Motor Rebuild Question

Boegy #63

All,
I was wondering how often it is needed to have a motor rebuild done on a track bike. I currently have about 3500 miles on my Aprillia RS660 (all track). I've participated in 24 track days(back of the pack A group)this year alone and have competed in 7 sprint races with this bike. Im sure its also brand specific, just looking for some advice outside of what the scheduled maintenance from the manufacturer gives.

Motofun352

Control Rider
My theory is a track bike will get more high rev's for the same mileage than a street bike. So I halved the mileage for things like valve clearance checks and even did compression checks every winter on the track bikes. After years of doing this I have never encountered an issue with my Yamaha's or Suzuki's (no experience with Ape's). I now think I've been over doing it but it's hard to get rid of that nagging thought that maybe I should check....just in case. :)

Jacob

No need to rebuild unless the engine has problems, I've seen bikes with 15k+ track only miles. I've never needed to rebuild a street bike engine, even an older rsv4 which were supposed to be fragile. I check the valves more frequently is about it. If you're worried you can check compression, otherwise just send it bro

tdelegram

Control Rider
Find a reputable race shop that knows that bike and have a discussion. Smaller higher strung motors like the 660 have a limited life span and fixing before a catastrophic failure that does more damage.

Dmal81

Control Rider
Those smaller twin motors have a tendacy to have the valve clearances out of spec sooner due to always having them at the top of the rpm range when racing ect. Also if racing your prob running water, even with additives like water wetter corrosion will happen so its important to keep up with flushing the coolant system. If your in the raleigh, nc area we offer all these services hit us up ! Pitlane Moto

Boegy #63

Thanks for the additional recommendations and info. Unfortunately I'm located in North East Ohio so I wouldn't be able to use your services. HSBK performed the build so I'll check with them also to see what they recommend.