In the event of cancellation?

DethWshBkr

So at this point I am signed up for Summit Point Main on May 3rd.

What happens if the weather does not cooperate and it is canceled?
I understand completely that if I would cancel I lose the registration fee. But my question is what happens if it has to be postponed due to weather? I am not a member of N2, so I'm just curious to know what happens if it gets postponed or canceled for some reason.

Thank you!

bmart

Control Rider
Some of my most memorable/fun track days have been in the rain. One really has to focus on being smooth, having good body position, and being courteous.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yup, they run in the rain. They may shut down briefly if it's lightning out. It's really rare for an event to be canceled due to weather. The only ones I can remember were during Hurricane Sandy.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Like the others said, it's extremely rare for an event to get outright cancelled. Off hand I can only remember one track day where the entire day was cancelled. It was a few years ago at NCBIKE and it rained, in buckets, the night prior and literally did not let up for like 12+ hours straight. Everything was flooded. It was absolutely nuts.

That said, 99.5% of the time that's not the case and we roll rain or shine (excluding lightning, but even then that's usually temporary).

mpusch

Micah
Yup, they run in the rain. They may shut down briefly if it's lightning out. It's really rare for an event to be canceled due to weather. The only ones I can remember were during Hurricane Sandy.

That's the only one I've ever been involved with too. I think the Saturday was cancelled, but we still ran on Sunday, or something like that. There was lakes of rain all over the place. The pit in line to avoid the pond was like a foot wide.

To the OP, the more you run track days, the more you'll bump into weather. Some people skip it, some people enjoy it, most are in between. If you're just starting the sport, I recommend generally keeping things simple. That said...if you eventually get a second set of rims and rain tires it will really change your experience out on track. They're pretty incredible.

Also, I recommend not skipping out on making a drive for the weather forecast. I cannot tell you how many times attendance has been light because people weather watched and it turned out awesome or just rained a session or two.

Poper

May 2018 PittRace: it rained 3 times on a Saturday and I didn’t miss a session (on slicks). 75* and spotty thunderstorms...showered a little then burned off.

Coming up on 15 years at the track you learn: Go and be rewarded.

DethWshBkr

Gotta admit - riding track in the rain is unsettling. Some of my favorite rides or races of all time were when it was raining (when I raced motocross) but that's dirt, not asphalt.
Not a huge fan of riding on wet pavement even on the street. I don't trust the tires to be honest. I don't mind getting the proper equipment to make it the best experience as I'm planning on doing this more and more. But, I also don't want to be the 1st timer out there on all the equipment just putzing around!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I get it, I don't like riding in the rain either. But, if you have an elite membership, you can cancel up till I think 8 am the morning of.

meanstrk

Control Rider
Only seen three cancellations in my life. Snow at Barber. Flooding at Jennings, and the hurricane issue, which was an obvious issue. Beyond that, it’s up to you if you want to ride or not. I keep rain tires mounted on a spare set of wheels.

Poper

Gotta admit - riding track in the rain is unsettling. Some of my favorite rides or races of all time were when it was raining (when I raced motocross) but that's dirt, not asphalt.
Not a huge fan of riding on wet pavement even on the street. I don't trust the tires to be honest. I don't mind getting the proper equipment to make it the best experience as I'm planning on doing this more and more. But, I also don't want to be the 1st timer out there on all the equipment just putzing around!

Spoon on some new Pirelli full rain tires and enjoy knee-down in some atrocious conditions. I did just that at the July Pitt of last year with N2...so much confidence. I was most impressed with the front tire under breaking...rock solid with great feedback.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Don't worry about being the 1st timer putzing around. Literally EVERY SINGLE person started out just like you. I remember my first time riding track in the rain. It was unsettling as you described. However lap after lap the confidence increased and I learned that you can have a lot of fun out there in the rain. Then I tried a set of rains once.......holy crap those things are amazing. Even a good set of street tires like Q3's are good in the wet. Different tracks offer different levels of grip as well. NC Bike is crazy good wet. NJMP is not.

Motofun352

Control Rider
The only thing I can add is to follow the rain tire pressure requirements.........low pressures are not the way to go (except to the hospital)!