Introducing myself/trying to start tracking

mugenej8power

I've lurked for a while, and finally decided to start my introduction thread. My name is Nick, and I currently ride a 2007 GSXR 600. It is a awesome bike, and I love every moment of being on it. I want to get away from the street though. It's just too unpredictable, and I don't find it much fun anymore. I want to get on the track and find the real potential of the bike. Plus track days look like a blast! Also, I'd like to meet and ride with other people who have the same passion for motorcycles as I do.

I planned on joining NESBA for the 2009 season, but I don't have a truck or trailer. So if anyone ever going to VIR, Summit, etc. and has extra room on the trailer let me know. I'm willing to split paying for gas or whatever else. I've read the rulebook and plan on safety wiring the bike sometime soon.

So thanks everyone at NESBA for putting up this awesome site, and hopefully next season I will get to meet some friendly people from the site.

BTW I am located in central Virginia.

squirrel211

Get out while you still can!!!!!:D

Welcome bro. Get some bodywork for your bike, get springs and valves for your forks and shock, and come have some fun!!! Don't skimp on tires.

mugenej8power

I'm a newbie here. What kind of springs and valves should I get for the forks? Is there anyone on site at the track that does suspension set up there? I've tried looking online at all the articles, but I don't trust myself to mess with it.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

greytop

You'll be fine with what ya got suspension wise for your first few days, possibly many more depending on your weight.

Many of us can help you setting your sag. Just doing that would be a good start on the suspension.

Post up here when you sign up for your first day and ask for help. I'm sure someone will offer a hand getting you ready to go..I can help ya set your sag and if I'm at your first date, I'll be glad to do it with you..

Welcome!!!

squirrel211

mugenej8power;9594 wrote: I'm a newbie here. What kind of springs and valves should I get for the forks? Is there anyone on site at the track that does suspension set up there? I've tried looking online at all the articles, but I don't trust myself to mess with it.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I'm sure there are closer places, but I get all my stuff from Bob Michael at B&E Motorsports in Queenstown, MD. He is super cool, an Expert racer with CCS (#4 Overall MA Region expert last year) and knows his stuff. You can get springs and valves from Race Tech (www.racetech.com) they have a spring calculator but it isn't always accurate. Or you can go to Penske, or Ohlins to try and get springs also. The fork springs and valves can be tricky to install, and sometimes you need special tools.

Give Bob a call at (410) 827-3792 on Thursday or Friday, he is at Miller Motorsports Park for the RC-8 intro right now, and he can help you. He raced your bike last year and the year before, so he knows it very well. We (there are 5 of us that race out of his shop) are going to be at Summit Point racing on the 5th-7th of Sept, the same weekend NESBA is at Jefferson. Sign up, and come over Saturday night, after the track day and say Hi.

mugenej8power

greytop;9597 wrote: You'll be fine with what ya got suspension wise for your first few days, possibly many more depending on your weight.

Many of us can help you setting your sag. Just doing that would be a good start on the suspension.

Post up here when you sign up for your first day and ask for help. I'm sure someone will offer a hand getting you ready to go..I can help ya set your sag and if I'm at your first date, I'll be glad to do it with you..

Welcome!!!
Thanks man I would appreciate that. I would love to get the bike dialed in to my weight.

Pascal;9599 wrote:
Welcome! You are going to have a blast out here! Your bike stock is great - no need to get carried away with mods. Invite two friends over and get your sag set - Some of teh CRs should be able to get your clickers dialed in for you. Stay open minded, ask lots of questions - and most importantly HAVE FUN!

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_geek/index.html
Thanks man. Yeah, with the article it doesn't seem like it is too hard. I may have to give that a go this weekend. How much of a difference does the static sag or sag actually make compared to a bike that isn't set up?

squirrel211;9608 wrote:
I'm sure there are closer places, but I get all my stuff from Bob Michael at B&E Motorsports in Queenstown, MD. He is super cool, an Expert racer with CCS (#4 Overall MA Region expert last year) and knows his stuff. You can get springs and valves from Race Tech (www.racetech.com) they have a spring calculator but it isn't always accurate. Or you can go to Penske, or Ohlins to try and get springs also. The fork springs and valves can be tricky to install, and sometimes you need special tools.

Give Bob a call at (410) 827-3792 on Thursday or Friday, he is at Miller Motorsports Park for the RC-8 intro right now, and he can help you. He raced your bike last year and the year before, so he knows it very well. We (there are 5 of us that race out of his shop) are going to be at Summit Point racing on the 5th-7th of Sept, the same weekend NESBA is at Jefferson. Sign up, and come over Saturday night, after the track day and say Hi.
MD is just to the north so it's not too bad. I'll have to give him a call and find out some information. I'd love to come up to Summit and meet everyone, but remember.... I have no truck or trailer to get the bike up there. :( Lol. Are there usually a lot of intro level riders at track days?

Pascal

mugenej8power;9620 wrote: Thanks man. Yeah, with the article it doesn't seem like it is too hard. I may have to give that a go this weekend. How much of a difference does the static sag or sag actually make compared to a bike that isn't set up?
night and day! Suspension is uber important to a well handling bike. static sag is the first step. It will help identify if the spring rates are good for YOU and that bike.

The better the bike handles the more confident you will be and the more attention you will be able to place on riding effectively!

squirrel211

mugenej8power;9620 wrote: Thanks man I would appreciate that. I would love to get the bike dialed in to my weight.

