Installing clutch-side grip on aftermarket clipons

yokel84

So, apparently I'm too inept to figure out how to install soft-compound renthal grips onto my woodcraft clipons.

Before I gave up completely and threw away all of my tools, I figured I'd ask you guys.

The throttle side was no problem to stretch over the throttle tube with hairspray and a little persuasion, but the clutch side grip seems too much lager than the clipon tube to ever work. Is there supposed to be something else between the grip and the clipon? Do I need a different size grip for that side?

Thanks,

Yokel

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
I u secompressed air. It'll take you 5 seconds to get it on there.

mmmfishrighton

Control Rider
The throttle side and the clutch side grips are different diameters. Throttle side has a bigger internal diameter because of the throttle tube and the clutch side just goes over the 7/8" bar.

If the grips are the same, then you have the wrong grips.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Too large? Sounds like you may have put the clutch side on the throttle tube? One grip has a larger opening, that one goes on the throttle side. That being said, the only grips I had to use grip glue on were the Renthal soft (light gray) grips. Hairspray wouldn't hold them securely, especially the clutch side.

yokel84

Thanks y'all. I'll examine the grips I've got when I get home, but it appears likely I have brilliantly either:

A - put the clutch side grip on the throttle side or

B - gotten the wrong grips

If the clutch side grip is supposed to go right on the bare clipon tube it'll also be a much smaller diameter grip than I'm used to on my old bike's stock clipons.

yohoho

yokel84;297356 wrote: Thanks y'all. I'll examine the grips I've got when I get home, but it appears likely I have brilliantly either:

A - put the clutch side grip on the throttle side or

B - gotten the wrong grips

If the clutch side grip is supposed to go right on the bare clipon tube it'll also be a much smaller diameter grip than I'm used to on my old bike's stock clipons.
I did the same thing on my first time with clipons... grabbed the package and stuffed the grip on throttle (oops it was clutch side)...

At least you will have extra throttle side grips once you buy a new pack. I just left clutch side on throttle until it wore out...and replaced with the extra throttle I now had. Good luck with install!

yokel84

Thanks for the tips. Embarrassingly, I don't have an air compressor; luckily, however, using too little force is rarely a problem I run into with bike mechanics

andykurz

I bet a can of duster spray compressed air would work too. You don't need much. I'm not sure how much they cost but I doubt it is much.

Just don't put some chemical under your grip that slides off on a hot day.