New member from NC

Mike_O

Hey! I'm Mike from Cameron! nc. I've been riding for about 7 years on the road, figured it's time to graduate from possible speeding tickets to some actual intense track riding. Dont have much time really with my work tempo to travel more than 2-250ish miles on the weekend, so I'll mainly just be able to go to NCBike and VIR if it sneaks in the schedule :).

Open to all advice, my plans are to one day do an actual race or 12, but all in good time

mpusch

Micah
Hey Mike, welcome!

Lots of good information to read through here, and good people for everything else!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Read the Riders Manual if you haven't already. It'll answer most of your questions. If you have others, ask away!

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Welcome board, Mike! We also have the new Dominion track available that should be well within your driving range. You'll be smiling from ear-to-ear after doing your first track day, for sure! (it normally wears off after about a week...)

mpusch

Micah
Welcome board, Mike! We also have the new Dominion track available that should be well within your driving range. You'll be smiling from ear-to-ear after doing your first track day, for sure! (it normally wears off after about a week...)

Should be in the rider's manual. If you experience elation lasting longer than a week, please call your doctor....and then book your next one!

Mike_O

Hahaha sounds good, I'll not not to giggle too much . read the Manuel , think I'm set on the basics. I habemt heard of the dominion track, I'll look it up tonight for sure.

I do have 2 questions bike related; is there like a "track day" insurance company that you guys go through?( sorry if that's a cherry question). And also I was thinking a set of race plastics for the bike, here really isn't many spots to mount sliders, and the sliders are the pride of a whole set of plastics ( thank you Ducati tax). I seen a tank for a few hundred also, but I figured the protectors I have in the side should cover that. Thx

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I do have 2 questions bike related; is there like a "track day" insurance company that you guys go through?( sorry if that's a cherry question). And also I was thinking a set of race plastics for the bike, here really isn't many spots to mount sliders, and the sliders are the pride of a whole set of plastics ( thank you Ducati tax). I seen a tank for a few hundred also, but I figured the protectors I have in the side should cover that. Thx

As they say, don't bring anything to the track that you aren't willing to take home in a bunch of pieces. Doesn't happen all that often, but the potential is there. As far as insurance....is your bike street legal, therefore currently registered and insured? There are a (very) few companies that will cover a track day incident, as it's not a "timed, competetive event". There was a discussion on here recently about what insurance companies may still cover closed course events. I'm not aware of any companies that only insure bikes for track-only. Also, might be a good idea to check your health insurance policy to ensure there are no exclusions for what they might consider "high risk" activities.

Personally, since my bike is track-only, I no longer carry reg/insurane.

Do a search for the discussion I mentioned, and I'm sure some others may chime in with insurance company info.

Mike_O

Yeah I have no issues if the bike ends up turning into a corner piece in the garage, I figured lowsiding it with a different set a plastics would just save me a few bucks if I were to ever resell it to someone who wants it for the street . Yeah it's insured/registered , but like you said not for the track . I've heard of people wrecking , then bringing it home and do a claim, but I'm not sure I can consciencly do that .

Haha yeah my boss at work already said "you better be wearing gear if you eat shit!" Military won't cover me if I don't , but I rarely ride without fully clothed. I'll look up that discussion , thanks .

Mike_O

Hahah exactly . I just called geico , apparently I'm covered since its not racing and its "advanced instruction on a closed course "

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Hahah exactly . I just called geico , apparently I'm covered since its not racing and its "advanced instruction on a closed course "

yah, insurance fraud just hurts us all, but I'm thinking you were joking!

Glad you called you company and they'll cover it. Some companies in some states still do if it's as you've described, you're lucky enough to have one that does!

Mike_O

Haha yeah I was totally being sarcastic , I'm a dry humor fan . Apparently it's not delivered well in my messaging skills

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
LOL, hard to read humor/emotions in written language. All good! Welcome again and hope to see you at the track in 2015!!!
Dry humor is good, you'll fit in just fine!

Myers

Control Rider
Welcome aboard Mike!! I went from ticket court appearances .... to the track and have never looked back!! It just makes sense! See you at the track!

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
Welcome Mike. A great wealth of information on the forum here, on the track and paddock. Super folks that all share the same passion. You'll have a blast!

akunochi

Infield capability evaluator
HI MIKE! Yeah we are doing VIR, NC Bike, Dominon, and Roebling at least this season...and since I sold my truck you are driving me lol.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
You've made a GREAT Decision! You're going to love the freedom and the atmosphere at a track day. It's all about having fun.