Michelin Power Slick 2 tires?

bossman2022

Hi Guys,

I am currently running Power Cup 2 tires and really like them. I honestly prefer them over the Dunlop Q5's that I have run until bald. So went back to them. But I am at the point where I think it's time to move to slicks as I am a solid mid pack intermediate pace. So been looking at the Michelin Power Slick 2 tires which are a track day tire so only one compound to worry about. If I go full Dunlop or Pirelli at the track then I need to worry about compounds and not sure I am ready for that yet?

Anyone had any experience with those over the Power Cup 2? Is there much difference? Is it worth considering a track day slick versus full race slicks? Or just go full race slicks? Metzler has some nice track day slicks also in the RaceTec TD which folks have said are pretty good.

Unless I am missing something and Dunlop has a track day slick also?

Only have one track day left this year at NCBIKE, and then it will be January in Miami. I have enough tread on my current Power Cup 2 tires for the entire weekend I think at NCBIKE and then the rear is likely done. So will need something on the rear for Miami. Either a fresh rear, or change to slicks? Suggestions?

bossman2022

Ahh I guess Pirelli has the Pirelli Diablo Superbike Trackday SC-3 Slick as their track day slick, so that would be another option also. I don't see one for Dunlop that I can find. Just full slicks.

bmart

Control Rider
If I go full Dunlop or Pirelli at the track then I need to worry about compounds and not sure I am ready for that yet?
What is it that you're worried about? I never worry about compound at any track, although I might run a soft at Road A/VIR and a Med+ at CMP/NC Bike, but mostly for wear. I never want for grip.

bossman2022

The main thing is having to have different compounds for different tracks and then having to swap tires :) Its nice an easy now with Power Cup 2 as I have what I have, so I just throw the warmers on and run them until they are done. So I like the idea of the extra grip of slicks and doing the same, and not having to worry about what compound to run at each track?

So I suppose I could just run Med+ at all tracks? Which would be similar I think to a track day slick? At least according to the Pirelli SC3, it's the hardest compound slick and longest wear, so that makes sense.

I am not sure I am good enough yet to notice a real difference if I changed compounds, but it gets expensive swapping tires all the time. I know all about tire compounds as an ex pro RC car racer back in the day :) It was WAY easier back in the day when we only had one M2 compound really. Now there are tons of different ones.

Main reason I want to go slicks is that while the Power Cup 2 or Q5 tires worked well, I constantly see the traction control light going off on the BMW dash (more so with the Q5 for some reason) and getting out of the corner and being better at rolling on the power is where I need to improve. I have good throttle control, just tentative rolling on the power out of the corner and since the light is constantly going off, it must be close to the capability of the tires already?

bossman2022

For Michelin tires (which I can get from WPS through work) they have Power Slick 2 and Power Performance Slick in Soft/Med. I could just get the Power Performance Slick in Med perhaps and just stick with that? Will there be a noticeable difference from those and the Power Slick 2?

bossman2022

Ahh well a little research and the Power Slick 2 and Power Cup 2 are the same compound tire without the tread. So likely not going to notice a ton of difference. Guess I need to go full slick if I am gonna make a change.

So then I need to decide, stick to Michelin (cheaper for me and easy to get), go with Pirelli or perhaps go with Dunlop since I mostly ride N2 and Stick Boy always has tons track side (but Dunlop has a TON of compounds).

GummyShark430

Control Rider
@bossman2022 you are correct the power cup 2 dot/slick are the same compound but they are at best a track day compound and at temp they will get greasy. The power performance cup is a full race tire requiring warmers and a higher pace. I've run all three brands dot and slicks and based on your posts I would suggest you continue to run the same tire or commit to slicks in general as you mentioned with warmers. Q5, SC DOTs, and PC2s are all great tires and can take you well into advanced pace but your tire pressures matter on wear and warmers can improve that. Speak to the tire guy like Stickboy for support on compounds for slicks and additional details or find a CR to help ya out.

bossman2022

Yeah leaning that way. Gonna chat some more with Zeb @ PitLane also about it. I did spend a bit of time chatting with Stick Boy at the last N2 event at CMP. Perhaps the issue is that the tires are getting warm and greazy, hence the traction control light coming on. And while they seem to last OK there is certainly wear and tear on them. Been following the Michelin tire pressures for those tires so I think you are right. Time to get some medium compound slicks I guess and give it a go.