NooB gear question.

DUG

Hello,
Newcomer here, had some questions about gloves for my first track day.

I know the regs call for full length gloves, but right now I have the 3/4 length Alpinestar gloves. Will those be acceptable? They are only a few inches shorter but still cover my wrists and jacket cuffs.

Thanks,
DUG

DUG

gloves

I have the Alpinestar S-1 gloves. :notsure:

And an Alpinestars jacket with armour and track pants that zip together. + AStar track boots of course.

thanks, DUG

slow50

Those gloves may be "ok" because they cover the wrist bone but I personally you recommend you get a pair of full length gloves with a adjustable velcro at the base of the wrist to keep the glove secure on your hands. I went through the same thought process when I started.....then I spoke with a view friends that had been down before......then I went and bought the best stuff I could afford. I personally like Held gloves but to each their own.

Gorecki

These gloves really kind of test the edge of the required 'Leather gauntlet-type gloves that cover the wrists and leave no skin exposed.' I would hate to be going through tech and get dinged because of them.

I've been convinced going with Helds or Heroics you can't go wrong. Others will get you through tech but save yourself the trouble and get good stuff the first time, unlike I did. :eek:

Landshark

Control Rider
Gorecki;184574 wrote: These gloves really kind of test the edge of the required 'Leather gauntlet-type gloves that cover the wrists and leave no skin exposed.' I would hate to be going through tech and get dinged because of them.

I've been convinced going with Helds or Heroics you can't go wrong. Others will get you through tech but save yourself the trouble and get good stuff the first time, unlike I did. :eek:
Glovse must be Gauntlet type.
While you may have a foam pad in the back of your jacket it does not offer any where near the protection of a separate back protector.
Boots must be purpose built for motorcycles and must be a full boot not a 3/4 boot.
Pant must fasten to the jacket via a 360 circumference zipper.
Basically no exposed skin or could be exposed from the leather layers moving.

Please read the riders manual. Gear is defined on page 16.

DUG

replies

Landshark.. I did read the manaul. Otherwise I wouldnt have asked about the gloves.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Gorecki;184574 wrote: These gloves really kind of test the edge of the required 'Leather gauntlet-type gloves that cover the wrists and leave no skin exposed.' I would hate to be going through tech and get dinged because of them.
I agree. They are the S-1, correct, not the SP-1 (which are gauntlets)? There's a review of them I watched that shows all sides. While they look longer and semi-gauntlet-like on the outside, the underside and inside are what I would definitely consider shorty gloves. They aren't advertised as gauntlets, either, but rather as beefed-up shorties. The manual calls for gauntlets. I'd consider them very questionable. Hopefully a CR will chime in with a definitive answer. My not-so-humble opinion? I wouldn't wear those on the track.

See Landshark's other comments...is the zipper on the suit full-circumferance, or does it just go across the back? Gotta be full.

I'm a big fan of Helds. I saw some Heroics last year, and they looked good also.

DUG

Gear

The zipper goes all the way around. Well as far as "360" actually is. The jacket and pants are advertised as such but it probably has a 6-8 inch section in the front that isnt adjoined by the zipper. I was worried about this at first but I looked at several "360" zippered suits and they were all like that. Any thoughts on this?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
DUG;184582 wrote: The zipper goes all the way around. Well as far as "360" actually is. The jacket and pants are advertised as such but it probably has a 6-8 inch section in the front that isnt adjoined by the zipper. I was worried about this at first but I looked at several "360" zippered suits and they were all like that. Any thoughts on this?
That's fine, as far as I know. I believe, too, that's how most "full circumference" suits are made. What they don't want to see are the pants and jacket only attached across the back by a ~6 inch zipper, so I think you're fine with the suit.

beac83

Welcome to NESBA Dug.

As others have said, we pay a lot of attention to lowering the risk (i.e. safety) here. Even if the S-1's would pass tech, I wouldn't want to have them on during one of my slides down the track at 80+ mph.

While none of us want to or plan to put the bike down, it can and does happen. My advice is to get a pair of gloves that will protect you. The A* SP-1's protected me in my first off quite well, and weren't nearly as expensive as the pair I use now. Good gear is a solid investment, much cheaper than any ER visit.

tittys04

beac83;184587 wrote: Welcome to NESBA Dug.
none of us want to or plan to put the bike down
that's not true, I plan on it every time I'm on the track. It makes those days that I don't crash that much sweeter... and the days I do much easier to deal with

:notsure: or something like that. haha

jfeagin

If you need to go a bit cheaper on gloves, I had a pair of A* SP-2s that held up very well for several crashes. They cost under $100 and only became a minor issue in the last crash when a couple of small holes developed, enough for a little friction burn here and there. The gloves never came off.

Now I have a pair of the Ayden Lee gloves. Extremely comfortable, fit is same as A*, but they did cost close to double what I paid for my first pair. Lots more protection for the money, though. Worth looking into if you can spare the coin.

DUG

Thanks for the thought. price isnt really an issue. I just need to find a shop close by that has some to try on. Im your typical wide guy.. So its tough to get stuff that fits.

And Ive been checkin out Kruzel's graphics. Pretty cool.! Anyone know what his turn around time is?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
DUG;184627 wrote: Thanks for the thought. price isnt really an issue. I just need to find a shop close by that has some to try on. Im your typical wide guy.. So its tough to get stuff that fits.

And Ive been checkin out Kruzel's graphics. Pretty cool.! Anyone know what his turn around time is?
Graphics are the best, but you're going to wait for them. I've been waiting a couple weeks so far for the drawings. What do you need? If it's just numbers it might be quicker. If you just need numbers another option is vinylsaurous. PM gkotlin on here.

DUG

graphics

I'm not sure yet. Depends on my bike choice. But ill probably get some graphics that are at least somewhat offensive, to match my personality.:argh::adore:

gemiller

Trust me I know the problem finding gear that fits big guys, Alpinestars was the only one that met my needs (275lbs and 6'6", although in pretty decent shape, just big in general) and alpinestars stuff fit great.

Gorecki

gemiller;184644 wrote: Trust me I know the problem finding gear that fits big guys, Alpinestars was the only one that met my needs (275lbs and 6'6", although in pretty decent shape, just big in general) and alpinestars stuff fit great.
Awe heck, it's not just big guys. I'm 5' 9", 160lbs, you would think EVERYTHING is taylor made for my size but NOOOOOO. I'm a tweener on just about everything! Seems like virtually everything is just a little small, go a size up, just a little big. So then what's left comes down to the differences in vendor sizing. :confused:

So everything always comes down to measure twice and at worst order twice, because trying things on isn't happening when there isn't a single retailer (I'm aware of) within the same state. :rolleyes:

But sooner or later we all get there. :D

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Ha, I feel your pain with the gear. Try finding women's gear. Way less choices, but more than when I first started looking 15 years ago! I ended up going custom.