Keith Code's 2 day camp?

MaidenNJ

I'm going to sign up for CSS in September. Does anyone have any experience taking Code's 2 day camp. Was it worth the 2k? Lemme know before I give up the coin cause 2k buys alot of ass.

Thanks in advance.

Folly1

Do it. You will learn more and enjoy it almost as much as the alternative you suggested. Then again, I never paid 2K for A ( not counting my 2nd marriage ).

Seriously, well worth it. The Yamaha school is probably just as good. I was very impressed with Nick and Jim at VIR SED day.

Ben.

Steve

I did level 1 and 2, but not the two day camp, so I don't know if that's different. It wasn't for me. I'd recommend the Yamaha Championship School over CSS. YMMV.

My first time ever on the track was at CSS 2 day course so of course I got a LOT out of the course. Back in 2008, they had Kawisaki zx6r's, but now they have the new BMW S1000rr's for the students, so that should be pretty fun. If I were to take another course, I would probably take the Yamaha Champions school next.

arhale09

I've never done the Code school or any other of the high-end rider schools, but I have seen several folks on the forum report that the California Superbike School wasn't worth the money. I can't recall names, but if you look around a bit you can find some reviews. However, I have heard nothing but good things about Nick Ienatsch and his instructors at the Yamaha Champions School. SEVERAL of the CR's swear by it. You can probably run a search and find that as well.

One thing I'd definitely do is head on down to the local bookstore and buy a copy of Code's Twist of the Wrist, read that, then imagine two days with the author.

Blinky

2k is a good drop on some classes i say especially when you can just do regular 2 days for 900 and give me the other 1100.

stkr

I can only speak for the Yamaha Champions school as I've never done Code's. Top notch school worth every penny. :cool:

betarace

have done all levels of code's school. for the money doing 2 1 day classes ($650 ea on their bike, $450 on yours) is a much better deal than the 2 day camp. In the 2 day camp the rider/instructor ratio is 2:1 vs. 3 or 4:1. You also get an extra session per day. Smart money is 2 1 day classes and put the remainder to 4-6 NESBA track days to hone your skills.

slowpoke

I've only done level 1 w/ code not the two day. i recently did YCRS and realize the two are very different approaches. IMHO, YCRS is the way to go.

gkotlin

I've not done the Keith Code school. I have done the Yamaha Champions Rider School. I have nothing but great things to say about experience. I was taught at Nesba events by many many graduates of the training programs offered by the YCRS staff. I thought I got all I needed through the "trickle down" teachings at trackdays. Many many of the fastest track day and racers I know have all gone to the YCRS school. Many of them find such value in the training they have gone multiple times. Do your homework and choose the training thats right for you. If you have any questions, feel free to PM and I'll give you my number to call and discuss what you should look for in rider training. You can also contact Dan Short, he's the director of the YCRS program. Here is a quick synopsis of my experience at YCRS. I cannot wait to go again!

http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=13255&highlight=ycrs

Gorecki

As I already responded on wera for the same post, I'm doing Level's 1&2 in August and NJMP. It does seem doing individual levels vs the 2 day is more economical and really not much different.

If you haven't already done so, get the 'twist of the wrist II' book and/or DVD. There's a lot of good information in there and directly related to their classes.

I'm a strong believer developing good technique for just about anything sets foundation for building experience, I think CSS takes the same approach.

MaidenNJ

Thanks guys. After reading all of your posts I've decided to take the one day course at CSS and the Yamaha school in September/October. I'm Goin to UTAH baby!
Thanks for all the guidance guys, it helped me out alot.

Jerry

BigBird

sounds like a great plan....i'm sure you'll definitely enjoy both, and when I get the $$ together, Yamaha School is where I'll be heading

betarace

CrashR6;134091 wrote: Keith Code is a tool....that is all.....(yes I have been through levels 1-3).

I dont get it, if he is a tool in your opinion, why did you go three times? couldnt you have figured that out after the first time?:congrats:

Blinky

Well I would have to say, I would go to the Yamaha school in a heart beat if I had the money to go. During my experience with CSS, all they asked continous was "Which corner were you having problems with?" "What did you improve on?"

Anybody else get that script from the helpers?

Come on guys, if they were following me, they would know where I was having problems at...

CrashR6

I did not say the school is not without merit, I merely indicated in my opinion Keith Code (as an individual in my personal dealing with him) is a tool. Your welcome Mr Clown.

betarace

OK, gotcha... the reason they do that is because the belief is that by asking you the questions you can build up a knowledge of symptoms, fixes and remedies by self analysis, also called the "socratic method". I hear ya on the style, and I dont like it either. That being said, if you ask for a "direct feedback" approach you can and will get it. Not everyone responds to direct feedback due to egos, learning styles personalities etc, and the socratic method is designed to aid the learner in learning.

I can tell you that the school's teaching style has equipped me to self analyze and the books/vids etc allow me to review the material and self correct (or at least identify and work on) issues impacting my riding.

lest you think this is some kind of "Code invented" thing or Scientology related stuff (of which the school is totally devoid of), here is a little background on the Socratic Method http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method

all of these schools are tuned and priced differently and all have merits, but it is very clear that CSS, YCRS and Schwantz (and the defunct Freddie Spenser school) produce results.

Blinky

Frankly, I didn't like that they asked and then I have to reply what I'm doing wrong. I wanted instructors not babysitters. There are some things you just don't realize that you are doing wrong until it is pointed out and I got more out of CRs with NESBA telling me what I was doing wrong.