Lap Timers for Track Day Beginners?

ThatSickRip

Was curious to your guys thoughts on running a lap timer as a track day beginner? I was thinking it would be a good way to track progression and improvements. What do you guys think? Are they a good buy for a beginner?

betarace

It's one if the few objective measures if progress and consistency. But absent lines and smoothness, can be a distraction. Many mount on their tails and consult the times at the end of sessions as to not be a distraction.

cooker1

In my opinion the less distractions you have the better - no timer no speedo maybe tach if you cant guage rpm by ear . There is really no need for a timer as a beginner save your money for more track time and improvements to your bike or gear how are your tires ? You should concentrate on riding , body position , apexes , traffic etc and worry about going fast after you have learned all you can by going slow ! You have to learn to go slow in order to go fast ! Just my opinion from a 1st year rider .

jcrich

I personally waited a bit before getting one. I focused on the fundamentals and practiced what the CRs told me and did not really worry about lap times. There is a lot to absorb and to me the lap timer would have been a distraction. There will be plenty of time to chase lap times as you progress. JMHO.

ThatSickRip

Thanks guys (and girl :) ) I was thinking of it more as a way to measure progression as I go during the year than as I go during the day. Im not worried about chasing times, at all, at this point with being so new. And Im completely ok with being the slowest person in each session, as long as Im learning and getting better. I guess I was thinking it would be a good way to actually see if I was getting better vs thinking or assuming I was getting better.

cooker1

ThatSickRip;215408 wrote: Thanks guys (and girl :) ) I was thinking of it more as a way to measure progression as I go during the year than as I go during the day. Im not worried about chasing times, at all, at this point with being so new. And Im completely ok with being the slowest person in each session, as long as Im learning and getting better. I guess I was thinking it would be a good way to actually see if I was getting better vs thinking or assuming I was getting better.
You will know when you are getting better it will be in the way you feel when you go through say T4 you will go wow I did that perfect and when you start passing people not cause your bike is faster but because you are riding better ! It will come in time just ask a CR to follow you for a few laps and then listen to what they tell you and then apply it and soon enough you will be better and will know it !

jcrich

ThatSickRip;215408 wrote: Thanks guys (and girl :) ) I was thinking of it more as a way to measure progression as I go during the year than as I go during the day. Im not worried about chasing times, at all, at this point with being so new. And Im completely ok with being the slowest person in each session, as long as Im learning and getting better. I guess I was thinking it would be a good way to actually see if I was getting better vs thinking or assuming I was getting better.
Well of course it is, what we are saying is initially focus on the important stuff. As I said as you progress you will know when you are starting to improve and then the timer will make sense.

Eh cooker types too fast..... :)

tangogod

Depending on how your riding technique has progressed it could be useful. Having good form and technique, being on the race line and being consistent are more important than lap times. A useful tool is a video camera to evaluate your riding and you can also gauge your progress from that as well. Timers are good, just don't get married to it and "chase the times" your skills can suffer as well fun time at the track. Some guys joke about a timer being "a fun meter" other words " if my times aren't going down I am not having fun"
Just some of the info I learned and was passed on to me from the CR"s

Just keep it fun!

trekuhl

Control Rider
get one and dont look at at. just make sure it logged laps ea session.

get a mead $1 notebook and take notes at the end of session on how you felt, etc.

then wait a week and compare your notes with the laptimes.

dbarufaldi

Get a GoPro before the laptimer. You can time laps with it, although in a less immediate way, but more importantly, you can study your own riding. It isn't hard to know what do to, per se, it's just hard to gauge if you're really doing it. The video doesn't lie. If you are off line, you see it, if you are turning in at the same point of a turn, etc. Turn the camera around to study body position, put it on the tail to watch position and head movement. They cost similar amounts (timer or GoPro), but the video is provide you more feedback.

In the very beginning, however, you just need more tracktime.

Dan B

ThatSickRip

dbarufaldi;215439 wrote: Get a GoPro before the laptimer. You can time laps with it, although in a less immediate way, but more importantly, you can study your own riding. It isn't hard to know what do to, per se, it's just hard to gauge if you're really doing it. The video doesn't lie. If you are off line, you see it, if you are turning in at the same point of a turn, etc. Turn the camera around to study body position, put it on the tail to watch position and head movement. They cost similar amounts (timer or GoPro), but the video is provide you more feedback.

