NESBA - Operation Bone Stock?

Mr.DJ

Now, we all know you can put Carlos Checa #7 on a Bigwheel (or Green Machine) and lap us at track day.

However, has anyone here run a "bone" stock bike in WERA or CCS Novice?

Curious on how well the newer bikes (more importantly - the rider) perform with less than “Expert” grouped rider compared to others that may have invested in suspension, tires, exhaust, fuel mgt... etc. Then ask the rider pros and cons to the investments.

I’m thinking more like... take a bike off dealer floor, put on a belly pan and remove passenger pegs (or whatever else is required) and go race Novice or ride in Advanced. Ideally, someone that has done a ton of Trackdays and then took the bike out for a race weekend.

Thoughts on the idea or anyone done this recently? There is probably some RRW article out there I missed. Sorry if so, but I did ask a few folks. However, the novice, exhaust or lack of suspension requirement nix'd the candidate ;)

dlockhart5x

I saw A-fed often blowing past the A group on a bike that still had license plates on it. Give us back a region and come up and play with Allen sometime

barry38

When I got my 09 R6, I swapped all the suspension goodies from the 06, and put the 06 back to stock. Of course I crashed the 09 first time out, so I had to ride the 06 with stock suspension, basically stock other that the bodywork. I was really impressed with how good it was up to about a 90% pace, where it really started showing it's weakness. And I think that was more due to my size/weight, than the stock stuff.

LesPow

Control Rider
I ran a bone stock 2003 Kawi 636 last yr. CCS Novice, and got two thirds, also started from third wave.

This yr running the CBR with Penske rear and 20mm, kit full akro, exhaust, PCII. Also ran the stock suspension on the cbr for two yrs adding more oil to the forks to help with bottoming out, and was still capable of whooping ass on penke, ohlins riders. Haha. Track days...i.e.

Suspension on newer bikes are great if you are 180lbs. and still capable of taking trophies at the races

The RRW article you are thinking of they were able to put a stock bike (racing body work, stock motor, stock suspension, etc) on the AMA super bike grid. I believe the rider was Toye (not your average rider)

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
I rode my R1 bone stock for the first couple of trackdays and it rode really well, when i put the aftermarket suspension it improved a bit but not much. Before this i rode an 03 GSXR that was stock other than brake pads and was able to put down some decent lap times

jimgl3

i'm pretty sure izzy calvo has some lap times on bone stock r6. don't know if they were during his novice days though. and don't know how to contact him...

D-Swens

I believe it was 2009 ( + or - a year) but Jamie Hacking didn't get his new ZX6R's in time to do anything with them, so he rode a mostly stocker at the AMA opener at Daytona (I know they said the suspension was completely stock ect)...and I'm pretty sure he put it on the podium

stow

Julio Caliente;240419 wrote: The RRW article you are thinking of they were able to put a stock bike (racing body work, stock motor, stock suspension, etc) on the AMA super bike grid. I believe the rider was Toye (not your average rider)
I remember that article. It was a CBR1000RR.

Matt H

Robert Mitchell. Rode through our ranks. He won the WERA Novice C Superstock NorthEast and Mid-Atlantic Championships last year. Pretty sure that bike (R6) was very stock.

Taylorr6

I ride a "bone stock" 09 r6, with d211's, just put gas in it, and tape up the lights. They seem to run pretty good right out of the box. I don't race and I don't think I am that fast. But it sure is easy to ride, thanks Yamaha.

Mr.DJ

Taylorr6;240461 wrote: ... I don't race and I don't think I am that fast. ......

Yeah, I appreciate the humility, but you and Alan {Expert} don't count ;) Fast Guy!

You are still an Expert in my book.

All,
Great info guys.

Curious, anyone doing, or done this on a street tire
?

jimgl3

gsxr's are easy to ride. r6's are not. taylor you have skillz!

that's what izzy was telling me, he had a gsxr completely set up for racing and was able to lap faster on a bone stock r6.

* i think i misunderstood d.j. --- are you looking for a rider who's currently at that level regardless of if they've ridden bone stock bike , or just someone who while at that level rode a bone stock bike? or both , or what, heck i'm confused.

Mr.DJ

Taylorr6;240464 wrote: I ran a set of Q2's, same results.
I'll tell you what.... I'll personally [not NESBA] finance your expenses if you would like to do the Cycle Jam round in Road Atlanta.

If schedule permits, I will do the Jennings round in a few weeks. This may be good for a small track and HP track comparison.

You can use your stock r6 or mine, but we must keep it stock, pump gas and Q2 or Rosso rear for sure. Pondering a different front. Basically a "set the sag & go" bike.

Call me tonight... you have my number.

Maybe Alan F. would like to join us for the expert races?