New from Newport News, VA

R6F4orR1

Hey all, I just found this site and forum about two days ago. I have been interested in doing some track riding for a few years but never had the money for it until now. Since I am stationed in Newport News, VA, I'll probably only be hitting up VIR, unless there is another track that is relatively close.

I have been riding sport bikes for about 10 years and have also been a MSF Rider Coach for the last 2 years. I own a '08 CBR 1000RR. I have been to Deal's Gap and some surrounding roads (I'm from that area), but I still want to get on the track where I can really push myself and not have to worry about cars, animals, debris, etc.

Right now I am looking at using my 1000RR as my street and track bike since I'll be starting in "B" and don't really plan to try going beyond "I". Right now I can't afford another bike just for track riding. Any suggestions about things I should do to my bike to make both worlds meet in the middle?

I am used to being the go-to-guy for street riding info, but this track stuff is a new challenge for me. Thanks for any input/help.:eek:

Ted

snikwad

What's up Ted.
I live in Hampton, my buddy stationed at Eustus *spelling and my other boy are heading down to road atlanta tomorrow.
Its my army buddies 1st TD. My other friend and I, its our 2nd season. Nesba rocks man. There are a lot of track guys in our HR area. Some TPM, some nesba, some both.
VIR is a nice trip, easy drive. We frequent summit pt. Its 4.5hrs away, well worth it.

In my humble opinon, you don't need a 2nd bike, score some cheap race plastics, and track that RR. They are awesome on track. My 04 is wicked fun, I can only imagine a 08, as nice as I hear they are I'm scared to ride one, cause then I'd be taking up a 3rd payment.
Anyway. Track the RR. Welcome to nesba, have fun.

R6F4orR1

Any suggestions about finding cheap race plastics? I looked on a few different sites and the cheapest I could find was $700 for the whole set from kneedraggers.com.

I don't mind taking my bike to the track, I'm just concerned about trashing it and then being stuck with a payment for a bike I can't ride. That's why I'm looking at picking up a 2nd bike that is semi-cheap and strictly for track riding.

snikwad

ebay :)

im a firm believe in tracking what you ride daily, atleast a few times. then when it gets serious, then maybe get a dedicate track bike.

smack28752

Hey Ted,

Welcome to what will become a great (addictive) habit! Sounds like you've got the background and skills to start out strong.

NESBA is a fanatastic organization. There are some very quick riders, even in the :b: group. There is excellent instruction that happens on the track if you ask. So come on out and enjoy!!

As for your bike, do a few days on it first and then decide what you want to do. My suggestion is to not worry about race plastics just yet. There are a lot of guys who run their street bikes at NESBA days. My brother runs mid-level I and just now is converting his bike to track only. I ran my first day on a pristine Duc 748. Once I got onto the track and learned to breath out there, I was not concerned about dumping it (just worried that the liter bikes passing me would suck the paint off!!). I did several days (5 or 6) on a my street Daytona 675 before deciding to invest in a track bike. Only scratch it got was in the trailer!!

If you do decide to gets some skins, check out the Armour Bodies special for NESBA members - About $550 with the $100 discount, I think. Great quality stuff at a reasonable price.

BTW, Carolina Motorsports Park is not too far away, just south of Charlotte, inexpensive and a whole lotta fun. I hope to see you out there. :D

JAB3

Welcome to the addiction.
I am in VB myself. I am sure that you will enjoy your time on the track. VIR is a great facility.
Austin