Newbie windscreen question

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Unfortunately due to wrecking I have to keep replacing my windscreens. I have a 2009 R6 with track bodywork that only has holes for the bottom 4 holes of a windscreen. The windscreen on the bike when I bought it was a ZG and it had 4 lower holes connected to the body work and 2 top holes connecting the windscreen to the fairing stay. After I cracked that one I bought another ZG expecting it to have the same, but when I got it there were only the 4 bottom holes. Thinking it needed them I drilled the two top holes and connected it to the fairing stay although it didn't seem like it was a natural fit. I cracked that one and now got a Puig and it definitely does not seem formed to fit to the fairing stay, just has the bottom 4 holes.

Is this normal to only have the windscreen mounted to body work and not the fairing stay? The fairing stay has holes for the stock windscreen, but these aftermarket windscreens don't seem to fit naturally with the fairing stay.

beevan217

This may sound crazy but, did you order or did they send you the correct windscreen??? I have an 07 R6 & it has the holes at the top portion but, I think the R6 08+ only have the 4 holes on the lower portion. I could be wrong though. Hope you get it worked out

D-Swens

Zero gravity makes several profiles (OEM, Double-bubble, sport-touring, ect) of their windscreen in regular R6 shape,

then they also make a "Kit" race screen, not listed on their website, first developed for Graves Yamaha. Both look almost identical, but the race screen is molded to be used without mirrors and upper supports on the stock stay. It has more material around the fairing stay, and can be drilled and fitted better there. It also fits better down at the bottom, with the elimination of the OEM tabs, and a flatter fit.

GET THE RACE SCREEN, it fits a lot better and you'll be a lot happier. (also costs the same)

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Yes, it is the correct windscreen. I'm guessing it only uses the four bottom holes. The bodywork is still solid even without the windscreen connecting to the fairing stay so I'm just going to run it and see what happens.