New member,First track day 4/15

ajcjr

Felt bad hijacking the other new members post so i figured id start my own. I have been lurking around this site for awhile and finally bit the bullet, bought a track bike and will be doing my first day on 4/15.

The bike i bought is a 99 SV650 w 03 EFI motor in it. I took the bike right to Markbilt, they flushed everything, oil change, new tires, new coolant (track legal), brake pads, etc.. and ran it on the dyno and freshened the suspension.

The good: i just stopped racing with the SCCA after 3.5 years, prior to that i raced karts and drag raced. So i do have experience on NJMP as well as other tracks. I had a harley for awhile and ride dirt as well. Right now i have no plans for the street. I bought the best safety equipment i could afford.

The bad: Never been on the track on two wheels, I wish i knew more about working on my bike. Im reading everything i can. Putting on these leather suits are a PITA!!!

My plan: learn, learn , learn!!! Basically im coming in and will take my time progressing, top speeds are ok but i love going through turns. I plan to slowly progress the speed and also braking markers.

I cant wait to get on track and meet some new people!!!!

One question, what track layout does N2 run at NJMP for the 4/15 event.

Romans Eight

Control Rider
Director
Welcome to your new addiction! Welcome to N2. Nice choice for a first track bike. You'll learn a lot just hanging around pit areas with guys riding same machine. I'm sure someone will chime in about NJMP track configuration. Great to have you aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Welcome!
As for putting on your suit being a PITA. You might end up loving being in your suit, I wear mine to college when we have a test, weather permitting of course. It puts me in my happy place.
You are going to have a blast!:like:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome again! As for putting on leathers...most of us wear some sort of compression base layer, UnderArmor or the like, both long pants and long sleeved shirt. It makes getting in and out of the leathers MUCH easier, they slide easily over the compression layer. Otherwise they stick to you. Especially when sweaty.

We'll be running the Thunderbolt circuit at NJMP in April. If you ever want to know which config of any track we're running, just check the schedule, it will say NJMP - Thunderbolt; VIR-Patriot, etc.:)

03bueller

Control Rider
Welcome!! Not sure if you were already planning on staying for the second day, but if not try to! You'll find that having the second day to really work on what you started the first day will help you a ton!!

Since you've never been on track (on two wheels) before you'll get put with one of us CR's, ask lots of questions and follow our lead, we're there for you, and there's no such thing as a stupid question!!

bmart

Control Rider
Welcome. You have the perfect track bike. Enjoy it! The N2 crowd is great. Ask questions. Do your best to incorporate what experienced riders tell you and get as much time with CRs as you can. You'll be able to use a lot of your knowledge of how to get around a track.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Welcome! Having been on the track on 4 wheels will help at least eliminate that "never been there" for you so you can really focus on learning the 2 wheel skills. The CRs will really be your friend! And you should really try to stay for the 2nd day. You'll really be able to build on what you picked up on the first day.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Welcome aboard, I'll be at NJMP feel free to stop over and introduce yourself and ask for any help or any questions you have. Look for the 38 foot toy hauler, KTM easy up and at least one KTM under it.

ajcjr

Welcome again! As for putting on leathers...most of us wear some sort of compression base layer, UnderArmor or the like, both long pants and long sleeved shirt. It makes getting in and out of the leathers MUCH easier, they slide easily over the compression layer. Otherwise they stick to you. Especially when sweaty.

We'll be running the Thunderbolt circuit at NJMP in April. If you ever want to know which config of any track we're running, just check the schedule, it will say NJMP - Thunderbolt; VIR-Patriot, etc.:)
Thank you, do you use the chicane (s)?

ajcjr

Welcome! Having been on the track on 4 wheels will help at least eliminate that "never been there" for you so you can really focus on learning the 2 wheel skills. The CRs will really be your friend! And you should really try to stay for the 2nd day. You'll really be able to build on what you picked up on the first day.
I'd love to stay for the 2nd day, unfortunately it's Easter!! But I will be back for others.

ajcjr

Welcome!! Not sure if you were already planning on staying for the second day, but if not try to! You'll find that having the second day to really work on what you started the first day will help you a ton!!

Since you've never been on track (on two wheels) before you'll get put with one of us CR's, ask lots of questions and follow our lead, we're there for you, and there's no such thing as a stupid question!!
Awesome thank you! I plan on asking questions and the only experience I am bringing is that I have been on track, otherwise I'm going in thinking I don't know anything so I can learn the right way!

tdelegram

Control Rider
AJ,

Forgot to mention, I competed in solo I and solo II for years in my Rx7, also did many track days in it too. Bike's are much more fun and require a whole different level of physicality and mental awareness. You'll have a blast, and try a couple of different tracks too, Summit Main is a blast and the new configuration at Pitt Race along with the repave of the old sections will make it one of the premier tracks in US.

Tom

ajcjr

AJ,

Forgot to mention, I competed in solo I and solo II for years in my Rx7, also did many track days in it too. Bike's are much more fun and require a whole different level of physicality and mental awareness. You'll have a blast, and try a couple of different tracks too, Summit Main is a blast and the new configuration at Pitt Race along with the repave of the old sections will make it one of the premier tracks in US.

Tom
Cool, I won a Mazda Rx8 from Grand Am in 2010, cool cars. I raced at Summit and love that track, did they repave it this year?

tdelegram

Control Rider
There was talks on a Main repave, I think it was postponed until fall, on a bike you can miss most of the bad stuff with a good line.