Thanks man. Yeah, with the article it doesn't seem like it is too hard. I may have to give that a go this weekend. How much of a difference does the static sag or sag actually make compared to a bike that isn't set up?

MD is just to the north so it's not too bad. I'll have to give him a call and find out some information. I'd love to come up to Summit and meet everyone
, but remember.... I have no truck or trailer to get the bike up there. :( Lol. Are there usually a lot of intro level riders at track days?

Then ride your bike up and hang out!!! There is an intro class, where you can go around the track a few times and see what it feels like, but I don't think they'll let you push very much (if at all) so you won't be crashing. You'll get to meet some people, learn how the day goes (where to tech, what the riders' meeting is like, etc) watch some people out on the track, and you could still come over to Main and watch some racing!!!!! Plus, the side cars are there that weekend, along with ASRA; that's worth the price of admission to see the sidecar monkeys hanging out of the bikes!! Plus you'll get to see Jensen, Wood and a Beimisderfer light the place on fire.

No excuses, you're coming up that weekend!:mad: Bring (wear) your gear and a roll of painter's tape....

:D

riddler

You hit the nail on the head with this addiction. Riding a known surface without cages and speed limits is a blast. Then the inherent joy of sharing the addiction with your fellow riders is icing on the cake.

I agree with much of what has been said. Don't skimp on tires and suspension. Get someone experienced to set up your stock suspension at first (especially if it gets you out this year rather than waiting). Then over the winter get the springs and valves done, then get the suspension set up again. I think it is best to get help with suspension setup at first. Prior to having trackside support set up my bike, I had played around and made a mess of things. It is good to start with a setup from a pro and record the settings... then you can make adjustments from there and always go back to a solid start point if you don't like the outcome.

I have been doing this for a long time, and I got serious a couple of years ago and finally spent money on suspension, and the resultant confidence and speed was simply incredible.

Travrsx

welcome man! you are from CRSX right? you can get a really light trailer that will hold a sportbike and just about any car can tow something like that... no excuses!!! I saw a Honda FIT at NJMP a few weeks back towing a bike!

littlelady

Hello fellow Virginian!
I am also a newbie and will be hitting the track for the first time in the introduction ride sept 6th at summit----I don't have a car or truck (i'm trying to get a cheapo truck soon hopefully)

what part of virginia?

mugenej8power

Travrsx;10053 wrote: welcome man! you are from CRSX right? you can get a really light trailer that will hold a sportbike and just about any car can tow something like that... no excuses!!! I saw a Honda FIT at NJMP a few weeks back towing a bike!
Yep! Fellow CRSX'er here! :D What's your name on there? I've been looking at trailer hitches for my car letely. I'm just worried it will strain my little 1.6 Civic. Lol.

kimmiegrews;10291 wrote:
Hello fellow Virginian!
I am also a newbie and will be hitting the track for the first time in the introduction ride sept 6th at summit----I don't have a car or truck (i'm trying to get a cheapo truck soon hopefully)

what part of virginia?
Nice to meet a fellow Virginian! I'm located on the Goochland/Henrico county line.

fastfatguy

Going to Summit on 9/6 from VA...

I'll be driving up from Viewtown, VA (BFE out near Skyline drive). I don't have room for another bike on the trailer, but I'm more than willing to help out with carrying gear or whatever else. Let me know if I can help.

Mike

mugenej8power

Ok well sorry about bumping, but I didn't want to start a new thread. As long as the position is still available I will be doing VIR Patriot on Oct. 19th with NESBA!! :D

One question though. My suit is a 44 US but I think it may be a little small now. I'm 6'1" around 200lbs. Suit is a 1 piece A* Octane. It's too late to return, but I tried diff. suits on before hand and the 44 felt good and tight. I've ridden around in it before and it was fine but leaned all the way over it felt somewhat constrictive to my breathing. I think I may need a 46 or 48. :(

My question: Is there any stretching exercises to help may be get the suit a little more loose?

If you get it slightly wet and wear it for while you can get a little better fit sometimes. I've heard of people wearing them in the shower or riding in the rain, but I've never done it.

Folly1

I don't know the name of it, but there is a liquid or creme that you apply to leather to help it stretch. Also Barnacle Bill or Alexa at Spyderworks can add a little material to make it fit better.

Ben.

Blaise

mugenej8power;9620 wrote: MD is just to the north so it's not too bad. I'll have to give him a call and find out some information. I'd love to come up to Summit and meet everyone, but remember.... I have no truck or trailer to get the bike up there. :( Lol. Are there usually a lot of intro level riders at track days?
So buy a $300 harbor freight trailer and get to it. You can find them used on craigslist as well.

bikke-1.jpg

I'd love to have a truck but I got the car before I got into this hobby/addiction.

rk97

I've been looking at trailer hitches for my car letely. I'm just worried it will strain my little 1.6 Civic. Lol.
I think the 1.6 liter civic would be fine towing 1 bike. figure 450 wet for the bike, then 200lbs or less for the trailer - that's only 650 lbs. you get four 200 lbs people in yoru car, and that's more weight than you'd be towing, just distributed differently.

I also think car/trailer is more practical than bike in truck. my truck gets 22 mpg on its best day, when the bed is empty. that's 98% of my driving. car/trailer might not do much better when towing, but under normal driving, it's saving you a ton of gas money - more than enough to offset the additional cost of tolls for a trailer.

plus loading a bike into my truck alone is nearly impossible. trailer would be a lot easier. that might be my biggest upgrade this off-season.

out of excuses! ;-)