New old guy - Chicago area

Joe Nardy

Hi all!

I just joined NESBA and am looking forward to my first NESBA track day 5/2 at Putnam Park. I'm 50 years old and have done a couple Sport Bike Track Time track days in the past couple years. I also took the California Superbike School a couple times way back in the 80's. I've been riding street bikes for over 30 years and spent about 7 years dirt riding prior to that. I'm a moderately aggressive sport touring rider. I'm looking forward to using track time to improve my street skills. I'll be riding in the Intermediate group. My track day bike is an '04 VFR800 Interceptor. I also own an '04 FJR1300, an '83 Suzuki GS1100E and an '82 Suzuki GS1000SZ (Katana). My wife completed the MSF Basic Rider Course last fall and is working on her street skills. I hope to get her out in an Intro track session later this year. Her bike is an '02 Ninja 250. I live in Lombard, IL which is in the western suburbs of Chicago. I hope to ride both Putnam and Blackhawk Farms this year and possibly Road America. I look forward to meeting like-minded riders and sharing some fun at the tracks.

If you'd like to see lots of pics of bikes, bike trips, and bike events, check out our photo website here.

Thanks,
Joe

smack28752

You must be talking about being old in riding experience 'cause 50 is just getting started good (BTW, I turned 50 last Saturday on the track at Barber...)

Welcome to NESBA, you will love it!

beac83

Hey Joe, Welcome. There are a few of us over-50 guys and gals here. See you at the track. I'll miss Putnam Saturday, but will be there Sunday.

fossilfuel

smack28752;51495 wrote: You must be talking about being old in riding experience 'cause 50 is just getting started good (BTW, I turned 50 last Saturday on the track at Barber...)

Hey Smack,
Are you Ian's dad? That RC51 looks familiar

nodakgus

I am 48 getting set for my 4th and 5th track days at Putnam...50 is not old at all! :agree:

"You don't quit track days because you are getting old. You get old because you quit doing track days!" :cool:

tnorth

Old is just a state of mind, not age. I am also in the "I" group. You will love NESBA, very organized and a great organization. I will be riding my cbr900 silver. i will look for you on the VFR and say hi. Have fun be safe.

Joe Nardy

smack28752;51495 wrote: You must be talking about being old in riding experience 'cause 50 is just getting started good (BTW, I turned 50 last Saturday on the track at Barber...)

beac83;51496 wrote: Hey Joe, Welcome. There are a few of us over-50 guys and gals here. See you at the track. I'll miss Putnam Saturday, but will be there Sunday.
nodakgus;51539 wrote: I am 48 getting set for my 4th and 5th track days at Putnam...50 is not old at all! :agree:

"You don't quit track days because you are getting old. You get old because you quit doing track days!" :cool:
Folly1;51540 wrote:
beac83;51496 said:
Hey Joe, Welcome. There are a few of us over-50 guys and gals here.

And a few over 60. Welcome.

Ben.
tnorth;51542 wrote:
Old is just a state of mind, not age. I am also in the "I" group. You will love NESBA, very organized and a great organization. I will be riding my cbr900 silver. i will look for you on the VFR and say hi. Have fun be safe.
All,

Thank you very much for the warm welcomes. Don't get me wrong, I also feel 50 isn't old at all. I plan to be riding for MANY more years. I'm older than just about everyone I ride with and am often referred to as 'Old Dude'. However, I acknowledge the facts and I'm sure if there was an age poll of NESBA riders' ages the over 50 group might be a SLIGHT minority.

I'm looking forward to meeting those of you who will be at Putnam Saturday. I'll be on a red VFR800, I group #44 (I'll add that to my signature).

Thanks,
Joe