Mating new brake pads.

Vega

I've gotta slap some mirrors and a license plate on my bike today and rack up at least 250 miles to mate my new brake pads to the discs. So, I was wondering how those of you with dedicated track bikes mate new pads? Hopefully, by next season, my 636 won't be on public roads any more.

Suburbanrancher

Take your old pads off, then use steel wool or a similar-type material and thoroughly go over both sides of your brake discs where the pads make contact to remove any residual material from the old pads. Clean the caliper and sides of the brake pistons with some brake cleaner and an old toothbrush, then install the new pads (you can also put a tiny dab of copper grease on the sides of the brake pistons to lubricate them, but be very careful not to get it anywhere else).

Once the new pads are installed ride a couple of hundred yards back and forth and moderately apply brake pressure. I would recommend doing this 5-10 times. Then use your first track session with the new pads to scrub them in through progressively harder braking.

Good luck.

Pascal

Inspect your brake components while you have everything apart. I just cleaned mine and noticed the slider pins have grooves in them. Due for replacing! T

he RJL pads are fantastic - just put them on and ride!

ta2kutz

im in the process of doing the same thing with pads. i went as far as removing the pistons from the calipers and giving them a good cleaning. damn things were gunked up just past the dust seal above the fluid seal. i used air to pop the pistons out of the body without taking the caliper in half. but only use regulated air at like 5 psi or less. it'll pop them out quick and you have to hold the ones you dont want out in the caliper

Wink

Vesrah RJL pads. (I love them!)

Install, and launch into Turn 1 at full speed. No worries.

Follow the advice above related to cleaning and inspecting while you are working on the brakes.

Vega

All advice has been heeded and implemented! Thanks! The steel wool worked wonders. The callipers are in excellent shape and sparkly clean. I also cleaned and re-greased the axles and bushings while I was at it. I already had some EBC HH pads but I will be sure to use Vesrah pads next time 'round.