Issues.

HavocCat

Chris
This is driving me crazy.

Does anyone know if a destroyed gauge cluster would cause a bike to not start?

After my big slip up at Thunderbolt, it left my gauge cluster destroyed, HOWEVER, all of the indicator lights still work, and when plugged in to the wiring harness, when I turn the key on, the needle will still do a full sweep like it used to.

The only indicator I can not get to light is Neutral, which is causing me not to be able to start.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I've already pulled and cleaned and re-installed the gear position sensor, no change.

A more simple way for me to ask this: What would cause my bike to not think that it is in neutral when it is? Other than the gauge cluster....

Last edited:

HavocCat

Chris
Right, or if someone here has a newer GSXR sitting in their garage, go out and un plug the gauge cluster and see if it starts. :p

HavocCat

Chris
beB458T.jpg

And here's what I did today.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Kickstand switch? Clutch switch? Tip over sensor-looks like your subframe is damaged?
Just off the top of my head. My neutral light, and "0" on the gear indicator work intermittently after a crash, and the bike starts/runs fine. Cluster wasn't destroyed, though.

HavocCat

Chris
Kickstand switch is hard wired and ok. Clutch switch I also checked. The sub frame was broken and needs to be replaced. Haven't found the tip over sensor yet but you think that would cause the neutral light to not activate?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
No, but it may make the bike not start.

The neutral light being out may be the sensor. Not sure where it's located, but I was told that's why mine isn't working...Probably dirt/damage to the sensor.
Edit - neutral light sensor, not tip over sensor

Last edited:

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
We'll keep and eye on the 2016 schedule, looking forward to riding with you Bro!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Nothing, I complete the following at the end of every season:

** refresh forks, shock, steering damper
** steering bearings (inspect and grease)
** rear shock linkage (inspect and grease)
** inspect/clean air filter
** replace spark plugs
** replace water wetter
** change oil/filter
** fill gas tank and stabilize it
** clean front and rear brake calipers/pistons
** replace brake pads/bleed brakes
** check your cables, throttle, clutch, etc, spray WD-40 on them

I want to be ready on the first nice day in 2016. :D

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Oh, cool. When you said your were in the same boat has Havoc, I thought you had, ahem, repairs to do. Glad that's not the case. I like your maintenance list, it's similar to mine. I suck at lubing the cables though. I have one of those little thingies that screws onto the end of the cable, but it never seems to work. I just end up spraying cable lube all over the place; suggestions welcomed for getting the lube to run the length of the cable.

I have Markbilt do the suspension refresh. I'll have to ask them about greasing the steering bearings and shock linkage, another two items I've not learned to do. The only thing I do differently is wait until spring to change the brake fluid so it's nice and fresh!

Another thing I now do with every oil change is that clutch adjustment procedure that gixxers have, not sure all bikes have it: remove the cover on the right side of the bike, and do the procedure of first loosening the clutch cables at both ends, then adjusting that locknut inside the cover. Something I overlooked for a long time.