Newbie? Coaching

Bobean

I’m trying my first track day at Road Atlanta July 2. I’m wondering what the coach options are. I’m not a racer nor trying to be on (old guy) but I’m always trying to improve my skills and safety.

How is coaching offered at a track day?
TIA

bmart

Control Rider
Welcome!

Coaching is free for all and coaches will be circulating with participants in the Novice and Intermediate groups all day both days. They will offer guidance on track and in the paddock. Come say hello. We love helping and hanging out.

What will you be riding?

Bobean

I have a BMW R1250RS that has been been tuned. My favorite bike I’ve owned. Not the perfect track bike but perfect for me. I’m blessed with living up in the Carolina mountains with some incredible roads. So I’m hoping to learn more about handling in the twisties.

bmart

Control Rider
Great bike! You'll have a blast. I ride in the NC mountains and surrounding area also. Hit me off list if you'd like to connect out there. We got in 150 miles there today.

Also, I try to do a track walk on Friday evenings after getting set up. You're welcome to join.

Bobean

I’ll be coming in Saturday evening with our toy hauler and spending the night to ride Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Kirk J Erlinger

Welcome!

Coaching is free for all and coaches will be circulating with participants in the Novice and Intermediate groups all day both days. They will offer guidance on track and in the paddock. Come say hello. We love helping and hanging out.

What will you be riding?
Coaching available for ADV group too?
thanks

brucejmknopf

Welcome!

What will you be riding?
I am riding my first track day July 3. I signed up for an Elite Membership with the understanding that it provides one-on-one coaching as one of the benefits. What can I expect in this “one-on-one coaching?

brucejmknopf

I am riding my first track day July 3. I signed up for an Elite Membership with the understanding that it provides one-on-one coaching as one of the benefits. What can I expect in this “one-on-one coaching?
After having just re-read the Riders’ Manual, im thinking that perhaps iI was mistaken about an increased level of coaching with the Elite Membership. No matter.

After having just re-read the Riders’ Manual, im thinking that perhaps iI was mistaken about an increased level of coaching with the Elite Membership. No matter.

@brucejmknopf and @Bobean

Here’s how to get to the chewy center of the lollipop.

The first event of the day will be registration and technical inspection at 7:00am.

At 8:15am is the Rider’s Meeting.

The Track Day Director will give a general safety brief to everyone.

The Advanced riders will be dismissed back to their paddocks to get going as the first group on the track.

While they’re walking off, the Intermediate and Novice Groups will stay in the same area but break off into their respective groups and the Control Riders / Coaches will review some additional points.

After the N2 staff get done with their additional points is when you first want to get a Control Rider / Coach’s attention that you‘d like to work with somebody. There are about 3-4 Control Riders / Coaches for Intermediate and Novice Groups and around 20 riders so the Control Riders’ attention can easily get consumed with all the other things they‘re attending to.

Be vocal and make it clear you want a Coach’s focus and support. Get the Coach’s name, color of bike and bike number. That way you can look for him/her when you grid up.

The event very well may have a classroom session for the Novice group while the Advanced Group riders are out on the track. This is another opportunity to be bold and vocal. Waiting for a Control Rider to offer help probably won’t be fruitful.

Remember, it’s Novice Group so don’t feel like everyone else around you is some kind of crack expert…they’re not. They’re learning just like you are. You don’t have to worry about judging eyes and ears if you blurt out, “I don’t care what anybody thinks about my skills….today is all about me and my desire to learn! Which of you Coaches is going to put me on the path to proficiency?!?!”

Track riding is like 50% skills and lap times. The other 50% is the great people from all walks of life that put aside our televised differences and come out to have some fun.

Hope to meet you guys!

brucejmknopf

@brucejmknopf and @Bobean

Here’s how to get to the chewy center of the lollipop.

The first event of the day will be registration and technical inspection at 7:00am.

At 8:15am is the Rider’s Meeting.

The Track Day Director will give a general safety brief to everyone.

The Advanced riders will be dismissed back to their paddocks to get going as the first group on the track.

While they’re walking off, the Intermediate and Novice Groups will stay in the same area but break off into their respective groups and the Control Riders / Coaches will review some additional points.

After the N2 staff get done with their additional points is when you first want to get a Control Rider / Coach’s attention that you‘d like to work with somebody. There are about 3-4 Control Riders / Coaches for Intermediate and Novice Groups and around 20 riders so the Control Riders’ attention can easily get consumed with all the other things they‘re attending to.

Be vocal and make it clear you want a Coach’s focus and support. Get the Coach’s name, color of bike and bike number. That way you can look for him/her when you grid up.

The event very well may have a classroom session for the Novice group while the Advanced Group riders are out on the track. This is another opportunity to be bold and vocal. Waiting for a Control Rider to offer help probably won’t be fruitful.

Remember, it’s Novice Group so don’t feel like everyone else around you is some kind of crack expert…they’re not. They’re learning just like you are. You don’t have to worry about judging eyes and ears if you blurt out, “I don’t care what anybody thinks about my skills….today is all about me and my desire to learn! Which of you Coaches is going to put me on the path to proficiency?!?!”

Track riding is like 50% skills and lap times. The other 50% is the great people from all walks of life that put aside our televised differences and come out to have some fun.

Hope to meet you guys!
Thanks!! Great advice!!! Look forward to meeting you if you are going to be at the NJ track on the 3rd