New to Nesba/Trackdays, got a few?s

Quickone4u

Hello guys and gals,
My name's Mike, I'm from southern Va. and I'm really looking foward to starting trackdays with Nesba and getting to know some of you. I've been street riding since 2003 and LOVE anything to do with motorcycles or riding. I've long had the love for motorcycle racing and have been wanting to start hitting the track for trackdays to continue to improve my skills and have fun with this wonderful sport I've become addicted to. For the past couple of years I've been riding more aggressively on the street and love to get out and hit the corners on a curvy mountain road every chance I get. I know the street is not the place for this nor do I want to continue riding in this manner on the street, thus my reason for joining you fine folks here at Nesba. I already have all the gear I need and my bike's in good condition but, I do have a question if any of you can help me. My bike is currently lowered about 1.5-2 inches due to me being vertically challenged at 5'3". My main reason for this is for a more comfortable footing on the street. Will I be able to pass Tech inspection, specifically for V.I.R with my bike lowered? I know the main concern with this is handling and ground clearance at lean. I'm not trying to sound like a squid/bad boy but, I have had the bike leaned quite a bit with no problems scraping or handling, no chicken strips if that helps. I just want to give as clear indication as to how the bike is in this setup and to see what you guys think as far as the bike being able to pass tech. I have no problem raising it back up for the track but, I do prefer this setup for the street. Thanks for any help in advance and I look foward to hopefully meeting some of you soon!

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
check out the riders manual....but in B group, you will usually not have a problem unless your bike is a major safety concern for yourself and others

ride and enjoy...dont get hurt, cuz santa may need ya next year ;-P

Katie785

It will pas tech, but lowering the bike changes the geometry and it will handle poorly. The suspension will not work like it should and you will notice it on the track.

You might want to think about getting rid of the lowering links while at the track. We have quite a few shorter riders with us and, luckily, on the track there's no stop-and-go; so all you need to worry about is sitting at the grid waiting to go out, and getting off the bike once you've gotten back into the pits. It will make quite a nice improvement on the handling of that bike!

FYI: Gary Yankosie is not the tallest guy, especially on a 1000, but he won a WERA championship this year.. he just does the one-leg-over-the bike at the start move.. so it's do-able, you just need to go out there and try

Quickone4u

Katie785;38393 wrote: It will pas tech, but lowering the bike changes the geometry and it will handle poorly. The suspension will not work like it should and you will notice it on the track.

You might want to think about getting rid of the lowering links while at the track. We have quite a few shorter riders with us and, luckily, on the track there's no stop-and-go; so all you need to worry about is sitting at the grid waiting to go out, and getting off the bike once you've gotten back into the pits. It will make quite a nice improvement on the handling of that bike!

FYI: Gary Yankosie is not the tallest guy, especially on a 1000, but he won a WERA championship this year.. he just does the one-leg-over-the bike at the start move.. so it's do-able, you just need to go out there and try
Yeh, that's kinda along the lines of what I figured, which is no problem. When I first got this bike, I rode with it for a little while at stock height and like you said, I got along with one legging it. I just feel more comfortable as far as street riding goes having it lowered for better footing and the better footing feels safer to me especially when I have my lady on the back. I know it will improve the handling of the bike also although I did keep the correct geometry by lowering the forks in the triple. This just gives me more reason to turn it into a track bike and to by me a new one for the street, which I've also been wanting to do. I'm already addicted to the track and haven't even turned a wheel on it yet:adore: Thanks for the quick replies. Does anybody have any other advice as far as getting started goes?

Quickone4u

lemondrop;38414 wrote: get a second job to pay for the addiction
Yeh, no joke! That's what has takin me so long to get this far, no cashola:banghead: I'm getting ready to do a little fork maintanence( replacing seals, oil, bushings), replacing brake pads all the way around(any advice on brand? just curious), ss braided lines at least on the front, and replacing the sprockets and chain. I've been running Pirellis Corsa 3's for a while now and absolutely love these tires, planning on a fresh set before popping my cherry. I already have an AGV two piece and recently purchased Alpinestar's SG-1 one piece suit. I have a nice Suomy helmet but is a couple years old and recently purchased a new Arai. I feel like I mostly have my things in line, all I need to do now is find the money for my trackday and membership fees. I'm thinking I'm going to try V.I.R.s Patriot course for my first time, lower cost, fewer turns to learn, and a little less speed at first. Personally, I couldn't think of a better hobby/passion to sink my money into and I guess that's a good thing because, uhh yeh, not cheap! Anything, I'm missing?

snikwad

You sound like me a year ago. I was the biggest track addict who's never been. Now I'm fiending like crazy, and my bike is barely street legal.

BTW, by dry fork, do you mean norfolk?

Nesba is great man, and there are lots on nesbians in the hampton roads area if that's where you are.

I def agree with Katie, raise it back up. I've ridden a few lowered bikes,a nd they all steer like a school bus. At the track, you'll def have trouble once you up the pace. On the streets in the twisties, you think you're going fast, and you think it handles fine, but trust me, at the track it will feel like crap. Then again, you mau not notice it since you're so used to it. When you raise it up, you'll def notice the improvement tho.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Summit Jefferson is a really good track to learn on. You can get like 20 laps in a session.

snikwad

My 1st TD was at summit JC last june. I can't wait to go back there. Mmm mmm that track is ridiculous. I love it.

