New guy from VA

Blazer35

I wanted to say hello to everyone and get any helpful info I can. I'm planning on doing a few track days this year (depends on work schedule and $) and wanted to know what to expect. I'll probably be up at Summit Point most of the time as it is only about 45 mins away but I would also like to make the trek down to VIR at least once this year too.

Blazer35

Is anyone going to be at any of the upcoming track days (besides today) at Summit Point? I would like to see one event before I sign up for one, to ensure that my bike and I are both fully prepared.

JGardy_781

Blazer35;47106 wrote: Is anyone going to be at any of the upcoming track days (besides today) at Summit Point? I would like to see one event before I sign up for one, to ensure that my bike and I are both fully prepared.
Hey man -

I usually hit a bunch of Summit and some wider regional days (VIR, NJMP, etc) throughout the year, and am probably close to you. If I've got trailer room (got a big truck, but only a small trailer), you're more than welcome to come out with me and see what's what. If you want to get an idea about bike and rider prep, gear, etc., you're welcome to stop by my house sometime in the interim and take a look at my setup. I'm in West Springfield. Other than that, for rider and bike prep, the riders manual goes into a lot of real important detail...

Later on,
Jason

Blazer35

JGardy_781;47211 wrote: Hey man -

I usually hit a bunch of Summit and some wider regional days (VIR, NJMP, etc) throughout the year, and am probably close to you. If I've got trailer room (got a big truck, but only a small trailer), you're more than welcome to come out with me and see what's what. If you want to get an idea about bike and rider prep, gear, etc., you're welcome to stop by my house sometime in the interim and take a look at my setup. I'm in West Springfield. Other than that, for rider and bike prep, the riders manual goes into a lot of real important detail...

Later on,
Jason
Thanks for the invite and information Jason. That's really good to hear. I live in Sterling, but have classes in Fairfax at Mason twice a week. I might have to take you up on checking out some of your stuff. I don't want to sign up for a track day and arrive at the track to have something not be in line for Tech Inspection.
I looked over the riders manual as it has a lot of good info, but learn better from seeing things first-hand.
I was planning on trying to hit a Summit Track day maybe in June, but wasn't sure. I will def. keep you in mind.

Thanks again,
Chris

JGardy_781

No problem. PM me if you want to stop by. If you're using a streetbike to bring to the track, ride it down with your leathers on, and I can look at it and see if anything stands out from a tech perspective.

/j

trekuhl

Control Rider
im in FFX, just spent whole wkend at NJMP. ive only done about 5 TD's and only been riding couple years so its still very new for me. cant guarantee i can teach you anything at all but at least you will have some company!

im heading to summit on 5-10 if you want to go i can take you. got another guy going as well we might head up sat afternoon and camp out but might also just leavin in the AM (takes an hour from my place)

-trekuhl

physicistkev

Control Rider
I'm in Cascades (north of sterling) and would offer the same assistance as JGardy. Just got back from Summit and will be heading back there, to VIR and Beave the rest of the summer. Not going next weekend though :(. If you want to come by and take a look at what usually goes to a trackday or have me look over the bike I would be more than happy to do it. Just PM me.

Kevin

Blazer35

Hey guys,
It's great to hear all of the info from everyone.

Jason, trekuhl, and Kevin,

I will have to get in touch with you guys as I started riding dirtbikes quite a few years ago but have only been riding on the street for two years. I haven't had the time or money to go to a track day til this year and I need to pick up any knowledge from you guys I can.

Thanks again for all of the responses

-Chris

Blazer35

physicistkev;47557 wrote: I'm in Cascades (north of sterling) and would offer the same assistance as JGardy. Just got back from Summit and will be heading back there, to VIR and Beave the rest of the summer. Not going next weekend though :(. If you want to come by and take a look at what usually goes to a trackday or have me look over the bike I would be more than happy to do it. Just PM me.

Kevin
Kevin, I probably have seen you around. I live right off of Cascades Parkway. I would like to meet up with you and/or Jason to ensure I have everything in order.
I have been trying to look at racing suits to purchase as I do not own one. Does anyone have any preferences? I did search on here and found some good advice on what not to buy....; I figured a full zippered 2-pc would work well for what I would need. Any advice on what to get and where to get it would be appreciated.

-Chris

physicistkev

Control Rider
I am always available, well almost always, for help. Just PM me and let me know what your after or what questions you have. The board is a good place to start as there is a lot of experience out there. You do have to weed through some of the responses but there are tons of knowledgeable people out there.

I have ridden on the street since 90, until last year, and on the track in the mid 90's and then restarted 3 years back. I am not the best for the latest technology on bikes but I can help you with what counts. Just PM me.

JGardy_781

Blazer35;47600 wrote: Hey guys,
It's great to hear all of the info from everyone.

Jason, trekuhl, and Kevin,

I will have to get in touch with you guys as I started riding dirtbikes quite a few years ago but have only been riding on the street for two years. I haven't had the time or money to go to a track day til this year and I need to pick up any knowledge from you guys I can.

Thanks again for all of the responses

-Chris
Like Kev said - PM if you want to get together at your leisure - you'll find a lot of experience here from guys who have been doing this for years (I'm pushing either 5 or 6 years at the racetrack - can't recall which), and a bunch of us more than willing to give you a hand to get started.

/j