Dan B
Just got my GoPro in the beginning of the week so I got that covered. Any recommended spots to place the camera on the bike for the things you suggested doing?

RADAR Magnet

dbarufaldi;215439 wrote: Get a GoPro before the laptimer. You can time laps with it, although in a less immediate way, but more importantly, you can study your own riding. It isn't hard to know what do to, per se, it's just hard to gauge if you're really doing it. The video doesn't lie. If you are off line, you see it, if you are turning in at the same point of a turn, etc. Turn the camera around to study body position, put it on the tail to watch position and head movement. They cost similar amounts (timer or GoPro), but the video is provide you more feedback.

Dan B
I agree with this and many of the other responses. I'm still relatively new; bought a basic lap timer at the beginning of the year for the same reason as the OP. However, I haven't checked it yet; but I have watched video from my go pro. Maybe I'll check out the lap times at the end of the season or maybe I'll make better use of it next year; am just focusing on gaining proficiency in the fundamentals at this point.

To the OP, my bit of advice is to do as many track days as possible, approach each one with a plan and to ride with purpose. You won't need a lap timer to notice improvement.

dbarufaldi

ThatSickRip;215440 wrote: Just got my GoPro in the beginning of the week so I got that covered. Any recommended spots to place the camera on the bike for the things you suggested doing?
Well, on my bike, I put a ram mount where the mirror mount was, and from there I can point the cam forward or back toward me. If pointed forward, I prefer it in front of the fairing, close to center because you can see how you are doing on the line, and how close you are to the apexes. Behind the windscreen is good too, and you can look at the instruments - another data point.

When pointing it backward, again I think mounted on the front fairing is good. You can see body position and also your hands - see when you're braking, rolling on the throttle, etc. You can also see where you're looking at any point. If I had a modicum of tech savviness, I'd post a screen capture for each, but.......no.

Dan B

dbarufaldi

RADAR Magnet;215447 wrote: SNIP

To the OP, my bit of advice is to do as many track days as possible, approach each one with a plan and to ride with purpose. You won't need a lap timer to notice improvement.
This is excellent advice. I had a blast of fun in the early days of trackriding, but didn't progress nearly as well as I could have, and developed some bad habits by just trying to go fast, but not working on fundamentals. Have a plan, use CR's for regular evaluation. I've seen lots of guys make notes after sessions and even draw the track from memory, as an exercise. All good.

Dan B

j_fuggin_t

trekuhl;215433 wrote: get one and dont look at at. just make sure it logged laps ea session.

get a mead $1 notebook and take notes at the end of session on how you felt, etc.

then wait a week and compare your notes with the laptimes.
:agree: i also agree with the no distraction part as well, thats why you put it on the back of the bike, as beginners your focusing on body position, head position, lines, apexs, throttle, brake & overall becoming familiar with the track. In my opinion the lap timer is a great tool that will help you along the way, i had one as a beginner and kept it on the back of the bike & checked it if i felt i was going faster that particular session etc.. just make sure not to fall into riding for lap times mode, keep it as a tool only. same thing with camera's i used to use them to make video's etc.. but as i'd watch them i'd find myself correcting things that i was doing wrong & i still use the camera for that very reason, like damn why did i hit the brakes there or why the hell did i turn in that early etc.. what most may use for toys on the track, keep them for tools to help your riding.

cooker1

I should have mentioned the camera but got distracted !!! It is a great tool and have had one since day one lots to learn through your video and others . Albeit I dont have the latest GOPRO but mine was cheap and shoots pretty good video just sometimes when I'm wringing the SV you just need a few beers to watch it and its clear as the break of day !!!!!!

Hitman954

Lap timers are nice but not needed to go fast. I've never used one, wanted to a couple times, but never needed one. Of corse I'm only here for a good time and have no desire to race so I've never cared about my times. They seem to be more of a bragging right than a tool to me. I've really liked the Gopro, helps me see the lines I take and my body position, which is what ultimatly helps you go faster. IMO, save the money till you get faster and need to fine tune a see consitency in your laps, this is when it will best help you, till then you could end up chasing lap times which will do nothing for you.

just my two cents