I Video from Barber 9-10 Nov

pje01

Welcome to a thread ofIntermediate videos from the 9-10 Nov '13 weekend at BMP.

My contribution is from the 3rd session on Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFvWW7d8fVo

Me terrorizing the "I" group passing everyone until some dude flies by me going into the first kink on the back straight (about m 12:30); thus, biting my style as the I-group fast guy. Then, when this dude exits the track, he seemed to be gesturing at me in some weird way. Turns out it was NESBA SE Director John Allen without his control rider shirt on. He seemed to be doing one of those undercover patrols like DJ does. I don't often compliment other men, but when I do it regards their excellent lines, style, and smoothness.
Also, thanks to J.R. for coaching me on Sunday. Again, great yet simple advice that brought me closer to my personal best lap time.
Looking forward to next year.

pje01

z064life;294231 wrote: Be careful on the "terrorizing" I group.

I just started watching and you have a bad pass at 1:24 already.
Fair enough on the "terrorizing". It might not be evident to everyone (including the NSA) that I'm kidding. I try to be a good citizen and follow the rules out there. I certainly have no interest in scaring or contacting the other riders! Re: the pass: my bad; during the riders meeting I thought we agreed passing under power coming out of a turn was kosher in both B and I groups.
Regardless thanks for the feed back and for watching.

z064life

pje01;294235 wrote: Fair enough on the "terrorizing". It might not be evident to everyone (including the NSA) that I'm kidding. I try to be a good citizen and follow the rules out there. I certainly have no interest in scaring or contacting the other riders! Re: the pass: my bad; during the riders meeting I thought we agreed passing under power coming out of a turn was kosher in both B and I groups.
Regardless thanks for the feed back and for watching.
I'll let a CR chime in...it's been a bit since I've ridden in I group so maybe that has changed? You can take them on the inside once the bike is fully stood up. You have to time the pass as you will already be initiating a pass like that in the corner and time it so just as they stand it up you go around. You did it several times throughout the video correctly. A few were close but I wouldn't say they were inside passes...the 1st one I wouldn't think is kosher, but again....I'll let a CR decide that one as I don't know if rules have changed.

Overall good riding, just make sure you follow the rules so you can get to A and really start to learn

Backmarker

Control Rider
Why are you using your clutch to up shift ?

Have you tried speed shifting by pre loading the shifter
and cracking the throttle. ?

andykurz

Pass seemed fine to me, passing on the inside on exit has always been acceptable. Plus, it wasn't close. Same thing happens at 1:40.

z064life

andykurz;294240 wrote: Pass seemed fine to me, passing on the inside on exit has always been acceptable. Plus, it wasn't close. Same thing happens at 1:40.
Wish I had known that back when I was in I.....inside after the apex would have made passing a lot easier

At 1:40 the other bike was upright as he went around though...not the same as the 1:24 pass

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
z064life;294243 wrote: Wish I had known that back when I was in I.....inside after the apex would have made passing a lot easier

At 1:40 the other bike was upright as he went around though...not the same as the 1:24 pass

If the dude (Or dudette) is still leaned over, after the apex, it's still considered an inside pass, which is a no-go for "I" group.

The bike has to be straight up and down to pass, unless you're in "I" group and passing on the outside

Just wanted to clear that up, don't want anyone reading that the wrong way.

z064life

Otto Man;294247 wrote: If the dude (Or dudette) is still leaned over, after the apex, it's still considered an inside pass, which is a no-go for "I" group.

The bike has to be straight up and down to pass, unless you're in "I" group and passing on the outside

Just wanted to clear that up, don't want anyone reading that the wrong way.
That's what I thought.....clearly there are some that still dont understand that

the only exception is when the other bike is pitting in (at barber) per the riders meeting

TeamBeer

I thought I heard them say passing on the inside after the apex was ok, too. Exiting T5 gets to be a real traffic jam if you can't.

rxpusher

I remember during the riders meeting that passing under power coming out of a turn on the inside, post-apex, is okay. I also think it's the safer way to pass coming out of the turn cause if the rider being passed drifts out from the apex, the passing rider can get pinched. Anyways, here's my vid from day 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_hvZwxMBAw

mastermind

9mmkungfu;294331 wrote: p.s. that was John Allen that passed.
A good director does that. I always go out under-cover in various groups at our events. :D

I also send instructors out under-cover with no vests.

t