New from Pittsburgh PA

clockworkcbr

Hey everyone,

Just joined the forum, itching to get on the track in the next few months! I have a 2008 Honda CBR 600RR. It's my third sportbike (02 F4i and 96 ZX-6R prior) and I adore it. I use my bike to commute to school and work (about 10 miles) on nice days and for the spirited journey through some local country roads every weekend.

I'm planning on signing up for a NESBA day at BeaveRun either in May or July, but just wanna get some advice before hand. I'm just a little nervous about taking my bike that I ride all the time on the street to the track. As long as I get hooked on the track, I plan to buy some race plastics and might even turn it full track. I just wanted to know if there's others out there that took their street only bike to the track for their first day.

I have full leathers and gear already. I have a friend at the dealership that I work at that told me not to take a streetbike to BeaveRun, but would be better to find a good priced turn-key bike to track. I'll probably do that in the future, but just wanna get my feet wet first. I'll be ok with my 600RR and a fresh set of Michelin PP2cts, right?

I'm gonna come out to BeaveRun on April 19th to check it out, too.

rk97

If everyone needed a track-only bike, or even track plastics, for their first trackday, the sport would have about a million fewer riders...

there's always a chance that you'll crash, but i wouldn't say it's "probable." I don't know what your dealer-friend has against BeaveRun, but it's no more crash-prone than any other track. In fact, it's got good runoff pretty much everywhere. A few more barriers than necessary along the straights, but they're out of 'traditional' impact zones.

welcome. I'll probably see you in May.

PS - you're going to hate my paint job.

clockworkcbr

Thanks!

Sorry, let me clarify, my friend doesn't have anything at all against BeaveRun, he loves it. He has a 636 track only and said he took it there for his first trackday and ended up crashing, saying he wasn't expecting the difficulty of BeaveRun. He's a great guy and said he'll probably be at BeaveRun april 18th and 19th.

I'm a cautious rider on the street and grew up on the dirt. Have now been riding for 4 years on the street. Maybe I'm just overreacting : /

rk97

I guess i read it like he was saying BeaveRun was somehow more likely to make you crash.

in any case, crashing is always a possibility. I've heard several people say "dont bring anything to the track that you're not willing to throw in the dumpster." That's just a BIT overstated, but you have to go in acknowledging that the worst might happen.

You could run the RR naked, if you've got frame sliders and don't want to risk the stock plastics.

meowculpa

I took my street 06 R6 to NJMP in oct 2008 for the first time.. after 1.5 yrs of street riding.. it was fantastic..the first time track experience is equal parts giddying and intimidating. almost surreal. after the first day, you always come back for more..

n'wez, after 3 days of track riding and a crash later, my bike is now track only..
if the fear of laying the bike down is going to cripple your senses, it's worth buying a track prepped turn key bike as your friend suggested- otherwise, you'll be fine. By and large, it's unlikely that you'd crash if you ride within your limits. [besides, you are a self confessed cautious rider..]

And you might see me in the beginner group on May 2/3 as well..

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I used my bike that also saw street duty for years! Like a dozen. I only finally stepped up to a track-only bike in '07! ;)

You'll be fine. Hook up with a Control Rider, let them know you're new. Ride your own ride and focus on smoothness, not speed. Welcome! You'll have a blast! I'll be out at the Beave probably in July.

Yank 521

Control Rider
i also am from the burgh area and i did my first track day at beaverun. it was all stock. had the time of my life and never looked back. now i don't street ride anymore, just no fun to me. the beav. os a great track to start to learn. it is very grippy and easy to learn. by the end of the day you will be hooked. i will be riding next sunday if there is still an opening for me when i get paid. if not i will still be there with my bike ready for any miracles that get me on the track. we will also have a lil buddy with us that is signed up for the intro ride on sunday. if you come up, look for us and we will try and answer any questions you have. everybody at the track knows how it is to do your first day. so stop over and talk some smack with us and you could ask vance how his first trackday at 16 yrs old was. my bike number is 521, black with green wheels. i will prob. be up there on sat. just to wonder around the pits in case any friends need any help.

TwoTyres

I did my fist track day at beave and i am heading back next month, i am still using my street bike. Remember, on a street bike you can carry full coverage insurance. :)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
TwoTyres;46363 wrote: I did my fist track day at beave and i am heading back next month, i am still using my street bike. Remember, on a street bike you can carry full coverage insurance. :)
Yeah, but check your policy first...some cover track days, some don't. Mine still does, so I've kept mine registered and insured. ;)