires. Being in the B group, I had no issues with them on my FZ1. You should be fine, unless your skill levels are really high & you will outclass the entire B group :D

meanstrk

Control Rider
I ran A group with my son's SV 650 with Stradas once when I low sided my bike on cold tires. I was amazed at how well they did. Stradas are also my tire of choice on my Aprilia.

Would I do it again? Under the same circumstances, yes. In a heartbeat.

Running PR's in B group? No hesitation.

rk97

Pascal;48122 wrote: I believe the pilot road is a sport touring tire (correct me if I'm wrong). It's not "the best" - then again, few people can take advantage of "the best". I have worked with quite a few folks in B that were running sport touring tires and the last worry they had was tires.
I would be one of those people :) I had Bridgestone BT-45's on my EX500 for my first 5 trackdays, and the tires were more capable than I was. Granted, my bike had much lower limits than a 2003 GSX-R 600.

if you can afford it, pick up a set of qualifiers for cheap, and bring them with you. If the PR's give you a problem, swap 'em. If not, you've got your next set of tires already purchased. The PR's will wear out eventually.

kd83

As long as they have plenty of tread on them, i highly doubt they would say they are not capable of running the track.