Ninja 650R for track use

paris400

Anyone here own this bike and use it for the track? What kind of mods have you done to it, if any, that have benefitted you on the track. I already read the FAQ on the tech inspection and got that covered. I'm going to put some sport bars and the Race Tech Emulators soon - anything else?

Thanks.

rk97

emulators will rock your world. good call. That improved front suspension will make stainless brake lines that much more useful as well. that's what I'd change next.

ordinarily I'd suggest swapping fork springs while the emulators are being installed, but as a female rider, you're probably fine with the stock springs.

Don't go nuts (or broke) modifying the bike for your first TD. I was amazed by how much my bike was capable of in stock trim, and mine was 11 years old before I ever got it to the track :p

paris400

I've been riding better in the tucked position and am now eager to get rid of the touring windscreen and get some sport bars on. The emulators will come soon. Don't plan on going broke either - good thing to point out! It's easy to do when you see how easy it is to mod the 650R.

And Blue Ridge Performance is great - I ordered an Arrow Exhaust and some other stuff from Gary last year and he's great to talk to. It's a wonderful resource for 650R riders. I need someone to install the emulators who won't charge me an arm and a leg when I order them!

Steve

Re: installing the emulators.
It's a bit of a hike for you, but i know others that travel as far for Washington Cycle Works in NJ. He's one of the few people I'll let work on my bike and I think he's pretty fair. www.washingtoncycleworks.com is their website, Ron is the guy to talk to.

See you out there!

geekmug

paris400;107062 wrote: Anyone here own this bike and use it for the track? What kind of mods have you done to it, if any, that have benefitted you on the track. I already read the FAQ on the tech inspection and got that covered. I'm going to put some sport bars and the Race Tech Emulators soon - anything else?
I used this bike to do my very first track day. I had already swapped the bars for the sport bar kit and was using BT016s.. otherwise, everything was stock.

I've never rode an SV650, but I suspect they are approximately the same in terms of performance and fitness for the track. I couldn't imagine using it at a track without the sportbars, the body position with the OEM bars is *way* too upright to start trying to learn good body position for cornering. As others have indicated, the suspension has less than ideal wonkiness, but it was completely manageable and fine for my first learning experience; the emulators should help with that.

I honestly wouldn't recommend upgrading or swapping other parts out before you go to a trackday. If it is your first time, I promise the mods you are planning to do are plenty good for learning and having a blast. Anything else you do, I would do it only because you feel like it is holding you back in some way. And, like me, if you decided you really love riding on the track, you may decide that it is simpler to get a different, purpose-built bike.

I still have the 650R and have been using it for commuting and the occasional joyride. But, I ended up buying a 600RR for the track, because there is really is no comparison to a purpose-built track bike.

paris400

Awesome! I can't wait to get out there. I still have the original BT-020s, hopefully I'll wear them out the first day so I can get the 16s; also, the Arrow exhaust is nice and added a little pep to the acceleration. Ordering the sport bars today and will see how much the emulators are in the end.

dlockhart5x

geekmug;107216 wrote: because there is really is no comparison to a purpose-built track bike.
:agree:

even a decade old TZ250 will grossly out handle any of the current streetbikes.
not much you can do about the weight of a production pig

it's a shame so few riders get/got to experience a purpose built race bike.

other than that riding a lightweight like a SV or ninja 650 is probably one of the best ways to learn skills besides twisting the grip. (cuz you don't have that option)

I know blueridge ran on par with the SVs in moto ST. Pump them for set-up info. Sag, ride heights, shock lengths and so on.

It should be a very fun ride.

paris400

I've seen your Aprilia RS250 in action in Spain - amazing!

I've already talked to Blue Ridge about how to set it up for the track; they're a great resource. The 650R is only the beginning!