new girl from VA

9mmkungfu

Welcome aboard Sarah! I met Caleb - he's a good dude. What part of Virginia are you in? There are quite a few of us spread around this state.

kninja

9mmkungfu;300561 wrote: Welcome aboard Sarah! I met Caleb - he's a good dude. What part of Virginia are you in? There are quite a few of us spread around this state.
yeah he is. im in Staunton va.

thank you guys for the helpful words. im more than excited to be doing this.

RADAR Magnet

Welcome to the club! Sounds like you're pretty well positioned for reasonable drives to Summit, VIR and NC Bike. See you out there this year.

kninja

thanks everyone. a little update on things.
im officially paid for and set up for vir march 29th&30th with team promotion.
I purchased a one piece alpinestar stella Julie suit yesterday as well as some alpinstar stella ladies gloves.
I also got a joe rocket ce back protector and have my smx alpinestar boots as well.
I purchased some tire warmers(cheaper ones)
and got some new brake pads for the track bike. now I just gotta get devildogae down here to help me flush my brakes with his brake kit.
more than excited, and you guys have been very helpful so far on my journey.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
First track day? No need for tire warmers or race tires. Choose a good hypersport street tire, for example Dunlop Q2/3, Pirelli diablo rosso corsa. Give them a couple of laps to warm up and they will provide plenty of grip.

As a new track rider, you'll have plenty to learn without worrying about tire warmers.

As you progress to upper intermediate, then you'll want tp consider warmers.

yokel84

It's cool to hear about other new enthusiasts' stories. I remember getting ready for the track seemed so complicated at first. I bought a suit one year, and boots and gloves the next (limited funds). Wish I'd discovered the classifieds on here earlier, and glad I finally stopped procrastinating, taped up my lights, and hit the track.

Be careful though. I did my first day in August, and I'm planning on doing 20+ this year ;)

devildogae

Nice purchases, glad you got the full leathers and back protector. Your first TD is in about a month, get excited!! Let me know when your ready to do your brakes, Preferably the weekend.

kninja

HondaGalToo;300972 wrote: First track day? No need for tire warmers or race tires. Choose a good hypersport street tire, for example Dunlop Q2/3, Pirelli diablo rosso corsa. Give them a couple of laps to warm up and they will provide plenty of grip.

As a new track rider, you'll have plenty to learn without worrying about tire warmers.

As you progress to upper intermediate, then you'll want tp consider warmers.
yeah first track day :) the only reason I bought some tire warmers was because the cbr600rr that I bought came with Dunlop race slicks on it. so I figured I would definitely need tire warmers because I wont be skilled enough to really scrub my tires in.

kninja

yokel84;300977 wrote: It's cool to hear about other new enthusiasts' stories. I remember getting ready for the track seemed so complicated at first. I bought a suit one year, and boots and gloves the next (limited funds). Wish I'd discovered the classifieds on here earlier, and glad I finally stopped procrastinating, taped up my lights, and hit the track.

Be careful though. I did my first day in August, and I'm planning on doing 20+ this year ;)
ahh 20+ ill be in debt by then haha :)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
kninja;301031 wrote: yeah first track day :) the only reason I bought some tire warmers was because the cbr600rr that I bought came with Dunlop race slicks on it. so I figured I would definitely need tire warmers because I wont be skilled enough to really scrub my tires in.
That's part of my point. Even if you use warmers, on your first day you probably won't be going fast enough to keep heat in race slicks. Also, do you know how much those tires were used? Your best bet is to get a set of hypersport tires like I'd mentioned before.:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

HondaGalToo;301036 wrote: That's part of my point. Even if you use warmers, on your first day you probably won't be going fast enough to keep heat in race slicks. Also, do you know how much those tires were used? Your best bet is to get a set of hypersport tires like I'd mentioned before.:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
:agree:

JRA

First kninja, welcome to NESBA. You aren't going to fall down just because you have slicks on your bike, and you don't have to have warmers if you take it easy for two or three laps to warm your tires (although they are a great idea, especially in March). I think race tires are fine for any level of rider as long as you understand that they don't last as long as regular tires, and they aren't as good as street tires (for most riders) in the wet.

It sounds like you already have an experienced friend here. Have him look at your tires, and if they are relatively new and in good shape, put the tires out of your mind and concentrate on having a great time. The wet condition variable though should be treated with care. Slicks are very slick (see how I did that :D) if there is moisture on the track. Assuming the track is dry, and the tires are in good shape, you'll be just fine. You don't have to be a pro to ride on race tires.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I don't think anyone implied she'd fall down using slicks, LOL. For a new rider, and for the cost, when those slicks are done, I stand by my recommendation to replace them with a hypersport tire that doesn't need warmers. And that's more about having one less thing for a new rider to be dealing with, so they can better focus on learning technique. Sure, no tire "needs" warmers, but still...the hypersports work better under a wider range of temps, at least that's always been my understanding.

A hypersport will also allow a new rider to take advantage of riding on the wet days, as there's a lot to be learned about smoothness by riding in the rain.

kninja

thanks guys for the input. im taking into consideration everything that is said and I think im going to invest in a set of Q3's before my first track day.