New member, I have questions!

jay956

Whats up guys. Been riding for about 2 years now. Thinking about going to VIR on the 5th, and maybe the 6th (if i can swing it with work).

I have no way of trailering the bike down, so i will be riding it down. Planning on going the day/night before and getting the bike ready for the next day, and camping.

Does the gates at VIR close at a certain time?

Do i have to take my top case rack off before i get on the track? Its a Givi rack and that thing would be a PITA to take off and put back on.

Right now i have some Pirelli Diablo Strada tires on my bike. I think they have about half of their life left. Being as this will be my first track day, I wont be pushing it at all, do you think those would suffice?

Looking forward to the addiction

OK Jay,

Why didn't you just ask us fellow NESBA members on the VFRW board eh? LOL!

I take it you haven't recived your NESBA manual in the mail yet? No problem, it's right here on the board. READ IT! It answers most questions.

But I'll help with some of your Q's.

Tires-If they do not have bad flat spots and/ or are obviouly worn, then you should be fine. In addition, run lower pressures that day. 30 psi front and back (cold). Do this in the AM. I do this right before tech inspection.

Riding the bike down? Yes, you can do it but you will be one tired Mo'fo after riding the track. I'd post up in the "Ride Share" forum and see if anybody will stop and pick you up and haul your bike down. NESBA people are pretty helpful to each other and I'd bet that would be your best bet. You may have to share gas money or something, but you'll be glad you did. Also, this is a good way to meet other NESBA members and begin to make friends. You'll be riding with these people, its always nice to get to know people before hand.

If ride share doesn't work, see if you can barrow a friends truck to haul the bike down. If not, then ride down LOL!

As far as the Givi rack. I can't see in the manual that being an issue, especially if its not loose or ready to fall off.

Others will chime in soon to help with the camping Q's at VIR for sure.

BZ

jay956

whats up bubba. good tip of the tire pressure. i know ill be tired on the way back but right now i dont see another option. plus i kinda wanted to hit the blue ride parkway on the way down ;)

just read the manual. im gona try to safety wire some stuff next week, even though its not required. im very excited. looks like ill only be able to be there on sunday though

gixxerkitten

jay956;63634 wrote: Whats up guys. Been riding for about 2 years now. Thinking about going to VIR on the 5th, and maybe the 6th (if i can swing it with work).

I have no way of trailering the bike down, so i will be riding it down. Planning on going the day/night before and getting the bike ready for the next day, and camping.

Does the gates at VIR close at a certain time?

Do i have to take my top case rack off before i get on the track? Its a Givi rack and that thing would be a PITA to take off and put back on.

Right now i have some Pirelli Diablo Strada tires on my bike. I think they have about half of their life left. Being as this will be my first track day, I wont be pushing it at all, do you think those would suffice?

Looking forward to the addiction
another option is you could use a u-haul. we did and it we brought 3 bikes in it.

RandyO

I have been using a uhaul trailer ($14 a day) works fine as I have no where to store a trailer.. I am not a big fan of riding/driving my race vehicle.. If something goes wrong, you end up with a large headache.. I would do all i could to trailer down or find someone to trailer with..

Givi rack.. if the thing could in any way be a hazard in a crash? I would get it off the bike.. Rule or no rule, getting gored by a luggage rack will ruin your day or someone elses..

I am new to track days myself. I have not had this much fun hot rodding in ages.. Congrats on the new addiction :)

jay956

see what happens when you tell me about the track betarace and bubba? i spend enough money as it is lol.

uhaul is a good idea, if my car had a hitch...... oh well, ill figure something out.

looks like i might not be able to go next month anyway. i might have a show or two to shoot on the 4th weekend. maybe ill join you in august.

betarace

come to NJMP with us on 8/8 and 8/9 - happy to rideshare/split costs, my trailer fits 1 sadly (tractor supply $390 special). bringing the VFR

Vitamin_J

Affirm on NJMP. I won't get there until Sunday (doing the CSB the rest of the week) but you can hang out with us in the suites and the RV. B riding proud like the rest of us.

betarace

you may also want to think about this route

redneck_cycle_hauler2.jpg

StreetRider

Riding the bike down may not be the best idea. Getting there is one thing, but if God forbids something should happens, how would you get the bike back home. Welcome to the addiction. On another note the above picture is hilarious-that has got to be Photoshop. I just don't see it.

jay956

thanks for all the replies. looks like i wont be able to go anyway. just got a new job and i have to work on the 4th

rk97

not to beat an irrelevant horse, but one more vote for not riding to the track if you can avoid it.

a few of us met a first timer at NJMP who had ridden roughly 7 hours from VA for his first trackday (in April). No disasters with the bike (that's largely in your control), but the weather the day he was supposed to ride back was 38 degrees and rainy.

Dave and his mom looked into renting or buying a trailer (his mom's SUV was there too), looked into renting a truck, and eventually realized it was cheaper to buy really nice rain gear than any of their other options.

but that had to be one miserable 7-hour trek back home, even if it did warm up as he got closer to VA.

Dave with the GS500 - tell the full story!

jay956

no way i would ride up to NJMP, but VIR is only about 3 hours away from me. that said, from what everyone is saying, i will be finding a way to trailer the bike down when i do go.