Quickone4u

snikwad;38418 said:
BTW, by dry fork, do you mean norfolk?

Haha, nah, I actually mean Dry Fork! Yeh, you don't here that one every day. It's about 20 minutes north of Danville,Va. and about 30 minutes or so from V.I.R. I go out there for alot of races every year and have always loved that track. Thanks for all the advice everybody, keep it coming if you think of more. I do believe I'll raise it back up and try getting use to it a bit on the street first to see how it goes. Yeh, I am use to it being lowered but at the same time I do know the track is a whole nother beast then the street. My cousin has ridden my bike and said it handled like a brick, lol, and I rode his stock 05 zx6r and coud definately tell the difference. Much lighter,quicker turn in, but at the same time I never notice on my bike because that's what I'm use to and comfortable with. We'll see I guess.

snikwad

Damn 30 mins from VIR and you're not there every weekend riding. Man you're BSing... Bet get on track yo.
For real. All you have to pay is track and membership fees. Hell, you can ride to the track. Lol.

Quickone4u

snikwad;38426 wrote: Damn 30 mins from VIR and you're not there every weekend riding. Man you're BSing... Bet get on track yo.
For real. All you have to pay is track and membership fees. Hell, you can ride to the track. Lol.
Yeh, for real man! That's what's next on the budget, times are tight but I gotta get out there. I just have to get these few things done to the bike first and then it's all going for track time. Man, I'm drooling just sitting here thinking about it, I can't wait

snikwad

The day you get done its over. You'll be like a damn crack addict, but only a track addict.

Be prepared to stay broke, lol. Gf's gonna have to pay for dates. Better prepare her.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Agree with what's been said, the bike will handle better if it's put back to stock height. However, I have known a couple of short folks at the track with bikes lowered to accommodate them and they have done just fine. It's just not optimal.

The Pirelli DCIIIs are an excellent track day tire. Guys use them well into the Advanced group. You can't go wrong with a set, and NESBA has great prices on them.

If you get a bit further north, perhaps I'll see you. Summit, NJMP. Don't think I'll get to VIR this year.

vanelli56

Quickone4u;38417 wrote: I'm thinking I'm going to try V.I.R.s Patriot course for my first time, lower cost, fewer turns to learn, and a little less speed at first. Personally, I couldn't think of a better hobby/passion to sink my money into and I guess that's a good thing because, uhh yeh, not cheap! Anything, I'm missing?

Dont let its size fool you... the patriot course, just like any course can be pretty technical. In this case because it is so short, you have to stay even more focused on what happening because it happens so fast.
But I think each course has its challenges, fun parts, technical parts, mental and physical demanding parts.... just some more then others.

But yes.... the patriot is a BLAST!!!!!

I also HIGHLY recommend Roebling Rd, near Savannah GA. GREAT TRACK, a few nice sweepers, some technical turns, and a front straightaway that you can click thru all the way to 6th gear....then sweep into turn one at on heck of a pace! If that does not get you pumped up....I dont know what would.

Welcome to the addiction!!!:third:

dudette

Welcome to nesba. I ride a stock 07cbr600 rr and I'm 5' 2". I had a ninja 600 I lowered and didn't have any issues at beave and pocono. I also rode a stock R6 and just through my one leg over so I could touch at pitout. Once you're going you'll be ok. Like Katie said, no starting and stopping on the track. If you'll feel more comfortable lowered than try it but you'll be fine raised back to stock.
Donna
07cbr600rr
B#626

snikwad

dudette;44575 wrote: Welcome to nesba. I ride a stock 07cbr600 rr and I'm 5' 2". I had a ninja 600 I lowered and didn't have any issues at beave and pocono. I also rode a stock R6 and just through my one leg over so I could touch at pitout. Once you're going you'll be ok. Like Katie said, no starting and stopping on the track. If you'll feel more comfortable lowered than try it but you'll be fine raised back to stock.
hahaha :haha:

Quickone4u

Bike is back up to stock height, got some new goodies put on and ready to go except for some new rubber right before my trackday. Just have to save for the track time now! Yeh, I never had any issues riding my bike before at stock height, I just liked having a little better footing while riding on the street. Can't wait to get out there now, tick tock tick tock!

smack28752

Hey Mike, welcome to the NESBA clan. As many have said, it is an addiction but as I tell my wife, I ain't doing drugs or chasing women!:D

VIR is awsome, with four course configurations. I have not done the PATRIOT so I cannot comment on it. SOUTH might be a good option for you to start on too. It has a bit of everything, tight technical turns, the Oak Tree, a FAST straight leading into a 180 degree hairpin! The FULL course is very fast and much more fun than I thought it would be. Then there is NORTH, my favorite race track!

Carolina Motorsports Park just south of Charlotte is an excellent place too and it is fairly inexpensive.

Hope to see you out there!

rk97

smack28752;44674 wrote: as I tell my wife, I ain't doing drugs or chasing women!:D
that 'excuse' only works for so long though...

When I leave for track weekends, I'll kiss the gf goodbye and say something like "oh don't look so sad! it's not like i'm running off with some college girl!"

her standard reply is now, "yeah yeah... don't burn your d!@k humping the exhaust pipe." :wow:

do i know how to pick 'em or what?:rolleyes: