No brakes and no shifting drill

Hyper

Apr 12, 2010
So I have my first track day coming up at Putnam this weekend and like anyone doing something new, I am researching and trying to learn everything I can. I've read a few books, watched a few videos, read all the helpful (and some not so much) advice on this and other forums. And then I came across the "No brakes and no shifting drill" and I am wondering if anyone here endorses it or what your thoughts are. It seems to make sense to me but what do i know, I'm new! But there would seem to be some logic in taking your laps smooth and fluid while concentrating on turn-entry, apexes, lines, etc rather than braking points and coordinated shifting. But like I said what do I know...

http://www.superbikeschool.com/news/press-coverage/mc_july99.php

At the end of the article..."The result? I was only two-tenths of a second faster rattling through the gearbox and rushing into the corners on the binders than I was in smooth, fluid, no-brakes mode. Just two-tenths of a second from besting my quickest time during two days of analyzing and attacking the track from all angles. Amazing!"

ronhix

Jul 10, 2008
Not a good idea.

If you try to do the "no brakes drill" or the "run the whole lap in one gear" type drill you will inevitably become a safety hazard to the riders around you. These drills are better used in a school setting as opposed to a track day setting.

If you want to work on your skills, be sure to introduce yourself to me and the other CR's at the event and we will be glad to work with you. :)

Hyper

Apr 12, 2010
ronhix;123814 wrote: If you want to work on your skills, be sure to introduce yourself to me and the other CR's at the event and we will be glad to work with you. :)
Yes and I will absolutely do that! Thanks

Demps

Jul 12, 2008
ronhix;123814 wrote: Not a good idea.

If you try to do the "no brakes drill" or the "run the whole lap in one gear" type drill you will inevitably become a safety hazard to the riders around you. These drills are better used in a school setting as opposed to a track day setting.

If you want to work on your skills, be sure to introduce yourself to me and the other CR's at the event and we will be glad to work with you. :)
:agree: Talk to Ron Hix....the man, the myth, the legend.

fitz

Jul 27, 2009
I've done it a few times following CRs, quite by accident. It's all about being smooth, better lines, faster/smoother corner entry//exit. I just focus on following that line and what do you know I'm going faster without all that hard on the gas/brake stuff, which seems to just hinder your learning.

Donnyballgame

Jul 31, 2008
There is another org that does this with the whole beginner group in a session before lunch. It is a good idea, but not neccesarily worth dedicating a whole session for.

Matt H

Jul 10, 2008
These can be great drills (as can others), but as Ron stated, if you are doing these and everyone else is not, it is a HUGE safety problem. It is not what other riders are expecting when approaching you at speed. Hence why they are only good when ALL riders are doing this and expeciting it of other riders - as in a school.

betarace

Jul 14, 2008
it's a good drill, I have done it with CSS at every level/first session, but would advise against it with NESBA given the variety of skills and speeds on the track. The only place I would remotely consider it are the first 2 laps of the day, first 2 sessions in B group under yellow (no passing) and then only with extreme care (i.e., at the back of the slow pack).

as a compromise, suggest you practice the principles of the drill: smoothness on brakes, gas synchronized braking and downshifting and don't get hung up on doing anything abrupt. Smoothness is rewarded by faster lap times, and you can be smooth using a fewer gears and lighter brakes.

pajixxer

Brad Burns
Control Rider
Apr 15, 2009
Beaver, PA
It being your first trackday, just ask the cr's for some help. Your going to completely overwhelmed with everything your learning, and most of the time the first thing to work on is body positioning. Then you can start to work on shaving those 0.2 seconds off your best time :)

beac83

Jul 12, 2008
At Putnam, in B, you can pretty easily get around the track in 2nd and 3rd only, with 4th on the front straight on a 600. On a literbike, you can probably do it all in 3rd in you wanted. Many new riders don't shift much at first, because there is so much else to absorb and think about.

I've done the drills at a school, and they were useful there. But like others have said, I wouldn't do it at a trackday.

Welcome to NESBA. Come by and say Hi. I'm on bike #83.

nickmick

Feb 9, 2009
yeah i wouldn't necessarily keep myself in one gear, but I would highly recommend you don't get caught up in "what gear to use".

my first trackday i was up/down/sideways shifting like no tomorrow. i went over to stevie b (i think?) and asked him what gears to use when. he said, "you know how many gears i was using to tow you around? one."

Hyper

Apr 12, 2010
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I hope meet many new people this weekend. I am riding my Hypermotard and while it isn't the fastest thing it is pretty darn fun and with the torque it makes I could probably pick one of several gears and make it around. But I am there to learn, listen to the CRs and have fun. See everyone on Saturday.

BTW what time does the gate open at Putnam and what is the deal with finding a spot to setup?

ronhix

Jul 10, 2008
The line starts forming at 6:30am, gates open at 7:00am and you just pick a spot (first come first serve).

binx_19

Apr 19, 2009
Depending on the track, you wont even need to shift the first 2 sessions of :b: anyways, so focus on learning the track those 2 sessions, and dont try to keep up if you cannot go that pace.

rk97

Jul 13, 2008
Hyper;123813 wrote: At the end of the article..."The result? I was only two-tenths of a second faster rattling through the gearbox and rushing into the corners on the binders than I was in smooth, fluid, no-brakes mode. Just two-tenths of a second from besting my quickest time during two days of analyzing and attacking the track from all angles."
I hate to sound elitist, but whoever wrote that article must have really been struggling...

only .2 seconds difference? I MIGHT believe 2 full seconds difference.

Even at a moderate "B" pace, if I'm braking, and the guy next to me is just going to coast down to his entry speed for turn 1, he has to be off the gas waaaay more than .2 seconds earlier than me if we're going to enter the turn at the same speed.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Oct 20, 2008
NJ
ronhix;123814 wrote: Not a good idea.

Make sure you see Ron...Welcome to NESBA!!