Mixing groups?

denbsteph

This very well may start a fire storm, but it is a legitimate question, more out of curiosity.

I'm new to this unbelievable addiction and have the intentions of doing this for a long time. From what I have read and heard from fellow riders, why is it at times groups are mixed with each other ie: "B" with "I", "I" with "A". Is it due to overbooking? If it does happen occasionally, are riders screened prior to getting a temporary bump for the day or weekend. :) :popcorn:

Dennis

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
nesba doesn't mix groups, with the exception of the A/I endurance days, and for those, they require the I riders to be at upper I, or at least mid to upper I. No one can ride in a group other than the one to which they are assigned, the registration site won't allow it. I have never seen nesba put someone in a different group because they were overbooked. I have, however, seen other orgs do this. No temp bumps that I'm aware of. In fact, sometimes a rider may be bumped on a sold out weekend and therefore can't ride in the new group yet.

The only time I have seen this with NESBA is a a very low attended day (rare) or the endurance days. Otherwise, havent seen it.

BZ

stkr

I have seen some other organizations mix up B and I, but usually not in A. Unless you have an A group and a Race License group.

I have never seen NESBA mix groups. You're either ready for the next group or you are not. Mixing would tend to increase the speed differential, and possibly decrease the safety margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
On one occasion they had like 4 "A" group riders. They asked the a guys if they were willing to ride "I" and then they had 2-30 minute sessions instead of 3-20 minute sessions. I was "I" at the time. It was really cool getting passed on the outside routinely. :wow:

dlockhart5x

A some years back when A was a little " tighter" there were times when there were only a handfull of A riders. ( I can remember a day when there was 1) so the director asked him if he would ride I

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
dlockhart5x;235788 wrote: A some years back when A was a little " tighter" there were times when there were only a handfull of A riders. ( I can remember a day when there was 1) so the director asked him if he would ride I
That happens on occasion and I isn't full then, either. All riders then follow I group passing rules, FYI.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Also, the endurance days are much different from a regular track day. You actually have more open track to ride and there may be times when you may only see someone you know at the riders meeting.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Motofun352;235785 wrote: On one occasion they had like 4 "A" group riders. They asked the a guys if they were willing to ride "I" and then they had 2-30 minute sessions instead of 3-20 minute sessions. I was "I" at the time. It was really cool getting passed on the outside routinely. :wow:
Not that I'm jealous or anything, but that's the day those A riders became CRs.

To the OP, what Judy said. Endurance day only with faster I and all A riders. Insane amount of track time. The passing rules are different to allow the fast guys to move through traffic easily while not spooking I riders who are not used to close passing.

jtsgsxr6

Last year at Jefferson we had a day with like 20 B riders 10 I and 3 A so we combined A and I and ran 30 min sessions. Think we did it after lunch and took a poll first though.

JGardy_781

jtsgsxr6;235821 wrote: Last year at Jefferson we had a day with like 20 B riders 10 I and 3 A so we combined A and I and ran 30 min sessions. Think we did it after lunch and took a poll first though.
In the rare occasions that happens (and, over the past decade I've been doing this, I've only witnessed it at JC), the A guys have been privately polled buy the day's director, and the A guys decide whether or not they want to ride with the I participants of the day under the I passing rules - it'll either be a unanimous yes, or if anyone dissents, a group no. It's gone both ways in the recent past. You've never heard when it's been a no.

/j

beevan217

What is the indicator or method used to gauge the "upper I" riders? How are they determined & then able to sign up?? It doesn't affect me, I'm just curious of the selection process or how each "upper I" rider is deemed at the appropriate pace to attend an A/I endurance day.

JGardy_781

beevan217;235834 wrote: What is the indicator or method used to gauge the "upper I" riders? How are they determined & then able to sign up?? It doesn't affect me, I'm just curious of the selection process or how each "upper I" rider is deemed at the appropriate pace to attend an A/I endurance day.
I think the cutoff in the registration system was some number of days completed in I (5, 6?) and a plea from the powers that be in forum posts to honestly self-evaluate.

Mikey75702

If the A/I groups are mixed at anytime for whatever reason, they are still super safe.... The A guys are amazing, they pass the rest of us quickly and cleanly, most of the time you don't know they are there until they scream by you and leave you in the dust. Between their skill and the cr dedication to safety, there is no reason to worry about a mixed day.

beevan217

I'm looking to do the May 29th Endurance day & I suppose the passing rules will be I group rules (outside & straights)?? This will be my first endurance day if I make it. I also see that it's still not possible to sign up for that day......

JGardy_781

beevan217;235871 wrote: I'm looking to do the May 29th Endurance day & I suppose the passing rules will be I group rules (outside & straights)?? This will be my first endurance day if I make it. I also see that it's still not possible to sign up for that day......
If done like last year, then no - the rules were based upon rules from YCRS, where passing was allowed when the bikes are moving away from each other. Hard to explain here, but was sensible the way it was explained at the riders' meeting, and in how it worked on track. Wasn't restrictive at all...

/j

beevan217

JGardy_781;235873 wrote: If done like last year, then no - the rules were based upon rules from YCRS, where passing was allowed when the bikes are moving away from each other. Hard to explain here, but was sensible the way it was explained at the riders' meeting, and in how it worked on track. Wasn't restrictive at all...

/j
I think I have an idea of what you're saying J. Thanks man