Low lift/ no lift helmet?

afinepoint

Mar 15, 2010
As my speed has climbed I've noticed the tendency of my Shoei to move about on the straights. With it on tight I have had to reach up and adjust on ocassion. The helmet fits fine off the track and in the most spots on the track with the above exception.

Any suggestions as to a helmet that resists lift? I'd go with what the pro's wear except they get paid to wear what they do and it's probably custom fitted anyway.

Thanks,

Reg

R1Baby

Control Rider
Jul 16, 2008
The helmet is to big, or the check pads are to small. Not sure if the pads on you helmet are replaceable. I had the same issue years ago, and found out my helmet was to big after being properly fitted by an Aria rep.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Jul 12, 2008
Agree. Get someone to fit you. Mine was loose as well. Next size down was too small and put too much pressure on my forehead. I bought larger cheek pads and it fits great now. May or may not be the same for you. Visit a reputable shop.

some guy #2

Oct 21, 2008
Which Shoei is it? You may be able to remove the liner and buy a bigger one (smaller size) so it fits tighter.

Lava

Oct 19, 2010
If you have a "narrow" or more oval head, instead of round shaped, try an Arai. I can't wear shoei helments

dbarufaldi

Sep 21, 2008
afinepoint;236323 wrote: As my speed has climbed I've noticed the tendency of my Shoei to move about on the straights. With it on tight I have had to reach up and adjust on ocassion. The helmet fits fine off the track and in the most spots on the track with the above exception.

Any suggestions as to a helmet that resists lift? I'd go with what the pro's wear except they get paid to wear what they do and it's probably custom fitted anyway.

Thanks,

Reg
Agree about the fit issue - remarkable how many of us ride around with ill-fitting helmets.

Other issue is you can tuck in under the windscreen on the straights, which will help somewhat.

Dan B

afinepoint

Mar 15, 2010
Model is unknown. Nothing is listed in any of the literature or on the helmet - at least not obviously. I'll contact Shoei about adding padding. Below is a picture of the helmet.

Thanks,

Reg

dbarufaldi

Sep 21, 2008
afinepoint;236373 wrote: Model is unknown. Nothing is listed in any of the literature or on the helmet - at least not obviously. I'll contact Shoei about adding padding. Below is a picture of the helmet.

Thanks,

Reg
Is that the Viffer at VIR??? My streetride is a VFR, and I used it for a few trackdays before getting a dedicated trackbike. Such a great motor in those bikes (mine is a 98, 5th gen)...she's a heavy gal for the track, but transplanting that mill (with hotter cams, etc) has always been a fantasy.

Definitely the most do-everything-exceptionally-well bike I've owned. Tracked it, and rode it cross country - 10K miles in 30 days.

Seeing the pic made me grin.

Dan B

Matt H

Jul 10, 2008
Note that even with a manufacturer (Shoei, Arai,...) that the different models fit different shape heads. A Shoei RF-1200 and x-12 do not have the same shape. An Arai Signet and Corsair do not have the same shape. So just don't listen to "manufacturer X" has a certain shape. They have different shapes within a manufacturer. Arai even publishes the intended shape of each helmet on their website. So also note that changing models within a manufacturer can have an effect on proper fit. Anyway, yeah, go get fit properly. And it's even possible that that particular helmet may not fit properly even with different cheek pads. But try that out and see if it helps. Or you may need to go down a size. A proper fitting race helmet is VERY snug, but without a pain-point of pressure. This is wear the right shape comes in to get it to fit correctly.

stow

Jul 11, 2008
afinepoint;236373 wrote: Model is unknown. Nothing is listed in any of the literature or on the helmet - at least not obviously. I'll contact Shoei about adding padding. Below is a picture of the helmet.

Thanks,

Reg
That looks like a RF-1000.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Oct 20, 2008
NJ
It's been mentioned in this thread already but your helmet is too big. I had the issue of looking into a long turn and my helmet was just loose. Talk to CR Lou :agree:

stkr

Jul 17, 2008
When you try on a helmet, remove the cheek pads and fit the helmet to your head. Check pads are only for comfort and have no real energy absorbing material.

Also, strap the helmet on like normal, then reach behind and try to roll the helmet forward from the back. If it can move forward, down your forehead, then it's too big.

When I switched to a Small Arai Profile, it was a new world. That one crashed well, and now I have an Arai Signet-Q. Both are the long oval shape and eliminated the forehead pressure point I've had before. The pressure point was why my other Arai Corsair was actually too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afinepoint

Mar 15, 2010
dbarufaldi;236375 wrote: Is that the Viffer at VIR??? My streetride is a VFR, and I used it for a few trackdays before getting a dedicated trackbike. Such a great motor in those bikes (mine is a 98, 5th gen)...she's a heavy gal for the track, but transplanting that mill (with hotter cams, etc) has always been a fantasy.

Definitely the most do-everything-exceptionally-well bike I've owned. Tracked it, and rode it cross country - 10K miles in 30 days.

Seeing the pic made me grin.

Dan B
Yes an 07. It's in my signature. Used at track for a while and leaned hard enough to scraped pipes. The bike did a great job for what it is. I moved on to the 07 GSXR in my signature courtesy of Mr. Curtis above - Thanks Jim.

The only issues I had with the VFR is those models are hot heads and I had to swap to Water Wetter just to get coolant temperature reasonable. Also being a sport tourer it was bear to turn in. I didn't want to change the suspension since I use it on the road.

I like riding her. She does well in all weather and has always brought me home safe and sound.

Reg

afinepoint

Mar 15, 2010
Matt H;236376 wrote: . . . A proper fitting race helmet is VERY snug, but without a pain-point of pressure. This is wear the right shape comes in to get it to fit correctly.
I want it snug but have had a tight helmet before. It became a real distraction.

Reg