Intermediate and Not Riding Track-only Bike?

Laszlo

Howdy all,

curious about thoughts on this: I'm in Novice, and whenever I get to Intermediate (be that this year or 10 years from now I don't care as long as I'm learning and having fun), is there anyone in Intermediate who does not have track-only bike? I'd like to avoid having a dedicated bike if I can. I get the pro's and con's (e.g., worried about crashing bike, etc., which is actually my 3rd worry; 1st=don't get injured, 2nd=avoid conversation with lovely spouse who is fine w/ me doing this and on whom I don't want to be an injured burden on), and had same line of thinking when I autocrossed and track-day'd my '90 Miata (which eventually crept into being a track-only car...).

So, to the degree that what others do is helpful, and it is since we're all in a community and function within the broad parameters of it, I'm curious how many have a bike that may spend most its life on a track, but is still taped over for track days.

Thanks!
Laz

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
While not our only bike, many of us have street bikes in addition to our track bikes that we ride on the track.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Hey Laz.
Always remember the formula for calculating the correct number of motorcycles to own: n+1.

You can’t go wrong having a track only bike which you keep in track trim. So get something you’re comfortable on. As far as riding group or your pace, you can take pretty much any bike into the Advanced group as long as you’ve got the talent, which you’ve got since you’re investing in yourself with training.

Just keep having fun and get all of the seat time. :)

bmart

Control Rider
is there anyone in Intermediate who does not have track-only bike?
I used my street bike(s) for track time for a decade or more before commiting to a track only bike. VTR250, multiple CB-1s and FJ1200s, VFR800, and more. It is great to understand your street bike to grow your envelope on the street. You've highlighted some of the trade-offs though. I would not ride my street bike as hard as I ride my track only bikes. This may limit the extent of your learning curve. It did for me. That little voice was always in the back of my mind.

There are a lot of ways to get an inexpensive track bike. Still, that may not solve a garage space or spouse problem. :) Unsolicited advice: use a track only bike if you can. Something older like my bikes (20 years old now) gets the job done just fine. CBR600, SV650, R6, 636...there are almost endless choices.

And as far as the groups goes, I rode my street bikes in advance and intermediate, as well as novice.

Another solution for you may be adding track plastics and bringing spares like levers/pedals/wheels-tires. I did this, and it ended up pushing me to track only. The work to change it back and forth quickly became difficult to find time for with the number of track days I was doing...mountain runs between them.

I hope that this is helpful.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I had a bike that did double duty well into my Intermediate group days - a 2001 Honda CBR 929. I used hypersport street tires, no warmers. I finally got a track-only bike.

bwilson7990

I rode my SV650 and SV1000 as full street bikes, unplugged and taped lights, removed mirrors etc. for 20+ track days; most in I group. Things I would suggest a street bike might not have that you'd want for the track are a steering stabilizer, non-folding rearsets, and a brake guard. It's completely doable just some extra work every time switching between street and track modes. That got annoying quick.

In 1968, the Beatles went to India seeking enlightenment from the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

If @Laszlo can pull off track days without giving in to the purchase of a dedicated track bike, then screw the incense, flowy garments and sitar music because I’ll be seeking him for my enlightenment.

Accomplishing that is some next level spiritual harmony thing.

< cue tabla drums >

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
This (below) -- all of this -- from @bmart. And we haven't even touched on bike transport. But, in any case, if you start doing enough track days, you'll appreciate having a track-only bike that is more durable and ready to go when the mood hits you.
I used my street bike(s) for track time for a decade or more before commiting to a track only bike. VTR250, multiple CB-1s and FJ1200s, VFR800, and more. It is great to understand your street bike to grow your envelope on the street. You've highlighted some of the trade-offs though. I would not ride my street bike as hard as I ride my track only bikes. This may limit the extent of your learning curve. It did for me. That little voice was always in the back of my mind.

There are a lot of ways to get an inexpensive track bike. Still, that may not solve a garage space or spouse problem. :) Unsolicited advice: use a track only bike if you can. Something older like my bikes (20 years old now) gets the job done just fine. CBR600, SV650, R6, 636...there are almost endless choices.

And as far as the groups goes, I rode my street bikes in advance and intermediate, as well as novice.

Another solution for you may be adding track plastics and bringing spares like levers/pedals/wheels-tires. I did this, and it ended up pushing me to track only. The work to change it back and forth quickly became difficult to find time for with the number of track days I was doing...mountain runs between them.

I hope that this is helpful.

Last edited:

Laszlo

Witty and wisdom in all these responses; priceless as the old MC commercials used to note:) Thanks all….I’ll see how this year goes for me and maybe it’ll be time to sell the Africa Twin next year and convert the $ to some sort of track bike.