Less chance of flame here than WERA

jay956

what thickness wire should be used? the only thing i can find is at harbor freight but it looks very thick.

jtsgsxr6

0.032 304 stainless steel wire I get mine from fastenal. But I think ace hardware's carry it, at least mine does.

JRA

I've really good luck with Dewalt bits. I do use a drop of oil most of the time for the reasons already stated. If I'm careful not to break the bits I can easily do ten or more bolts with on drill bit. Whoever said they don't care about breaking bits must never have had one break off inside the bolt head. Broken bits can be really difficult to remove.

Tom, you are welcome to look at my bikes any time you want. I have all the stuff shown in these pictures done to mine.

Todd Stinson

It helps in some circumstances to chuck the bit further into the drill so less bending force is applied to the bit.

D.Brown

Suburbanrancher;112507 wrote: Hose clamps are enough according to the RB. Here's some other safety wire and silicone examples for you guys; basically I wire the brake pad pins, fill caps and drain plugs, and anything with fluid behind it except for galley plugs which I silicone:

build76.JPG

build83.JPG
Nice work! And I thought I was an expert.I need to revisit the rulebook.See you at the races.

D.Brown#10

Gorilla

Control Rider
Doolicous;112823 wrote: Do I have to wire hose clamps? I uh ah, I what? really?

You used to but they took it out of the rule book this year they took header bolts out to.

D.Brown

Gorilla;112867 wrote: You used to but they took it out of the rule book this year they took header bolts out to.
cool,thanks! It has been three years since I have been tech"d for racing. Trying to eliminate any surprises.
D.Brown#10

justariot66

Hey guys what do you use as a catch can? I am guessing its for the overflow lines but dont know what I should use at the end of each tube.

Fuel lines and any other fluid line must be clamped. Are there any specific lines I need to do on my 07 gsxr or are all the lines already clamped by suzuki?

Got every nut and bolt drilled I think I am just not quite sure regarding the above questions.
PS I must have flew under a lucky star I drilled every bolt (15 I think) with one but made by dewalt. Tried black and decker and cheapo harbor freight and it was futile. I went into my drill bit box from dewalt and boom, knocked them all out.

Thanks for any help, Dave

JRA

I've found the same thing. They are a lot more expensive per bit, but if you are careful you can drill a bunch of bolts with one bit. Cheaper (and less frustrating..have you ever broken a bit off inside of a bolt head?) to buy one or two expensive bits than ten cheap ones.

We still aren't talking big money here though. A Dewalt 1/16 drill bit is about $3. The cheaper bits you can get a two pack for a couple of bucks.

Tony A

Catch cans

it has been my experiance if your bikes plumbing stays stock you will not need any.
meaning breather tube still goes to airbox, tank vents are stock location and work, etc, just be sure all overflow lines are directed and stay in place to stay contained in belly pan.

jay956

JAB3;112602 wrote: cutting oil (or some other lubricating oil)=yes some of the bolts are pretty hard metals a drop of oil helps lubricate the bit and keep it cool. :rolleyes:
cobalt bits = for hardened metals

use a drill press when you can... much easier
started drilling today, picked up some cheapo bits to start to see how they worked. got half way through the first bolt and it broke. switched to the cobalt bit. went through 10 bolts like butter.

jay956

got ahead of myself a little. drilled some bolts with out thinking how i'm going to run wire through it. the fork pinch bolts and one of each of the caliper bolts are recessed and theres no way to fit the wire through.

this was what i was bale to do with the front
DSC00928.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

i figure one caliper bolt and one pinch bolt is better than nothing right?

oil drain
DSC00926.jpg

i do have the ends twisted up and folded back on itself, just cant see it from the angle of the pics. gotta go pick up a cotter pin and a hose clamp to finish the oil filter and fill cap.

i'm sure theres something i could have done better, so let me know what you think.

Not bad Jay.

Your oil plug could be wound tighter. Just practice. As a fellow B-grouper it's all part of the learning process brother.

BZ